• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You would choose a small character (not in terms of size but rather popularity and appearances) over someone like Venom?

What do you base it on? Age of the book?

Both are valuable but not so much in terms of the character imo but rather in terms of which run they are appearing in. Yes Morbius is getting a movie but let's take IM 55 for instance, that book is half the value of ASM 101 in the same grade, but Thanos is a far larger character in terms of success then a wannabe Dracula.

The ASM 300 is a paradox

Venom is supremely popular and the book is always in demand but readily available, so in my opinion it does not meet the criteria in terms of value by the supply and demand method but rather the "how much will someone pay for it?" Method in terms of a items true value

Someone paid 15k for a 9.8 with 5 sigs and a remark, and 2 of those sigs were by lesser known artists and writers

My point was that I wouldn’t pay 5K for a 9.8 ASM 300.  I wouldn’t pay 10k for a 9.8 ASM 101 either.   Both books are vastly overpriced IMO.

2 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

My point was that I wouldn’t pay 5K for a 9.8 ASM 300.  I wouldn’t pay 10k for a 9.8 ASM 101 either.   Both books are vastly overpriced IMO.

An it is an astute opinion

If you had 10k to spend on a book right now what would it be?

For me it would be ASM 14 9.0

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Seems like that would be an overpay ... Bob Storms only recently sold mine for $7,500.

I'll vote for Silver Surfer #1 in CGC 9.6 WP, but ideally I would like to pay $8,500.

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I love ASM 14:cloud9:

Honestly, I can’t think of a book I’d drop 10K on right now.   The market gives me great pause...

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not really the best time to be shopping for that book.  2c

You're not wrong.  I'll be able to sell my 9.4 to soften the blow, but the timing on the buy side is bad.

It's only one of many books I'm trying to upgrade -- I did all right finding reasonable deals on #121, 122, 129, and 135 recently but I may have to be more patient with #101.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You're not wrong.  I'll be able to sell my 9.4 to soften the blow, but the timing on the buy side is bad.

It's only one of many books I'm trying to upgrade -- I did all right finding reasonable deals on #121, 122, 129, and 135 recently but I may have to be more patient with #101.

Has ASM 124 spiked like 101?  I can’t see Marvel doing Vampires, and not doing werewolves at the same time. 

13 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Seems like that would be an overpay ... Bob Storms only recently sold mine for $7,500.

I'll vote for Silver Surfer #1 in CGC 9.6 WP, but ideally I would like to pay $8,500.

Oh I definitely wouldn't be paying a straight 10k, but the book is rising significantly

Another book I might buy in a decent grade fantastic four 52

32 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

You would choose a small character (not in terms of size but rather popularity and appearances) over someone like Venom?

What do you base it on? Age of the book?

Both are valuable but not so much in terms of the character imo but rather in terms of which run they are appearing in. Yes Morbius is getting a movie but let's take IM 55 for instance, that book is half the value of ASM 101 in the same grade, but Thanos is a far larger character in terms of success then a wannabe Dracula.

The ASM 300 is a paradox

Venom is supremely popular and the book is always in demand but readily available, so in my opinion it does not meet the criteria in terms of value by the supply and demand method but rather the "how much will someone pay for it?" Method in terms of a items true value

Someone paid 15k for a 9.8 with 5 sigs and a remark, and 2 of those sigs were by lesser known artists and writers

The supply side of the equation can be a head-scratcher.  Relative to other books from their respective periods, both AF #15 and FF #48 are considered to be in plentiful supply, but it hasn't stopped either of them from getting and staying hot.  I don't know off-hand but I have to imagine there's no supply problem with books like Hulk #181 either.

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I haven't managed to upgrade it yet, so DON'T SAY ANYTHING. :p

I can tell you that GPA on #124 is around $775 but one sold on Heritage two weeks ago for $960.

What grade are we talking about? 9.6?

6 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

The supply side of the equation can be a head-scratcher.  Relative to other books from their respective periods, both AF #15 and FF #48 are considered to be in plentiful supply, but it hasn't stopped either of them from getting and staying hot.  I don't know off-hand but I have to imagine there's no supply problem with books like Hulk #181 either.

