• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board upgrades? Aka The Airing of Grievances Thread
12 12

1,538 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

I wouldn't expect that every question about moderation will be answered.

I definitely don't.  I moderated forums well before this one ever existed, and it's mostly unsatisfying work, or that's how I found it.  I'd never want to do it on a site I enjoyed posting on so I mostly appreciate those who do it aside from the rare occasions when they start to clearly over-moderate.

I knew two of the user moderators on that list and correctly guessed a third years ago but didn't have it confirmed until now, but you weren't one of them.

Edited by fantastic_four

1 minute ago, BaronSamedi said:
14 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

If 1 mod hides a post, another isn't going to unhide it.  Moderators respect others mods decisions.  

So that means the Moderation review is pointless?

Moderation review is usually handled by an admin.  Due to the pandemic, admin availability had been limited.  If someone has a question about a pulled FS thread, I usually try to answer.  If it's a moderation action that involves posting guidelines,  I don't.   Although it is encouraged by admins to add a note in the warning.   An admin does check on every moderation action that is taken against board members by volunteer mods.

6 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

Moderation review is usually handled by an admin.  Due to the pandemic, admin availability had been limited.  If someone has a question about a pulled FS thread, I usually try to answer.  If it's a moderation action that involves posting guidelines,  I don't.   Although it is encouraged by admins to add a note in the warning.   An admin does check on every moderation action that is taken against board members by volunteer mods.

Might as well just say.

giphy (2).gif

44 minutes ago, IkewithMike said:

I'm going to speculate that mod1 is actually an admin account

They're all admin accounts.  I'm guessing Arch is Arch, and Dena is Dena, and any of the cgcmod(x) accounts are some periodically-changing mix of employees of Arch's company, the CCS, or user moderators.  I'm guessing the user moderators have higher numbers and the employees of Arch's company and the CCS are mostly low numbers.  I'm guessing cgcmod1 is one of Architect's co-workers, but this is all speculation.

Which is why I was surprised to hear G G say we now know who cgcmod1 is.  I would assume they're a paid person who moderates in their spare time who doesn't have their own account in this forum.

I'm guessing a large part of CGC's decision to finally make the identity of the board moderators public is knowing it should make their job much, much easier, as going forward even their appearance in a thread should immediately quell any shenanigans. Sort of like when the Dementors arrive in Harry Potter.

1 minute ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm guessing a large part of CGC's decision to finally make the identity of the board moderators public is knowing it should make their job much, much easier, as going forward even their appearance in a thread should immediately quell any shenanigans.

I don't agree at all. I would hate to have my P.M. box flashing like the bat signal, and listen to endless whining and crying,.............. why me? I didn't do it.

1 minute ago, Black_Adam said:

I'm guessing a large part of CGC's decision to finally make the identity of the board moderators public is knowing it should make their job much, much easier, as going forward even their appearance in a thread should immediately quell any shenanigans. Sort of like when the Dementors arrive in Harry Potter.

Was it intentional?  Seems pretty lame to do that, and not give the volunteers prior notice.

Just now, DR.X said:

I don't agree at all. I would hate to have my P.M. box flashing like the bat signal, and listen to endless whining and crying,.............. why me? I didn't do it.

I still can’t believe members actually hump the notify button.  

1 minute ago, DR.X said:

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Was it intentional?  Seems pretty lame to do that, and not give the volunteers prior notice.

I was only joking. I actually think the reveal, intentional or not, may actually lead to multiple mod resignations as I am sure going forward it will suck some of the joy from the boards for them.

2 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

I was only joking. I actually think the reveal, intentional or not, may actually lead to multiple mod resignations as I am sure going forward it will suck some of the joy from the boards for them.

39 minutes ago, fantastic_four said:

They're all admin accounts.  I'm guessing Arch is Arch, and Dena is Dena, and any of the cgcmod(x) accounts are some periodically-changing mix of employees of Arch's company, the CCS, or user moderators.  I'm guessing the user moderators have higher numbers and the employees of Arch's company and the CCS are mostly low numbers.  I'm guessing cgcmod1 is one of Architect's co-workers, but this is all speculation.

Which is why I was surprised to hear G G say we now know who cgcmod1 is.  I would assume they're a paid person who moderates in their spare time who doesn't have their own account in this forum.

explain to me why any member moderator should be kept secret. 

explain to me why any member moderator is allowed to moderate other members, when the member moderator commits the same type of infractions that another member receives a disciplinary action for.

you use roy as an example (which you do very often) in emphasizing your perception of a political post. yet you have on many occasions, including the  covid 19 thread, committed the same indiscretion that you accuse another member of. i do not recall you receiving disciplinary action for same, but i do recall the many times you hint at the post of another member. usually it is a member that you have publicly stated a less than courteous opinion of. 

secret member moderators that have always displayed a certain bent of opinion toward another member should never be allowed to moderate that member, or for that matter, any other member, for the very obvious reason that moderation denotes impartiality.

again, why should any member moderator be kept a secret? 

i would also mention that i do not have any comfortability in the statement that every moderation action is reviewed by admin: it may be reviewed at a later point in time, but it isn't in real time. over and over, a member has been almost instantly disciplined after a post, by a member moderator, that is questionable as in need of discipline, save for the prejudices of the volunteer moderator

there is a reason that public debates...sports, news topics, hobbies, etc.....have publicly known and disclosed moderators. 

"this evenings' moderators are: blahblahblah"

throughout history humankind has rebelled against secret disciplinary action. it is a fear/control tactic.

full disclosure: you know exactly where i stand on political posts.

when i publicly disclose a reporting, should the volunteer moderator belittle the public disclosure of reporting?

if the answer is yes, then that person is not impartial and should not be a moderator anywhere.

if the answer is no, then the volunteer moderator should be honorable and resign.

27 minutes ago, Black_Adam said:

Complete opposite for me lol

24 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I still can’t believe members actually hump the notify button.  

Why? I've had to do it. Some people here hit a certain point with you where they become simply intolerable and the only option you have is be banned or start playing that game.

I am not a fan of moderation, I am a fan of having an ignore function that wipes another users existence from your experience. 

The old fashioned way of doing things was running people off, and it was widely accepted and generally effective. Then suddenly the internet became for everyone, because there is money to be made. So the next best thing came along, the ignore feature. It was a boon.

Dunno what happened to THAT, but hey, here we are

13 minutes ago, JazzMan said:

@greggy After reading 10 pages I missed since I logged off yesterday, I'm disappointed...not a single high resolution scan of Strawberry Shortcake and not a glimpse of High Times #1.

Sorry, I tried to look for that scan but it went missing when my photobucket pics got moved to their new site.  Regardless, the board software shrinks down the size anyways now so it's as effective anymore.  I don't know where the High Times #1 pic is located but I was considering posting the Mad #166 cover yesterday.

Sorry I failed you.

xoxo

greggy

38 minutes ago, DR.X said:

I am not going to name the person but this is a summation of the message I received the other evening. "Hi, I think you are a mod.  Is there any reason my sales thread was deleted the other evening?"

I told him I was not, but went to his current sales thread and noticed two things that were not in accordance to the selling rules in the non-deleted thread.  I let him know... 

So, yeah... I could see how that could get annoying. 

Edited by Buzzetta