• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Started watching last night and am planning to watch it across 3-4 sittings.  The first hour was glorious.  I only saw the original once and don't remember a ton about it, but so far I haven't recognized much in it.  Certainly all of the trademark Zack Snyder slow motion sequences must be new.  Looking forward to looking at more comprehensive breakdowns as to what's different.

Did Snyder always plan to include Darkseid?  If so, why did Whedon remove him?

1 minute ago, fantastic_four said:

Started watching last night and am planning to watch it across 3-4 sittings.  The first hour was glorious.  I only saw the original once and don't remember a ton about it, but so far I haven't recognized much in it.  Certainly all of the trademark Zack Snyder slow motion sequences must be new.  Looking forward to looking at more comprehensive breakdowns as to what's different.

Did Snyder always plan to include Darkseid?  If so, why did Whedon remove him?

Yes. There were test screenings right before Snyder left and participants confirmed Darkseid was included.

Why the changes occurred all comes down to fitting a massive team film in a two-hour mandated run time. Crazy!

On 3/18/2021 at 9:43 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

No, I think automobile drivers in this universe are overly multi-tasking and not paying attention. Truck drivers have a duty to not worry about their lost breakfast biscuit and keep both hands on the wheel and eyes up. While Iris is making goo goo eyes at Barry, I'm like "Yo Iris, watch where you're driving!" I'm not sure who was at fault in the Stone's car accident, but somebody ran the hell out of  that stop light. Safety first, people. Arrive alive.

Shrugs that off.  If you think that is multitasking, come to New York, where the cops are on their cell phones and give angry looks at you if you notice, continually staring as they take off through a red light knowing you won't follow. 

I have seen application of makeup while driving. 

I have also personally witnessed a body go through a car as they were struck because the driver changed the radio station.  Nothing like a dying body in the back seat of the car. 

So yeah, you are right.  But... people do it anyway. 

Things happen in the movies that reflect real life. 

On 3/18/2021 at 9:57 AM, Bosco685 said:

I think this 'perfect movie' standards need to go out the window though. None of these films are a perfect movie. None!

Heck, my all-time favorite MCU film (Captain America: The Winter Soldier) even has issues. Like when Winter Soldier appears on the car roof in the middle of the Washington D.C. Beltway, and nobody noticed this beforehand and started honking their horns and blinking their lights to warn the people in the car?!

There were a few soundtracks in the Snyder Cut I would have chosen another tune. But nothing to the point it took me out of the story. Which is great.

lol Now a days people do not warn others of something like that, we take out our cell phones and film it so we can be internet famous. 

What do people think about the possibility of an actual continuation to this?

The snydercut itself was obviously a long shot and eventually came to be, so impossible to rule things out. Could a follow up be even more of a long shot...?

Personally I'd be happy to see even just a comic series continuing the story. But we all know money talks and so far they seem to be doing quite well out of this release.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:48 PM, Oddball said:

Now my gripes.
Finally the big one for me. The Epilogue was unnecessary. To be clear, about the second half of the Epilogue. Snyder knew this would be his last run with these characters so why tease a continuation that won’t happen. He should have filmed a new closing better suited for a stand alone epic. In my future viewings, I’m hitting the stop button right after Clark turns into the alley and tears his shirt revealing the black S. That’s the perfect ending for Zack Snyder’s Justice League. As much as I loved seeing Leto it was just unnecessary. I’m looking forward to seeing this again but will wait until the 4K Blu-ray. I can’t stream this in 4K off HBO at the moment. I’m also looking forward to the black and white version. 

It would not surprise me if DC gave Snyder a green light to explore everything he mentioned in the GQ interview in some other form. 

29 minutes ago, RickSp said:

What do people think about the possibility of an actual continuation to this?

The snydercut itself was obviously a long shot and eventually came to be, so impossible to rule things out. Could a follow up be even more of a long shot...?

Personally I'd be happy to see even just a comic series continuing the story. But we all know money talks and so far they seem to be doing quite well out of this release.

I wasn't going to say anything yet until I saw more sources referencing this. But so far, this is the rumor based on Netflix really going all-in with an Army of the Dead franchise and now WarnerMedia seeing their HBO Max servers exploding due to over-capacity.

Netflix and HBO Max Ready to Make A Deal with Zack Snyder

HBO Max and Netflix reportedly have eyes on popular director Zack Snyder for him to create exclusive content for each streaming platform.

Zack Snyder has been under the spotlight for some time now. His cut of Justice League finally released after making fans wait for a long time, and it did great. Actually, it outperformed Warner Bros’ executives’ expectations. This success reportedly leads them to consider the sequel for Zack Snyder’s Justice League to be released for the theatres. You can read our related article below. But Warner Bros was not the only party interested in Snyder’s potential, it seems.

HBO Max and Netflix have eyes on Zack Snyder
As per a report by Small Screen, Netflix and HBO Max are ready to make a deal with Zack Snyder. The streaming platforms want the popular director to create exclusive content for them. This is not official and we do not know what Snyder would choose, but the idea of more Snyder content is to the excitement of many cinephiles. Anyway, here’s what the sources of Small Screen say about those two streaming platforms that want to agree with Snyder on an exclusive deal.

