• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Big Boy pants discussion (post'em if you got'em)
1 1

95 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, tabcom said:
On 12/13/2020 at 11:50 AM, batman_fan said:

My participations

Human Torch 1 - definitely not the biggest Timely title, but certainly an iconic one.

humantorch1.jpg

How did #2 become #1?

This is from Brent's site (QualityComix)

If you are holding a Human Torch Comics #2 in your hand right now you are actually holding a Human Torch Comics #1. Here's how it works. In August 1940 Timely hit the newsstands with Red Raven Comics #1, a winged "super-man" dressed in red. Yeah, not the best idea since there was already a Superman without bizarre bright red wings that could fly, and bend steel and well you get the picture. So with issue number two they simply changed the name of the book and took the newly popular Human Torch and gave him his own adventures. He would co-star with Sub-mariner again in this new issue as he had previously in Marvel Mystery Comics. 

9 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

This is from Brent's site (QualityComix)

If you are holding a Human Torch Comics #2 in your hand right now you are actually holding a Human Torch Comics #1. Here's how it works. In August 1940 Timely hit the newsstands with Red Raven Comics #1, a winged "super-man" dressed in red. Yeah, not the best idea since there was already a Superman without bizarre bright red wings that could fly, and bend steel and well you get the picture. So with issue number two they simply changed the name of the book and took the newly popular Human Torch and gave him his own adventures. He would co-star with Sub-mariner again in this new issue as he had previously in Marvel Mystery Comics. 

According to web news sources the Red Raven flew off to Cozumel with Martin Goodman’s profits.  hm

Seriously, with the Human Torch firmly established as the leading star of Marvel Mystery it made total sense from a business stand point to feature the character in his own magazine.  The Red Raven had great potential and Joe & Jack were rising stars themselves, but the new character was given very little time to build a following in the heavily competitive comic book publishing world of 1940.

30 minutes ago, Cat-Man_America said:

Seriously, with the Human Torch firmly established as the leading star of Marvel Mystery it made total sense from a business stand point to feature the character in his own magazine.  The Red Raven had great potential and Joe & Jack were rising stars themselves, but the new character was given very little time to build a following in the heavily competitive comic book publishing world of 1940.

I now want a copy again anyone have a copy :takeit:

On 12/13/2020 at 10:50 AM, batman_fan said:

My participations

Human Torch 1 - definitely not the biggest Timely title, but certainly an iconic one.

Green Giant 1 - The 1st and only book ever published by Pelican

Batman 1 - not in the same class as Detective 27 but certainly up high on the DC list.

humantorch1.jpg

greenGiant1.jpg

Batman1.jpg

Love the Human Torch #1.  Recall back around 2002 Richard Evans offered me a high grade Human Torch #1 and a lower grade Cap #1.  Had the hardest time deciding between both books, but finally chose the Cap #1.  The HT#1 was later graded a universal 8.5.  😥

You can never go wrong with a Bat 1, especially one that nice.🥰

Edited by Ltpink2002

10 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

As someone who only has a dozen or so Golden Age books in the PC, am I even allowed to be here?!!?!

And no none of them are "big boys" or girls for that matter...

Big Boy & Big Girl books are usually on display in every featured auction and anyone can play.  (thumbsu

Edited by Cat-Man_America

42 minutes ago, circumstances said:

Major key back in the day, I guess it fell out of favor? and is now back on the upswing?

All the question marks mean I have no idea.

120222382_10158460296121675_7394465921950084687_n.jpg

Sigh,swoon faint.If I had a choice of 'Bigs'-well,REALLY bigs this would likely be the one.The number two would likely be All American #61(I'm allowed one from each big company right?My fantasy,I say yes!).I collect with my heart,dollars are an unfortunate side affect.

44 minutes ago, Tri-ColorBrian said:

I'm still not quite sure what a Big Boy Pants book is.  The definition at the beginning was kinda vague...Is this a Big Boy Pants book, or just a Pants book?  I can't really tell if he's wearing any pants though...:whatthe:

16359654977_4f9b2abbc3_c.jpg

I can’t tell if that Big Boy has pants on or not, but if robots enter the picture, I’d give him a big thumbs up! (thumbsu

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America