• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master of Kung Fu appreciation thread
1 1

202 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2021 at 2:25 PM, jimjum12 said:

This was Jon's copy and won't likely be for sale. There are about a dozen MOKF issues that I would LOVE to have in CGC 9.8, but prices have already scooted them out of my comfort zone. I suppose raw will have to do. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

wzDWJIE.jpg

This is what Shang Chi looks like, not some round faced fat bloke.

On 8/1/2021 at 4:25 PM, batmiesta said:

This is what Shang Chi looks like, not some round faced fat bloke.

I always thought that Master of Kung Fu was created with Bruce in mind ... and I would imagine the Kung Fu craze hit NYC (... and Marvel) a little earlier than everywhere else, but I was a teen in the early 70's and Carradine's show, Bruce Lee, the Billy Jack stuff.... everybody I knew was signing up for Karate. :cloud9: You could catch a decent DoJo for 10 bucks a month. GOD BLESS....

Edited by jimjum12

On 7/31/2021 at 7:25 AM, jimjum12 said:

This was Jon's copy and won't likely be for sale. There are about a dozen MOKF issues that I would LOVE to have in CGC 9.8, but prices have already scooted them out of my comfort zone. I suppose raw will have to do. GOD BLESS...

wzDWJIE.jpg

Is this 'THE' cover for the MOKF run?
I love it, along with #51 and #67 for Gulacy.  #71 and #101 are Zeck faves.

And was this the only book where the main character is drawn as sweating while kicking butt?! xD
Shang was workin' hard!

On 8/2/2021 at 9:52 AM, HighVoltage said:

Is this 'THE' cover for the MOKF run?
I love it, along with #51 and #67 for Gulacy.  #71 and #101 are Zeck faves.

And was this the only book where the main character is drawn as sweating while kicking butt?! xD
Shang was workin' hard!

I'm working on the short list .... luckily I can settle for raw, as some of the best covers are either too pricey in CGC or not available at all. I am also going to include some Gene Day eventually. My favorite issue of the martial arts titles is still Marvel Premiere 15 with Gil Kane handling a rare book length story during his Cover Reign... even if it was a blatant assimilation of all that was cool about Carradine's Kung Fu series on prime time TV. GOD BLESS....

... I can't count the times I've been box diving MOKF at an LCS .... uniformly high grade, YES !, only to hit beaters where all the classics are. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:18 AM, jimjum12 said:

I'm working on the short list .... luckily I can settle for raw, as some of the best covers are either too pricey in CGC or not available at all. I am also going to include some Gene Day eventually. My favorite issue of the martial arts titles is still Marvel Premiere 15 with Gil Kane handling a rare book length story during his Cover Reign... even if it was a blatant assimilation of all that was cool about Carradine's Kung Fu series on prime time TV. GOD BLESS....

... I can't count the times I've been box diving MOKF at an LCS .... uniformly high grade, YES !, only to hit beaters where all the classics are. 

Oh - you are so right on those MOKF classic covers!
I found a #51 several months ago that was in the 8.0 range and I just grabbed it because I hadn't seen one that decent just sitting in a box in quite awhile.
I only have a few MOKF slabs, but I am very ok with raw on these! If I were looking to just have a couple of MOKF slabs, it would probably be #64 and #101.

And Gene Day had some really cool ones as well! (103/105/111/116/118)

Side note: I think Mike Mignola did inking right at the end of the MOKF run. I'd love to see him knock out a Shang Chi piece these days.

On 8/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, HighVoltage said:

Side note: I think Mike Mignola did inking right at the end of the MOKF run. I'd love to see him knock out a Shang Chi piece these days.

:cloud9:

...perhaps if the movie adds enough heat to the franchise ? ... Mignola is a hot property now. It would take a special artist to really pull off a marquee treatment of the character, an artisan with a talent for the "ballet of motion". Gil Kane was an example, but he's at the Big Drawing Board In The Sky.... as is Gulacy ? Neal Adams could do a good rendition... GOD BLESS...

On 8/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, jimjum12 said:

:cloud9:

...perhaps if the movie adds enough heat to the franchise ? ... Mignola is a hot property now. It would take a special artist to really pull off a marquee treatment of the character, an artisan with a talent for the "ballet of motion". Gil Kane was an example, but he's at the Big Drawing Board In The Sky.... as is Gulacy ? Neal Adams could do a good rendition... GOD BLESS...

Paul Gulacy is still alive and kicking.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:17 PM, TroyT7986 said:

Just received my #15 in the mail today. Will be submitting soon as I get all my other books I am waiting on for the past several months

MOKF.jpg

MOKF1.jpg

MOKF2.jpg

MOKF3.jpg

I did not realize Englehart colored this!

And good old Tom Orzechowski as letterer. He lettered some great stuff on the X-Men!