• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 1/13/2022 at 8:19 AM, Lord Gemini said:

****** This book is being falsely pumped as the first Grogu Comic Cover. This information is inaccurate.

The first Grogu comic cover and interior appearance is from the Graphic Novel published by Disney and Penguin Random House titled. Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season One Volume One (03/21).

On 1/13/2022 at 3:14 PM, 500Club said:

To collectors, there’s comics, and there’s ancillary items.  The first traditional comic appearances tend to be collected, whether or not an ancillary item has had a previous appearance.

This is an is ongoing debate on these boards. Some people define a comic book as something that fits into a certain box or bag they purchased. Others define it as a printed story told through sequential art, usually with word balloons, and suggest that the size of the bag or box is irrelevant.

In 21st century terms, the debate is about platform vs. content.

For me personally, a comic book is a comic book in any size. Action Comics #1 is a completely different size than Action Comics #1000, but they're both comic books - a treasury edition, or a magazine-size or digest-size format publication is still a comic book. It just has slightly greater variation in size than the Action Comics examples do. In fact, some magazine-sized comic books are closer to the size of Action Comics #1 than many modern comics books.

It seems to me that the debate over "that's not a comic book" started originally with people who wanted to sell a 2nd or 3rd appearance as a 1st appearance, in order to get more money (e.g. Rocket Raccoon, Yoda).

So when people say "That's not a comic book," what they really mean is "That's not a comic book of the exact size that has made up about 90% of sales in the North American direct market since about 1982".

I'll get down from the pulpit now...      rantrant

On 1/13/2022 at 3:19 PM, Brock said:
On 1/13/2022 at 1:14 PM, 500Club said:

To collectors, there’s comics, and there’s ancillary items.  The first traditional comic appearances tend to be collected, whether or not an ancillary item has had a previous appearance.

This is an is ongoing debate on these boards.

Doesn’t much matter if there’s debate.  I’m speaking from the perspective of how the market has traditionally allocated dollars and buying interest.  The fact Mando/Grogu appear in a sequential pictorial story in GN form won’t stop many collectors from buying DV 20 as ‘first cover’ of Mando/Grogu.

If you see a ‘comic book’ as encompassing any sequential graphic or comic art, your choice should be to collect Mando S1 V1. (shrug)

The fact that the market hasn’t run up the price of that GN is telling, though.

On 1/13/2022 at 4:19 PM, Brock said:

This is an is ongoing debate on these boards. Some people define a comic book as something that fits into a certain box or bag they purchased. Others define it as a printed story told through sequential art, usually with word balloons, and suggest that the size of the bag or box is irrelevant.

In 21st century terms, the debate is about platform vs. content.

For me personally, a comic book is a comic book in any size. Action Comics #1 is a completely different size than Action Comics #1000, but they're both comic books - a treasury edition, or a magazine-size or digest-size format publication is still a comic book. It just has slightly greater variation in size than the Action Comics examples do. In fact, some magazine-sized comic books are closer to the size of Action Comics #1 than many modern comics books.

It seems to me that the debate over "that's not a comic book" started originally with people who wanted to sell a 2nd or 3rd appearance as a 1st appearance, in order to get more money (e.g. Rocket Raccoon, Yoda).

So when people say "That's not a comic book," what they really mean is "That's not a comic book of the exact size that has made up about 90% of sales in the North American direct market since about 1982".

I'll get down from the pulpit now...      rantrant

Not really much of a debate when the majority of collectors have decided. It's like calling a hot dog a sandwich.

The Disney+ show came out first, so who cares if they were in a coloring book or some other media after.  In fact, both have been on the cover of Star Wars Insider magazine as well, and CGC grades those.

First comic book cover format may matter to some, but at this point just being on the cover really doesn't move the needle.

On 1/13/2022 at 6:21 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

The Disney+ show came out first, so who cares if they were in a coloring book or some other media after.  In fact, both have been on the cover of Star Wars Insider magazine as well, and CGC grades those.

First comic book cover format may matter to some, but at this point just being on the cover really doesn't move the needle.

I don't know. The Clone Wars was a thing in other media before Ahsoka Tano appeared in the comics, and look how Clone Wars #1 is doing now.