Nope

I think it really comes down too popularity of the character

The Superheroes will always sell better

X-Men

Spidey 

Hulk

And then the anti heroes

Deadpool (definitely impacted by movies)

Venom

Harley Quinn

And then Villains, mostly Spideys 

Green Goblin

Mysterious

Doc Oc

Vulture

Ect

DC villains have definitely taken a hit

Nobody seems to care about Darkseid despite the threat of a New God's Movie and The Snider Cut

I'd say the popularity or heat in terms of selling on FF 52 might be due to Chadwicks passing as much as it is too the upcoming BP2

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yes, the current quest is to upgrade #101-150 from 9.4 to 9.6 WP.  I've knocked out 19 of 50 so far.

I’ve followed your sales threads as you release the under copies  after upgrading.  Beautiful 9.4 examples.(thumbsu

23 minutes ago, AnkurJ said:

Nothing wrong with feeling this way. I took a break from comics about 10 years ago and started collecting something else. A few years later when I started looking at comics then, the enjoyment was much more than it was before! And it still continues today. Sometimes its good to take a step back and refocus. 

Regarding the comics etc being a burden to your family. Give your most trusted family member the name and info of an auction house, and let them handle the rest.

Agreed

I collected comics as a kid growing up (along with sportscards) and took a significant break then got back into it a couple years ago...started buying a lot of CGC 9.8 moderns (mostly spec) it was a learning curve. Then I started buying what I really wanted- Spidey books, and it takes me awhile to save up but when I get a nice book it makes it all worthwhile 

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

thats slightly less than i paid for my surfer 1 9.4WP in 2019. did heritage jack my bid up to my max just because they can? i think so. am i still glad to have the book even though i apparently overpaid for it? you betcha. btw a 9.4 ow just sold for 8k so i think you may wanna revise your 9.6WP target price a bit!

6 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I've been pondering that recently Gaard, and remembering when I was a kid buying comics with my big brother. They were some of the happiest collecting days that I can recall. Even though the books themselves - old UK reprints - had no real value, the excitement came from sharing the experience. The UK weeklies used to have centrespread posters and we would buy a handful of books each - they were priced at 1p and 2p in dirty great marker pens - and we would look excitedly through them to see who got the best posters on the way home. Hulk, Spidey, Galactus etc got a 'wow, look at that!', lesser characters a groan. It was such fun. 

Now I'm older I can see how collecting has a solitary, almost lonely aspect to it. It's you against the hunt. Your collection, your records. And the thrill you get when 'that book' is found - well, it's one of the greatest feelings there is. But as the years go by, I start to see how meaningless it all is if no one shares those feelings. I suspect a good number of us have had that feeling of elation in respect of our hobbies, and then that tinge of sadness that no one else 'gets it'. There have been times when I have posted new finds here and I am practically falling off of my chair with excitement. And then the slow realisation dawns - once again - that no one shares that excitement - at least not in respect of the specific book you have discovered. And that is when it all starts to become clear. That is when you start to ask yourself, "Why am I doing this? What is the point?"

I go in phases myself, up one minute, down the next. But I wish now that I had allowed myself to share what I do more, rather than keep it insular as I have tended - and still tend, to do. It's not just comics either. You go and see a film. It moves you somehow, you want someone else to understand what it meant to you. I suppose it's what Roy Batty was trying to say before his four years were up. Look at what I've seen, look at what I've done. What was the point? Where is the monument to it, however small? In a few years time, who will give a damn that this fool put together the only run of Charlton pence copies in the whole world?

So my feeling is this. The best you can hope for is to enjoy what you do in the moment. If you can share it with others, and I mean really share, then that is the next level of success, of joy. So carry on, while you enjoy it, can afford it and have the space and energy to do it. But once you stop enjoying it, once the doubts and negative feelings won't go away, have the courage to knock it on the head.

That would be a good last post, to make on a forum wouldn't it? (thumbsu

Steve that was a brilliant posting I really enjoyed reading it and agree fully. As for sharing your collection I've had the same problem that is unless my home needs work done by workmen! There has been a few times were the central heating needed repaired and as my collection is built onto my walls the radiator had to be removed. So the manager comes to my room to look at the radiator that needs replace on Monday morning, then on Tuesday four workmen turn up for one radiator? By Friday I got curious and asked one of them why they needed so many workers and his answer was "We all heard about some guys crazy collection!!!!!!!!!":flamed: