• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, KPR Comics said:

Speaking from experience, I can say that getting rid of your collection/inventory is extremely liberating.  It was always about the hunt and capture.  Storage, which essentially is what most collections become, wasn’t very satisfying.  

Many, many collectors feel as you do. 

2 hours ago, Moondog said:

Many, many collectors feel as you do. 

That should probably scare a lot of people. I know it gives me cause for concern, even though my budget is comparatively modest. As the core group of those of us in our 40's and up (much older in many cases) loses interest and cashes out, there's bound to be a glut of material. I do believe there will always be buyers for the very best stuff, and perhaps at even higher prices than current levels, but when I look at kid after kid after kid who collects nothing, I can't see enough people filling the void to maintain anything near current price trajectories.

Paradoxically, I think the covid phenomenon has helped the comic market stay surprisingly robust, even though that same anomalous force may prove a great makeweight in softening the overall economy tremendously, thereby leading to a vast market correction. Time will tell.  (shrug)

Edited by PopKulture

8 hours ago, PopKulture said:

That should probably scare a lot of people. I know it gives me cause for concern, even though my budget is comparatively modest. As the core group of those of us in our 40's and up (much older in many cases) loses interest and cashes out, there's bound to be a glut of material. I do believe there will always be buyers for the very best stuff, and perhaps at even higher prices than current levels, but when I look at kid after kid after kid who collects nothing, I can't see enough people filling the void to maintain anything near current price trajectories.

Paradoxically, I think the covid phenomenon has helped the comic market stay surprisingly robust, even though that same anomalous force may prove a great makeweight in softening the overall economy tremendously, thereby leading to a vast market correction. Time will tell.  (shrug)

There are a LOT of kids collecting Funko Pops.  That might disturb a lot of comic collecting adults but...

RaggedFrequentKusimanse-size_restricted.gif

Edited by Buzzetta

10 hours ago, PopKulture said:

This is usually where someone jumps in and says “people have been predicting a market crash/correction for 15 years & prices keep going up.”

21 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

What do you think a NM copy of Hulk 181 would be worth?

I couldn't surmise a guess, but I would say definitely not 42k...but that's definitely not such a bad thing for buyers or sellers. I honestly think encapsulation has provided a bit more accountability to the market, but then again so has social media, which has allowed communication to flourish

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I couldn't surmise a guess, but I would say definitely not 42k...but that's definitely not such a bad thing for buyers or sellers. I honestly think encapsulation has provided a bit more accountability to the market, but then again so has social media, which has allowed communication to flourish

Where do you think the slabbed market would be without movie/tv show hype?

Just now, THE_BEYONDER said:

Where do you think the slabbed market would be without movie/tv show hype?

That's a good question

Movies have definitely given more exposure to the comic book market and driven up speculation, but for mainstays like Spidey, Superman, Batman ect I don't think it's done anything.

Collectors for investment want to know the exact condition of a book, at least from a professional perspective. I mean I have books that are decent keys where the character has never appeared in a movie

On 11/28/2020 at 4:08 PM, NoMan said:

I dunno. I've got a major key entombed in plastic sitting in a Safe Deposit Box and sometimes I wonder what the point is. I have no children. My nieces and nephews are spoiled sh*ts who wouldn't care one way or the other and if they got a hold of it they would just cash out and add a bag of money to their already silver-spoon spoiled ungrateful lives. Right now in my will it's left to a 22 year old friend of the wife's who doesn't like me and I don't like him. And no he doesn't give a sh*t about comics.

I find it sad that you do not have anyone in your life that you feel good about leaving the book to.

If your neices and nephews are spoiled and have no interest in comics, then I agree you should not leave it to them.

I am not sure why you would leave it to your wife's friend (who you don't like). (shrug)

I would think your first choice would be to leave it to your wife (with instructions on how to best liquidate it).

If you outlive your wife, I would think there has to be some charity, organization, or person who you would feel good about leaving an expensive book.  IDK.

I guess in the end it really doesn't matter, because when the Master calls us home, our attachment to the things of this world will quickly disappear.

57 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Avengers-Age-Ultron-2015-the-avengers-ag

My point is that something new will have to happen to once again boost up the market.  CGC brought new life to the existing raw comic market.  When the slabbed market started to stagnate, along comes the movie hype machine. 

What could possibly come next that would not only sustain current prices, but increase them?(shrug)

7 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

My point is that something new will have to happen to once again boost up the market.  CGC brought new life to the existing raw comic market.  When the slabbed market started to stagnate, along comes the movie hype machine. 

What could possibly come next that would not only sustain current prices, but increase them?(shrug)

I've thought about it, and not much of a conclusion but

if the 90's "variants" didn't catch on, but now modern variants "do", it also may be due to the slabs; and that could meant the next phase may be cool cover limited books.

If it did happen, I'm sure publishers would say that they planned it all along lol haha

But to further your cause, the older stuff is in limited enough numbers with some cool art and covers, that the hype train may grow reindeer and deliver presents for years to come :wishluck: 

THAT is the only possible suggestion that I can fathom why a think tank of independents, or even DC and Marvel reverted back to what "caused the hiccup in the first place"

And all that is pure speculation lol but seems to be imo the hope of those producing.......

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

25 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

That is a good point, matter of fact it's a brilliant one....and grading standards whether or not the become harsher, or if they change policies regarding bindery defects ect would only negatively impact the market...age will always help...movies will help smaller characters i.e Vision, Thanos, stuff like that

But what about Batman Who Laughs?(a dc character who has never appeared in a movie) a 9.8 of his first appearance sells for $500.

Knull (a marvel character) first appearance sells for about $300 (no movie appearance or spec)

Ultimate Fallout 4 exploded after Miles Morales was announced for a new video game

Savage She Hulk got her own show, but the current climate might have helped it too.

But none of these spec books have gone up like mainstays, mostly in spidey runs- ASM 14,50 ect

FF 48, 49- no way the movies helped those characters

I guess variants help moderns 

It's really hard to say, I can't even surmise a guess

What do you think though?

Edited by Hollywood1892