• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Zack Snyder's JUSTICE LEAGUE on HBO Max (3/18/21)
4 4

2,339 posts in this topic

Why ‘Zack Snyder’s Justice League’ Is Key to HBO Max’s Path to 150 Million Subscribers

On one hand, “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” is revolutionary. The filmmaker has said the film represents his unadulterated vision — all four hours and six chapters of it — beamed directly into the homes of eager fans via a robust streaming platform, the only distribution method that could economically support the $70 million undertaking.

Theatrical? Out of the question.

“It has no business existing — a four-hour version of ‘Justice League,’ are you kidding?” Snyder said in an interview with IndieWire. WarnerMedia “didn’t have any notes, not really. The notes they had I didn’t do.”

Realization of vision and profit have long been opposing forces in battles between filmmakers and studios, from Ridley Scott’s 25-year effort to make a definitive “Blade Runner” to the same time it took after Sergio Leone’s death to piece together a full “Once Upon a Time in America.” For “Justice League,” it was just three years after the birth of the hashtag movement #ReleasetheSnyderCut that the stars aligned, when studio and director found themselves in the rare position of being on the same side.

WarnerMedia’s blank check to Snyder may be revolutionary, but the corporate logic behind it is anything but. In fact, it represents an execution of a formula for streaming success already perfected by Disney+: giving people exactly what they want — new riffs on old IP. “They love setting up sequels,” said Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter. “Just like how Disney+ is doing 10 ‘Star Wars’ shows.”

Early results show that HBO Max’s disruptive moves could be making a difference. There were some 41.5 million HBO and HBO Max subscribers by the end of 2020, which accounts for those who signed up in response to the first day-and-date release, “Wonder Woman 1984.” The service plans to launch in June a cheaper, ad-supported tier for the first time, while it will be expanding to 60 markets outside the US this year.

All of that could help HBO Max inch closer and closer to 150 or 200 million subscribers, the common numbers-to-beat cited in the streaming world that set leading services apart from the pack, Chalozin said. (Netflix crossed the 200 million mark for the first time in January.)

“That’s the inflection point,” Chalozin said. “This is why [services] need to pay the big bucks ahead of time to build that up very fast.”

Indeed, at AT&T’s investors day Friday — one week before the Snyder cut release — the company said it now has higher expectations for HBO Max. When the service was introduced in October 2019, it estimated it would have between 75-90 million subscribers by 2025. Now, the company is aiming for as many as 150 million by that time.

32 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

I think that, maybe Sunday, I'll engage in my 3rd watch of this and take full notes of my criticisms. Why? I like much, much, much more than I dislike. I'll share them, and then we can engage in ideas that we agree or disagree on. Hey, maybe you'll change my mind on something!

Seriously, though, that Flash scene might be better than anything from the MCU. Thor entering Wakanda is a contender, though.

Did you get a new tv?

On 3/18/2021 at 5:15 AM, Oddball said:

WW’s opening scene in JL Part 1 was spectacular. So far it is the best WW scene I’ve experienced. The bank scene is now a serious act instead of the one we saw before. What a difference some small specific changes can make in tone and the overall scene. I can now say Gadot is simply perfect as WW.

When watching this new cut I was like - I don’t remember it like this - this is fantastic 

this was my second cheer I made during this film - in the first 15 minutes he completely changed the tone and feel for the film 

whedon is a hack 

So I watched throughout the day today as I had some errands to run.

it was everything I expected and more

the first 15 minutes changed the entire tone of the film 

Two different movies entirely and I hope that we at least get 30 minutes of Nightmare League vs Superman 

20 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

When watching this new cut I was like - I don’t remember it like this - this is fantastic 

this was my second cheer I made during this film - in the first 15 minutes he completely changed the tone and feel for the film 

whedon is a hack 

Agreed. The Whedon version can get tossed in the garbage bin at this point. 

Zack Snyder is planning a multi-day SnyderVerse movie marathon later in 2021, where showings of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice will culminate in a theatrical IMAX screening of Zack Snyder's Justice League. The four-hour and R-rated Snyder Cut is now streaming on HBO Max in the 4:3 format tailor-suited for IMAX screens — a presentation the streamer offers to "preserve the integrity of Zack Snyder's creative vision." At Justice Con 2020, Snyder said his intent was "to have the movie, the entire film, play in a gigantic 4:3 aspect ratio on a giant IMAX screen." Snyder hopes to realize that vision in the fall.

"The hope is that we do the three movies in IMAX. And I don't know if it's three days or one day, we might have to binge it," Snyder told YouTuber Wonder Meg. "I don't know how we do it, but the idea will be that we'll try and get everyone who's coming — I don't know what the price will be, we'll try and set a price for the weekend — we'll give half of that money to [the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention] and the rest to whatever it costs to put the thing on."

