• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

Eventually there will be a down-turn across the board.

We saw it with AF#15 and eventually it will affect every book.

Sixth Gun, Peter Panzerfaust, Chew, etc etc are all great examples of $500+ books now being , well, NOT $500 books anymore.

The wheat will separate from the chaff, and the books with solid pedigree and history will bounce back (ala AF #15), and the filler / spec / one-shot movie books won't.

I guess it's a decision for all to make individually.

Will Deadpool Last? - if so - under-valued.

Batman that Laughs? - if so - undervalued

X-Men Dark Phoenix - if you think X-Men #101 is a $4000+ book in 9.8, then keep it.

You get my drift.

I have confidence in 1st  Thor, X-Men, Hulk, Spidey, + Batman keys etc to survive a hefty downturn and recover.

Spiderman #101 ($9200 in 9.8 last sale) + X-Men #101 ($4200 last 9.8) - well, I don't want to be holding THOSE babies during a crash.

It's a judgement call, always has been, but nearly $10,000 for Spidey #101 is bonkers.

And unsustainable.

So if you were thinking of culling the herd, now may be a good time.

:foryou:

3 minutes ago, Beige said:

Eventually there will be a down-turn across the board.

We saw it with AF#15 and eventually it will affect every book.

Sixth Gun, Peter Panzerfaust, Chew, etc etc are all great examples of $500+ books now being , well, NOT $500 books anymore.

The wheat will separate from the chaff, and the books with solid pedigree and history will bounce back (ala AF #15), and the filler / spec / one-shot movie books won't.

I guess it's a decision for all to make individually.

Will Deadpool Last? - if so - under-valued.

Batman that Laughs? - if so - undervalued

X-Men Dark Phoenix - if you think X-Men #101 is a $4000+ book in 9.8, then keep it.

You get my drift.

I have confidence in 1st  Thor, X-Men, Hulk, Spidey, + Batman keys etc to survive a hefty downturn and recover.

Spiderman #101 ($9200 in 9.8 last sale) + X-Men #101 ($4200 last 9.8) - well, I don't want to be holding THOSE babies during a crash.

It's a judgement call, always has been, but nearly $10,000 for Spidey #101 is bonkers.

And unsustainable.

So if you were thinking of culling the herd, now may be a good time.

:foryou:

What about ASM 300?

2 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What about ASM 300?

Again, only my opinion but with 23,500 on the census and 1350 of them being 9.8, then it's not a hard book to find.

They threw Tom Hardy at Venom, and the movie bombed, so I guess this is one comic that is actually driven by Venom itself, not "Venom - The Movie".

So, yes, I think this is a book that will always have a market - where you set the 9.8 price is an individual call.

Personally - I think $4000 - $5000 is too much.

There are a ton of unslabbed ASM #300's out there (plus 10 x 9.9 already).

I'd be comfortable at the price it was 4-5 years ago.

Your mileage may vary!  :foryou:

1 minute ago, Beige said:

Again, only my opinion but with 23,500 on the census and 1350 of them being 9.8, then it's not a hard book to find.

They threw Tom Hardy at Venom, and the movie bombed, so I guess this is one comic that is actually driven by Venom itself, not "Venom - The Movie".

So, yes, I think this is a book that will always have a market - where you set the 9.8 price is an individual call.

Personally - I think $4000 - $5000 is too much.

There are a ton of unslabbed ASM #300's out there (plus 10 x 9.9 already).

I'd be comfortable at the price it was 4-5 years ago.

Your mileage may vary!  :foryou:

ASM 300 is a 4K+ book in 9.8 now?:whatthe:

42 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

$3600 with 26 minutes left

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Damazing%2B300%26GO%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1445855&id=1445855&itemType=0

:news:

It ended at $4300

Edited by Hollywood1892

55 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I know, right?

:screwy:

22 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

That book has OW/W pages.  Normally I would hesitate to comment, but I can't imagine why this particular copy would be bid up like this when WP copies are practically growing on trees.

I didn't even realize that! What a relief that it went for $4300, which is low at the moment for that book

28 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

That’s a lot of money for such a common book.  I’d feel more comfortable paying 10k for the ASM 101 :insane:

If I had either - I'd sell them both.

$15,000 for ASM #300 + ASM #101 in 9.8?

2 Years ago, you'd be under the care of Nurse Ratched for thinking about such prices.

There are so many other books I'd buy instead, and feel comfortable that I wouldn't lose my shirt if things went south.

You can still get a Hulk #1 in 4.0 - 4.5 for the same money.....

:tink:

This might sound a little weird, but one of the fondest memories I have revolving around collecting as a kid was showing off old SA Spideys to my dad. He had absolutely no interest in comics, and probably thought his oldest son was some kind of weirdo, but he never discouraged me from collecting comics, and whenever I showed him some books he would show interest (probably faking it) - but I felt like King Poop for a while.

37 minutes ago, Gaard said:

This might sound a little weird, but one of the fondest memories I have revolving around collecting as a kid was showing off old SA Spideys to my dad. He had absolutely no interest in comics, and probably thought his oldest son was some kind of weirdo, but he never discouraged me from collecting comics, and whenever I showed him some books he would show interest (probably faking it) - but I felt like King Poop for a while.

My wife is having a bath, I'm going to feel like King poop right now...bwahaha

In all seriousness tho, it is a special feeling of pride in a fathers interest in his sons endeavors...feigned or not

3 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It was just a hypothetical choice between a 9.8 ASM 101 & a 9.8 300

You would choose a small character (not in terms of size but rather popularity and appearances) over someone like Venom?

What do you base it on? Age of the book?

Both are valuable but not so much in terms of the character imo but rather in terms of which run they are appearing in. Yes Morbius is getting a movie but let's take IM 55 for instance, that book is half the value of ASM 101 in the same grade, but Thanos is a far larger character in terms of success then a wannabe Dracula.

The ASM 300 is a paradox

Venom is supremely popular and the book is always in demand but readily available, so in my opinion it does not meet the criteria in terms of value by the supply and demand method but rather the "how much will someone pay for it?" Method in terms of a items true value

Someone paid 15k for a 9.8 with 5 sigs and a remark, and 2 of those sigs were by lesser known artists and writers