• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The thrill is gone.
7 7

393 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

That is a good point, matter of fact it's a brilliant one....and grading standards whether or not the become harsher, or if they change policies regarding bindery defects ect would only negatively impact the market...age will always help...movies will help smaller characters i.e Vision, Thanos, stuff like that

But what about Batman Who Laughs?(a dc character who has never appeared in a movie) a 9.8 of his first appearance sells for $500.

Knull (a marvel character) first appearance sells for about $300 (no movie appearance or spec)

I guess variants help moderns 

It's really hard to say, I can't even surmise a guess

What do you think though?

I think that books like you mentioned above are simply propped up by the rest of the market.  Movie hype turns collectors bin fodder into gold, and that money gets spent with  careless abandon on other books.  

6 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think that books like you mentioned above are simply propped up by the rest of the market.  Movie hype turns collectors bin fodder into gold, and that money gets spent with  careless abandon on other books.  

Getting back to this thread, how will it be when the "movies" are as boring to people as the books now are to some collectors....

Or is that your point? :x 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

9 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I think my greatest worry is the bin fodder affects the keys...but I doubt it...would you say NM 98 was bin fodder pre movie? Certainly BA 12 was

(I only started collecting again a couple years ago)

Edited by Hollywood1892

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Follow the bouncing ball champ

well if comics went well from 1939 or before unitl major upset in the 9th inning in the 90's

the ask your self if movies started to be "good" in 2000, if it'll keep up till 2060?

Trying to be somewhat based on facts :wishluck: 

I'm sure there have been and will continue to be people ask the pertinent questions. 

I hope haha

socratic method or not :shy: 

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

well if comics went well from 1939 or before unitl major upset in the 9th inning in the 90's

the ask your self if movies started to be "good" in 2000, if it'll keep up till 2060?

I'm sure there have been and will continue to be people ask the pertinent questions. 

I hope haha

What Beyonder says is true, something else will impact the market to stave off stagnation....we only have to guess what it might be 

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

What Beyonder says is true, something else will impact the market to stave off stagnation....we only have to guess what it might be 

It's an interesting thought. I'm not in a position to make the millions lol

But Lord willing something will!

On 12/3/2020 at 9:37 AM, spracknetch23 said:

This is shaping up to be the first year since 2012 (when I re-entered the hobby) that I haven't spent a single cent on comics, OA or collectibles. I did buy a house and our first child is on the way. That stuff is more exciting to me now, and my collection sits in boxes in the closet. I still love it, but it doesn't consume hours of my thoughts each day like it used to. I also don't stay up late at night trying to find deals on ebay like I used to. It's freeing in a way, to switch priorities. Another reason I feel this way is that I've found 90% of the stuff I've wanted, and the other 10% has become so out of reach price-wise that I've lost interest in obtaining it. I have four long boxes and a short box, which is hardly a lot, but I'd still like to downsize a bit. 

First, from one Turtles guy to another, congrats!

When I was expecting my first I took a break from buying and started selling off chunks of my collection, mostly due to a crippling paranoia that children would lead to instant poverty. While that ended up being somewhat true, my collecting sickness eventually returned, probably from staring at these forums and ebay at 2am on my phone whilst waiting for a newborn to fall back asleep*. One thing that did change is that I found having a stricter comics budget let me focus my buying much more and, I think, made my collection stronger overall. 

*4 years later and I'm still waiting for him to sleep. No, seriously, get your naps in now. Like, right now. Go! 

4 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Comics didn't go well from 1939 to the 1990s. 

They imploded in the mid 1950s after only being around for a little over a dozen years.  Few artists and writers could make a living off comics, and even fewer companies stayed afloat. 

Fast forward to the mid-1970s when a rag paper shortage and inflation nearly doomed the industry.  If it wasn't for comics reinventing the way they were distributed, they most likely would have failed as an industry.  The 80s Indy movement brought some great comics, but just about every publisher failed.  Pacific, Eclipse, First, Eagle, I could go on, but they all failed. Heck, DC was in talks to license a few heroes to Marvel but that fell apart.

Thank you at least someone responded! I did say "if" in my post, so it looks like the current aspects do look better for the next 60 years too or until the next innovation either encourages or doesn't  :)

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I hope haha

People get so hung up on the 90s variants which seems to be the reason they look down their nose today

Is why I specified that period as the climax

I'm not saying it was better before, rather that the 90s people translate as occurring in today's market as welll

29 minutes ago, shadroch said:

Comics didn't go well from 1939 to the 1990s. 

They imploded in the mid 1950s after only being around for a little over a dozen years.  Few artists and writers could make a living off comics, and even fewer companies stayed afloat. 

Fast forward to the mid-1970s when a rag paper shortage and inflation nearly doomed the industry.  If it wasn't for comics reinventing the way they were distributed, they most likely would have failed as an industry.  The 80s Indy movement brought some great comics, but just about every publisher failed.  Pacific, Eclipse, First, Eagle, I could go on, but they all failed. Heck, DC was in talks to license a few heroes to Marvel but that fell apart.

Sounds like you got told @ADAMANTIUM

i bounce back and forth over the years between Comic books, Coins and sports cards , usually one will last a decade or so then i go back to another 

while Comics have definitely have proven to be the most lucrative of the three , they are the least liquid and take up a ton of room....

i spent a couple months solid selling on eBay when i was forced to stay at home because of covid , i did great but it is a major pain selling comics and it was almost like a full time job , i was burned out after a couple months , and now with eBay 's managed payment system it is going to be even worse when i get up the motivation and the energy to start selling again