• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Star Wars Comics that are heating up
17 17

1,470 posts in this topic

On 1/12/2022 at 11:16 AM, Rip said:

Not all sold for $25. Some did.

(tsk)

On 1/12/2022 at 11:32 AM, Rip said:

I was going to say Westfield and 2 other places, but they all just sold out since in the last hour. Hmm...

They seem to still have some.... (But its UK)

https://www.pepcomics.com/nld/star-wars-darth-vader-20-sprouse-lucasfilm-50th-var

Westfield will cancel your order. They are pretty terrible with pre-orders.

I was going to ask as well where they are cheaper.  I have searched everywhere I know online, and nadda.  I'm not paying $25 a piece for those.  I ordered my requisite 4 copies of Darth Vader #20, but of course that Sprouse cover had not been shown so I did not order any in my FOC pre-order.  I really wish they wouold show covers at least by FOC day.

On 1/12/2022 at 12:47 PM, gradejunky said:

I was going to ask as well where they are cheaper.  I have searched everywhere I know online, and nadda.  I'm not paying $25 a piece for those.  I ordered my requisite 4 copies of Darth Vader #20, but of course that Sprouse cover had not been shown so I did not order any in my FOC pre-order.  I really wish they wouold show covers at least by FOC day.

It will be cheaper. The book isn't out yet. FOMO sales.

On 1/12/2022 at 10:47 AM, gradejunky said:

Yeah. For this month I decided to cut down on my order from 5A and 5 Sprouse to just 2A and 1 Sprouse. Oops. lol

If they had shown it I would have gone for a much larger order like I did with the WotBH #5 Anakin/Ashoka variant, or the Thrawn one.

On 1/12/2022 at 9:27 AM, awakeintheashes said:

Yeah, if they are out of stock, I recommend doing that. My two stores still have quite a few. I get a copy each visit. 

Nice. The stores here have been dry since the start of last year, and all but my file store are unaware that Diamond still had some up until Monday. That may have changed with the Eye of the Storm #1 dropping this week.

Hmmm...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165280066247?hash=item267b75aac7:g:BFkAAOSwBpNh33qB

In the description:

"****** This book is being falsely pumped as the first Grogu Comic Cover. This information is inaccurate.

The first Grogu comic cover and interior appearance is from the Graphic Novel published by Disney and Penguin Random House titled. Star Wars: The Mandalorian Season One Volume One (03/21).

In this GN the entire season of the hit show is put in GN form. By that I mean panels and speech bubbles.

Per sources: Key Collector Comics is alleged to claim this is “not really a comic”. Even though it has every criteria met. The source states that still photos from the show are not art. I was unaware that photos and film were not art. Does Key Collector and other speculation sites (CHU) have a financial interest that might be thwarted by this information?  Don’t be a sheep.

Common Reasoning for SWDV #20 = 1) it’s more collectible. This is false and highly subjective. Both books are made of paper and degrade the same way. 2) it’s not drawn. Correct it is not, but art is art, and takes many forms. While these are still pictures, art was used to create the costumes and digital images in the show. That art was then put on display in a comic. 3) it can’t be graded. True it cannot, but not everyone cares about grading. These egotistical people believe that every Star Wars fan or Mandalorian fan is a comic collector. 

The real reason is $$$$$$$$$$ and anyone arguing otherwise is a complete fraud. You have a bunch of greedy, money hungry people trying to convince you that this “is the book”. They will gladly charge 50 bucks for a $4 comic because they either control or have connections to the supply.

Who should you believe? Facts are facts. The Mandalorian GN is indeed a comic and Grogu appears both on the cover and inside. But disregard those facts and ask yourself who has more to gain from this pumping? The people desperately pumping a book to over 10x retail, who most likely have direct or indirect access to supply? The same people who desperately seek to diminish the art in the GN, because it’s not drawn. Conversely, myself who has nothing to gain at all, hence the outrageous prices."

On 1/13/2022 at 9:47 AM, topcat54 said:

Yeah, I think so. The author of that article is much more level-headed than the eBay lister, though. 

In the end, the market is going to decide whether this book is the Issue of Primary Significance. 

My bet is on the traditional serial release from Marvel or IDW in the coming months or years, though. Still nothing announced.

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 1/13/2022 at 8:34 AM, CheeseFrog said:

I had read that as well.  If true will be disappointing.  Time will tell. 

Grogu is in that. It's just a graphic adaptation and in GN form. So, while it may be his first time in print there will be many that don't care. See Boba Fett...

To collectors, there’s comics, and there’s ancillary items.  The first traditional comic appearances tend to be collected, whether or not an ancillary item has had a previous appearance.  The ancillary items are also collected, and can also be winners.  The point, though, is that an appearance in a non-traditional form doesn’t tend to make the forst comic appearance meaningless.  See: Harley Quinn, Rocket Raccoon, Boba Fett…

On 1/13/2022 at 1:14 PM, 500Club said:

To collectors, there’s comics, and there’s ancillary items.  The first traditional comic appearances tend to be collected, whether or not an ancillary item has had a previous appearance.  The ancillary items are also collected, and can also be winners.  The point, though, is that an appearance in a non-traditional form doesn’t tend to make the forst comic appearance meaningless.  See: Harley Quinn, Rocket Raccoon, Boba Fett…

And the Wolverine from Foom #2 in 1973......... :devil:

$_58c

Edited by kimik