And here’s what the source from Netflix had to say about this potential deal:

“Netflix wants Snyder to make films just for them. They’re trying to get him to sign a similar deal to the one Fincher signed. This would mean that his next projects would come out only on Netflix and be Netflix exclusives. No word on whether he’s accepted or declined yet.”

Here’s what the source from HBO Max:

“I’m hearing that HBO Max is desperately trying to get Snyder to sign an exclusivity deal with them. This would be the first for the company, but they are so happy with Justice League – reaction and the movie itself – that they want him to do more and work solely for them. No one else.”

It would make sense since both are trying to keep the streaming pipes full.

36 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

lol Now a days people do not warn others of something like that, we take out our cell phones and film it so we can be internet famous. 

:roflmao:

Well, it worked in Kick-Azz.

Where is all the money HBO is getting for the Snyder cut coming from--mostly new HBO subscriptions?

Also, will this disappear from HBO Max like all of the other theatre releases disappear after a month?

4 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Where is all the money HBO is getting for the Snyder cut coming from--mostly new HBO subscriptions?

Also, will this disappear from HBO Max like all of the other theatre releases disappear after a month?

HBO Max subscriptions, bluray/DVD/digital release, merchandising (shirts, cups, posters, action figures) and yes...

Just now, fantastic_four said:

Will this get released in theatres at all?

There is supposed to be an IMAX release as a minimum.

I'm generally a fan of Zack.  I absolutely revere 300, and I really love Man of Steel.  I didn't much like BvS, and Whedon's Justice League was meh, but I recall enjoying it more than BvS.  I've really loved the first hour of Snyder's Justice League, but that may be just my general love of Snyder's visual style coupled with none of the cringe-worthy moments BvS had in abundance.

I never re-watched BvS to see if it was better than I remembered, and I never saw the ultimate edition.  Probably should watch that over the next few weeks.

Edited by fantastic_four

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

:roflmao:

Well, it worked in Kick-Azz.

lol Ever see this?  Pay attention at 1:18 - It's the best comment on our society.

Narrator: "The viral video was taken by Daniel Mida on his cell phone."

Daniel Mida: "I didn't know what to do or what to expect, I was so surprised."

I want to point out that Daniel eventually figured out what to do, and that was to film on his cell phone!

It didn't matter the driver and the man on the hood were in a prior relationship.  She wanted to leave, he didn't want her to drive off.  He got on the hood of the car and she went for a 19 mile drive.  Both the driver and the guy clinging for his life called the police. 

This has 'funny' in it all around.  

911 Dispatch: where are you sir?

Guy on the hood: I have no idea I'm not driving on top of the car. 

11 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

7 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

Will this get released in theatres at all?

5 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

HBO Max subscriptions, bluray/DVD/digital release, merchandising (shirts, cups, posters, action figures) and yes...

There is supposed to be an IMAX release as a minimum.

I think this was an easy call to make by HBO as it delivers instant content that drew people to the platform.   

The reports were that WB spent $70 million on this.   Obviously given the attention, it was $70 million well spent to deliver a tentpole film and draw attention to what HBO Max can offer.   These streaming platforms are in desperate need of content.  I see that now since you all mentioned it on the Disney+ thread.   $70 million for who knows how many 4hr streams is cheap compared to what other platforms are spending. 

Weta Digital’s Anders Langlands (Visual Effects Supervisor) and Simeon Duncombe (Animation Supervisor) break down the Darkseid battle in the Snyder Cut, explain how this Darkseid fight against the Atlanteans, humans, Amazons, Greek Gods (including Ares played by David Thelwis), and a Green Lantern is different from the Whedon Cut, and show the different visual effects and motion capture they used to make it happen.

There’s great focus on how the Snyder Cut’s R-Rating (for violence and language) allowed them to do even more in the quick battle of Darkseid vs. Green Lantern, including Darkseid almost taking the Green Lantern ring for his own. This VFX breakdown video will show some behind-the-scenes visuals at how Darkseid was pushed back by the defenders of Earth, as opposed to the Whedon version of Justice League from 2017.

54 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

I'm generally a fan of Zack.  I absolutely revere 300, and I really love Man of Steel.  I didn't much like BvS, and Whedon's Justice League was meh, but I recall enjoying it more than BvS.  I've really loved the first hour of Snyder's Justice League, but that may be just my general love of Snyder's visual style coupled with none of the cringe-worthy moments BvS had in abundance.

I never re-watched BvS to see if it was better than I remembered, and I never saw the ultimate edition.  Probably should watch that over the next few weeks.

BvS Ultimate Edition makes that movie make SO MUCH more sense, much as this cut of JL did.  I think Affleck is the best Batman ever by far and I liked the original version...Ultimate was amazing.  It's the DC version of Captain America: Civil War.

I watch JL over Friday night and Saturday morning and enjoyed it immensely.  Worth the time investment!