• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Master of Kung Fu appreciation thread
1 1

202 posts in this topic

Bottom corner bend front and back cover both.  Light wear along the top edge front cover.  Light indentation, upper right front corner.  Tiny wear, upper left corner front cover/upper right corner back cover.  Overhang bend to right edge of front cover (don't know if there are any paper breaks that come with it).

It looks to be a beautiful copy, but from the photos unlikely to be a 9.8.

Edited by namisgr

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

Bottom corner bend front and back cover both.  Light wear along the top edge front cover.  Light indentation, upper right front corner.  Tiny wear, upper left corner front cover/upper right corner back cover.  Overhang bend to right edge of front cover (don't know if there are any paper breaks that come with it).

It looks to be a beautiful copy, but from the photos unlikely to be a 9.8.

Even with a press involved?  

3 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

No hopes for 9.8 with these.  Probably the only collector in the US with back-to-back wraps/cuts like this. 

SME - 15.jpg

SME - 16.jpg

For #15, why not?  I've seen plenty wraps out there like that one get a CGC 9.8 grade.

9 hours ago, namisgr said:

Because of the defects and wear.

Well, besides the defects and wear, I believe he's referring that even if perfect, the miswrap along would take the book out of 9.8 contention.  (shrug)

I am not so sure about this since this book here was notorious for terrible wraps and I believe CGC supposedly does not downgrade for publishing problems such as this, but not sure if this would apply for condition grades of 9.8 or not?  ???

This is the single one and only book that I ended up buying so many multiple copies of (i.e. 4 or 5 copies) back in the day, because no matter how many copies I flipped through because they were ALWAYS readily available, they were never ever quite perfect from a wrap POV and I was seemingly never ever satisfied with the copies that I had.:frustrated: :censored:

Although I loved the Gulacy run and the only reason why I picked up the SME 15 first appearance issue, I stopped this bad habit of mines once the book hit the $3 price range because that was just getting far too expensive for my taste. :bigsmile:  doh!

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, batmiesta said:

Do you think so? I must be getting harder to please in my old age because I thought it looked turd, and Shang Chi looked too chubby, just my opinion though. I wish they had gone with someone more Bruce Lee looking.

I'm obviously a huge MOKF fan, and love all the Marvel stuff... but this trailer... looks like a dud. 

2 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Do you think so? I must be getting harder to please in my old age because I thought it looked turd, and Shang Chi looked too chubby, just my opinion though. I wish they had gone with someone more Bruce Lee looking.

Don't know much about the main actor but Tony Leung the villain in the film is a superb actor.  

1 hour ago, Wolverinex said:

Don't know much about the main actor but Tony Leung the villain in the film is a superb actor.  

Is he though? I know he's in a ton of things, but I've never felt he stood out in any of them. 

4 hours ago, batmiesta said:

Tough crowd. I think they did a nice job of modernizing the Mandarin. Good Cast.

8 minutes ago, piper said:

Tough crowd. I think they did a nice job of modernizing the Mandarin. Good Cast.

I admit that I am tough to please when it comes to Marvel movies and TV series, if they look nothing like the comic character that I am used with I don't want to know, as soon as I saw the bloke who was playing Iron Fist on Netflix I couldn't bring myself to watch it, feel the same way with Shang Chi, that's just the way I am though. O.o

14 minutes ago, SuperBird said:

haven't actually seen those. :) Guess I got some watching to do. 

Martin Scorsese loved Infernal Affairs so much that he essentially copied  it and made The  Departed.  Leonardo Dicaprio played Tony Leung's character.

Tony won Best Actor for In the mood for Love at the Cannes Film festival.   Please note: both In the Mood for Love and Chungking Express are very artsy films... beautiful cinematography and mood.  It may not be for everyone but really appeal to movie buffs.

I would start with Infernal Affairs.  Action driven, gripping....  There are crime movies he starred in if you end up liking it.  Hard Boiled, City of Sadness.   

Tony  Leung has a ton of range, he has starred in action, romance, comedy, art pieces... very well rounded.  It's about time he got some recognition in the US.  

Edited by Wolverinex