On 1/13/2022 at 3:14 PM, 500Club said:

To collectors, there’s comics, and there’s ancillary items.  The first traditional comic appearances tend to be collected, whether or not an ancillary item has had a previous appearance.  The ancillary items are also collected, and can also be winners.  The point, though, is that an appearance in a non-traditional form doesn’t tend to make the forst comic appearance meaningless.  See: Harley Quinn, Rocket Raccoon, Boba Fett…

See Star Lord :baiting:

J/k :bigsmile:

On 1/15/2022 at 11:26 AM, ygogolak said:

See Star Lord :baiting:

J/k :bigsmile:

It’s a joke, but in some ways it’s true, in that it illustrates that there are no ‘rules’.  The market is what it is, decides what it decides, and no matter how much pizzing and moaning a guy does in his eBay listing, it’s just tilting at windmills. 

Question: With the debatable "success" so far of new The Book of Boba Fett series, and the questionable direction that show has portrayed and taken Boba... has there ever been a long-popular character whose reputation and essence has been dramatically altered by new iterations and portrayals in media so as to hurt the value and popularity of their early comic appearances? IOW, the current generation of Star Wars fans are not seeing the enigmatic badass character older generations grew up on but rather an older, weaker, tired character, so far lacking in the cunningness and badassness that even Vader respected back in the day. Currently the new show has really popped some modern books like DV1 with showing Krrsantan, and the spec-book SWTales 7 (Boba's daughter) and others, but I wonder if Boba himself will lose luster and appeal as a character (and thus popularity and thus demand and thus early appearance values of SW42 & 68 etc). I'm just musing out loud because I'm not enjoying seeing what they're doing so far to Boba in the series. 

On 1/16/2022 at 10:43 AM, jcjames said:

Question: With the debatable "success" so far of new The Book of Boba Fett series, and the questionable direction that show has portrayed and taken Boba... has there ever been a long-popular character whose reputation and essence has been dramatically altered by new iterations and portrayals in media so as to hurt the value and popularity of their early comic appearances? IOW, the current generation of Star Wars fans are not seeing the enigmatic badass character older generations grew up on but rather an older, weaker, tired character, so far lacking in the cunningness and badassness that even Vader respected back in the day. Currently the new show has really popped some modern books like DV1 with showing Krrsantan, and the spec-book SWTales 7 (Boba's daughter) and others, but I wonder if Boba himself will lose luster and appeal as a character (and thus popularity and thus demand and thus early appearance values of SW42 & 68 etc). I'm just musing out loud because I'm not enjoying seeing what they're doing so far to Boba in the series. 

Yeah, such a badass that he lost control of his jet pack and fell into the Sarlacc pit. Disappointment comes from ascribing mythical qualities to a character that originally got very little screen time.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:01 AM, Lord Gemini said:

Yeah, such a badass that he lost control of his jet pack and fell into the Sarlacc pit. Disappointment comes from ascribing mythical qualities to a character that originally got very little screen time.

People seem to forget the 20+ years of lore that established him as a badass that existed before Disney retconned and ruined it.

On 1/16/2022 at 11:58 AM, Tnexus said:

People seem to forget the 20+ years of lore that established him as a badass that existed before Disney retconned and ruined it.

I didn’t forget it. I just ignored it. I’ve read my fair share of the books and comics, but IMO, the characters became uber-powerful versions of themselves with all the fan service.

On 1/16/2022 at 1:13 PM, Lord Gemini said:
On 1/16/2022 at 12:58 PM, Tnexus said:

I didn’t forget it. I just ignored it. I’ve read my fair share of the books and comics, but IMO, the characters became uber-powerful versions of themselves with all the fan service.

A couple things I’ve noticed from all of this is that while many are disappointed with the Rodriguez episodes, it seems to be a bit muted among the population that is familiar with the Clone Wars series. In CW we got to see a bit more of Boba Fett and his coming of age. He was far from being the most badass bounty hunter in the galaxy. That crown went to Cad Bane. I still think we will get a more of the Fett people love/longed for, but it isn’t completely jumping the shark on Fett’s character.

Also, I came of age between the OT and the prequels, but it seems the younger generation of Star Wars fans gravitate to characters like Maul and Ahsoka more than they do Boba Fett. Sure, they still love their Fett, but it’s nowhere near Maul and Ahsoka. I think this is what has helped Star Wars stay relevant and maintain a lot of excitement in the franchise.

If there is a common thread, it is to keep Robert Rodriguez away from Star Wars forever. 

On 1/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, The bard said:

Am I missing something?  It looks like you can buy these for $30-50 buy it now on eBay with tons of supply. 

Yeah, a lot of first prints available in that price range. I’m not sure why that one got bid up like that. Granted, I haven’t looked to see if it was some oddball variant that wasn’t listed as such.