• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2020 at 7:20 AM, blazingbob said:

This is where having a large customer base that you have relationships come in.  To make a better decision I would call one of my contractor business friends and go over his proposal/cost/value estimate.  Compare to the offer and I would then know if the offer was fair or not.  Sometimes you need another opinion to see the things that a property can become versus just what is in front of you.

I bought this building because it had great bones and fantastic potential.  I'm not sure I want to dedicate my life to bringing it out.

15 minutes ago, shadroch said:

I bought this building because it had great bones and fantastic potential.  I'm not sure I want to dedicate my life to bringing it out.

My point was do you know what the building is worth as a 3 apartment/storefront layout.   I don't care if the area isn't zoned for that.  That would be the buyers problem.  But if I knew the overall value I would be able to figure if the offer was fair.  

Comics for me now are ways to remember happy times with my family, getting books at the drug store, hiding the ones I did not have the money for till the next week, bring them home and putting them in the dresser drawer.  And knowing all the stores that had them on the way to the beach.  Still pass those stores,  the Scotchman across from the McDonald's is gone and another mom and pop is closed and there a lot more people at the beach.  It's all about the nostalgia for me.  And I am convinced high grade bronze DC 1977 to 1981 are the hardest comics to find. 

2 minutes ago, spidrvacc said:

One thing i definitely noticed since this thread is alot of people on facebook selling there whole collections. Saw 2 more today on Nj comic book facebook pages people offering up  there collections.  

i would not conclude it is because the thrill is gone.

i would suggest that a major reason is economic concern, given the present status of same.

i am not stating comics don't taste good, but......

2 hours ago, wilbil said:

i would not conclude it is because the thrill is gone.

i would suggest that a major reason is economic concern, given the present status of same.

i am not stating comics don't taste good, but......

Have been major economic issues all year and comics have only gone up to all-time highs.  Just like the stock market.  And artwork generally.  Things constantly breaking all records.  Collectibles don't care.   

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

Have been major economic issues all year and comics have only gone up to all-time highs.  Just like the stock market.  And artwork generally.  Things constantly breaking all records.  Collectibles don't care.   

thanks for the agreement as to economic issues, and maybe that adds to why people are selling. more money means more food or paying the car loan bill, or paying the electric bill, or the cc bill or the rent bill.:makepoint:

i have not found any collectible that tastes good when you are hungry and don't have the money.

are you really that much out of touch with the world around you?

do you really believe it is all about the thrill is gone?lol

1 hour ago, Poekaymon said:

I agree with the major long term economic damage yet to come, cash is always king in tough times, so I think a major factor is economic need or need of cash...this could turn around in 2 years or so...this is a very long term playout....so if you buy, do so wisely with a long term hold strategy.

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

thanks for the agreement as to economic issues, and maybe that adds to why people are selling. more money means more food or paying the car loan bill, or paying the electric bill, or the cc bill or the rent bill.:makepoint:

i have not found any collectible that tastes good when you are hungry and don't have the money.

are you really that much out of touch with the world around you?

do you really believe it is all about the thrill is gone?lol

As I said.  You can drone all you want, but the empirical fact is collectibles and the stock market are at all time highs.  The people who drive the majority of the prices, at least on the stuff I collect, do not have to sell their stuff to pay for food or the electric bill.  In fact, a lot of them profited through the downturn.  But keep spreading that doom and gloom.  Remind me what you do again?  

Edited by Poekaymon

12 minutes ago, Poekaymon said:

As I said.  You can drone all you want, but the empirical fact is collectibles and the stock market are at all time highs.  The people who drive the majority of the prices, at least on the stuff I collect, do not have to sell their stuff to pay for food or the electric bill.  In fact, a lot of them profited through the downturn.  But keep spreading that doom and gloom.  Remind me what you do again?  

ok. if something is said that goes over my head, and then is explained to me, i say, ah, i get it.

forgive me for not recognizing your exalted economic status, and your search for  a huckleberry to prove a point that is not the point presented to begin with.

what i do is absolutely none of your business, and has nothing to do with anything, except a silly attempt at shaming and condescending b.s.

good lord. 