37 minutes ago, bentbryan said:

Any word on the making-of special? I thought there was going to be something like that on HBOmax as well. 

Not that I have found yet.

But they have added a 3-minute 'What you should be watching' video of his favorite films.

Edited by Bosco685

some scenes were very much improved

I really enjoyed the scene where cyborg revealed his origins, much improved

it is just as interesting to note what is missing and/or rearranged

it isn't just more, although I do feel at times it was too indulgent

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm a little confused what you are trying to convince yourself of. But please don't take that as challenging your reaction to the film. It is what it is.

But it has been noted a few times the 214 minute original cut which came from a 5-hour assembly cut came together because AT&T and WarnerMedia opened the door to find quality content to stream on HBO Max. That led to not cutting the film down to a more realistic 2.5-3 hour movie to the full finished 214 minutes + 5 minutes of reshoots leading to the Epilogue.

So if you are wondering if this 4 hour movie had been released in 2017, not even Snyder was thinking of releasing a 214 (+) minute movie at the theaters. It was just a perfect opportunity now to do this.

Not trying to convince myself of anything. I'm just saying that I think as I try to really get to the heart of what I "think" about the movie, I can't help but realize that ... unlike with most other movies, this version of this particular movie comes with so much baggage, for good or for bad, that it's impossible to determine how I (I can't speak for you, or anyone else) would have reacted if we'd just seen this movie instead of the original version.  Not knowing about the backstory, the tragedy, the lawsuit, the incredible fan support, on top of the disappointment that was the first version.  And mind you, I actually found the first version watchable. I'm just saying watching this the other night I felt like I was watching an "event" as much as I was watching a movie... so it's hard to separate the two.  That's all.  So I think it'll probably be only after repeated viewings and living with this movie for a while that I'd come to a real conclusion about what I think about the actual movie itself, on it's own merits.

5 hours ago, RickSp said:

I’d love to see the opinion of someone who hasn’t seen the theatrical to do it the other way around and start with this one....

That would be interesting. I had only watched the theatrical once at release and never revisited it. Thankfully I had forgotten some of it. But I remember enough to know the below is complete BS.

D9EA6FE9-B645-4E78-8FE0-869A9AC41606.jpeg

2 hours ago, Oddball said:

That would be interesting. I had only watched the theatrical once at release and never revisited it. Thankfully I had forgotten some of it. But I remember enough to know the below is complete BS.

D9EA6FE9-B645-4E78-8FE0-869A9AC41606.jpeg

This guy never watched either film.  It's night and day difference.

6 hours ago, jsilverjanet said:

whedon is a hack 

I felt 100% the same.  I thought to myself, "I must have really forgotten lots of it."  But no, it is a completely different film - much more coherent - this plugs in so many gaps and questions that just were caused by totally superfluous and disconnected scenes.  I question why Paramount didn't just make this into 2 movies - similar to Infinity War/End Game.  I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and would recommend watching all 4 hours of it.  I am so glad they took out stupid/campy scenes like Flash rescuing the peasants towards the end, and I am so glad they added the epilogue, including Martian Manhunter.  Another piece of editing that was done right - breaking it up into PARTS.  That alone made the movie feel shorter.  I had low expectations for this movie, but I must say, this one was done right.

Ive never been a big Snyder fan but this is his best film to date for me and totally makes up for BvS. I never once got bored of the movie or looked at the clock. I would really like to see Snyder's full dceu realized now but WB has course corrected so hard from this i doubt a second and third JL movie will be made let alone an older Batman vs. Deathstroke!!. I doubt WB will ever recover from the mistakes they have made since stepping through the door with a "shared" movie universe. 

I liked it a lot.  and was amazed at how much of it was shot, but cut out after Snyder left.  Sure, most was cut to get the running time down like all big movies.  (one extra show a day makes a lot more money!)  And was surprised some bigger scenes Remembered were taken out completely (the Russian family, Aquaman telling th truth sitting on the magic lasso, Batman and WW talking privately, etc)  the entire plot makes sense finally...  Just a fun ride with and a great realization of some of our favorite heroes whose movies haven't quite been made sow well before.  I kinda hope the Snyder Cut groupies now start pushing for episodes 4 and 5 by Snyder!!

Just finished the 2nd half. Basically everything I said about the first half holds true to the 2nd half.

I really like the Flash. A breakout star here, while in the original cut just ok. Oh and I also love Ben Affleck as Batman.

Great ending, while the Joker dialog I think went on a bit too long. Some scenes felt a bit rough around the edges.

Overall I would give this movie a very strong B/B+. Clearly a labor of love and I can't wait to watch this on UHD. Oh and the Martin Manhunter was a nice addition.

This movie makes Joss Whedon look like a fool.

Edited by Rip