4 hours ago, wilbil said:

ok. if something is said that goes over my head, and then is explained to me, i say, ah, i get it.

forgive me for not recognizing your exalted economic status, and your search for  a huckleberry to prove a point that is not the point presented to begin with.

what i do is absolutely none of your business, and has nothing to do with anything, except a silly attempt at shaming and condescending b.s.

good lord. 

I meant on here.  Hint: it looks like this:

519554333_ScreenShot2017-05-05at10_04_17AM.png.a571aa053204054bc5711ef12c9c3ce4.png

22 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

I think that opinion is limited to your own experience. We are far from out of this economic downturn, let alone this virus....The real effects take time at some point whether higher tax rates or loss of job/income every economic bracket is gonna pay for this recovery. You cannot just print trillions of dollars and have the government not get them back at some point, whether inflation, tax increases...and remember the golden rule on tax increases...it is the people that have the money that are able to pay the tax..this is not doom or gloom Poekaymon but simple economic reality. Government spends...we pay.

9 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I think that opinion is limited to your own experience. We are far from out of this economic downturn, let alone this virus....The real effects take time at some point whether higher tax rates or loss of job/income every economic bracket is gonna pay for this recovery. You cannot just print trillions of dollars and have the government not get them back at some point, whether inflation, tax increases...and remember the golden rule on tax increases...it is the people that have the money that are able to pay the tax..this is not doom or gloom Poekaymon but simple economic reality. Government spends...we pay.

Except my point was based on facts, not opinion.  "The industry is doomed" = opinion.  "The stock market and collectibles markets are at all-time highs."  = verifiable, quantifiable facts.  

Now maybe you think it doesn't matter and that we are on the verge of societal collapse.  That's fine.  I'm just pointing out that so far that most collectibles, stocks, high value artwork, etc. have been unaffected by the current problems.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

3 hours ago, Poekaymon said:

Except my point was based on facts, not opinion.  "The industry is doomed" = opinion.  "The stock market and collectibles markets are at all-time highs."  = verifiable, quantifiable facts.  

Now maybe you think it doesn't matter and that we are on the verge of societal collapse.  That's fine.  I'm just pointing out that so far that most collectibles, stocks, high value artwork, etc. have been unaffected by the current problems.  Nothing more, nothing less. 

That assumption based upon market results could be a few new "whale" collectors especially in the original art market which can be easily changed by the absence of those type of collectors. I agree that market prices have not dropped or the "the sky has fallen" whether it was the stimulus money, or a lack of people to spend on other items such as entertainment. But at some point this "free" money is going to have to be paid back....and those consequences are gonna be felt in every economic market not just collectables. The higher it goes the bigger the fall.

That is why I have recommended that purchases over $1000 to CGC blue label with great paper and staple quality. Quality should be the last to have price adjustments due to outside economic issues. I have to repeat myself but your statement that  Collectables are "unaffected by the current problems" is a contradiction itself...a problem of this size and nature affects everybody and everything at some point.

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

That assumption based upon market results could be a few new "whale" collectors especially in the original art market which can be easily changed by the absence of those type of collectors. I agree that market prices have not dropped or the "the sky has fallen" whether it was the stimulus money, or a lack of people to spend on other items such as entertainment. But at some point this "free" money is going to have to be paid back....and those consequences are gonna be felt in every economic market not just collectables. The higher it goes the bigger the fall.

That is why I have recommended that purchases over $1000 to CGC blue label with great paper and staple quality. Quality should be the last to have price adjustments due to outside economic issues. I have to repeat myself but your statement that  Collectables are "unaffected by the current problems" is a contradiction itself...a problem of this size and nature affects everybody and everything at some point.

Glad you agree. (thumbsu