• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Board upgrades? Aka The Airing of Grievances Thread
12 12

1,538 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

If you fill in the application form without using capital letters and the correct punctuation, will you be stricken from this realm forever?

If only.

14 hours ago, Comicopolis said:

I don't care who your are, Mod or not, whinging cry baby or not, grammatically incorrect or not, but if you can get rid of this huge column of annoyance - not the secret name of any board member, I promise - on the right of my computer screen, I'll be eternally grateful. 

Seconded.

8 hours ago, G G ® said:

I agree with your sentiment, but you need to attribute it to the moderator who said it, and not to me.

1 was responding to sharon. i quoted her from your post. that is what happens.

i was not addressing you.

stuff happens.

2 hours ago, wilbil said:

when i click on it, only 2 choices show up: report or share.

i realize i only use the first one usually, but still....

When you click the three dots on the post made by someone else you will only see report or share.  When you click on the three dots on a post that you have made you should see, ‘report’, ‘share’, and now, ‘edit’ and, ‘hide’.

6763C4D0-AE13-4BF2-8EC5-99481E2D22CB.png

Edited by Buzzetta

thank you.

yep, i figured it out a while ago. as usual, i am slow on the technology stuff.

i don't need the edit, though, because it is in my nature to not use caps, and to let my mistakes and sentence structure and spelling and lack of post clarity stand. lazy, i guess.

plus, donut always thought i used caps to much and inappropriately. so....all small letters. easier.

i only demand perfection from other people. 

i do wish marking a thread as read already was easier, though. i am old, and forget what i read already if 3 minutes or so passes.

7 hours ago, gino2paulus2 said:

That’s funny you mention that as I started a thread about that in the gold section not too long ago where I found a rare book someone cracked out and listed as better. Not sure how these folks sleep at night!! Here is a book that is as rare as Hens teeth that I personally think presents much nicer than the grade but has a detached cover. Bought this one raw and will probably never ever sell it although Ive have had some nice offers. 

0B86C6E6-4478-4DD2-9C02-6C8968DECD1B.jpeg

7 hours ago, kav said:

Maybe you could do the trick of slipping the thin piece of cover back under staple as described by @Buzzetta:idea:
Then list 'er!!

I want to make it perfectly clear to new people reading this that 'the trick' was not one of my design.  It came up in another thread where people were talking about shady practices and unethical things that people had requested to Joe.  The more shady of the two ways was by reversing the centerfold and the adjoining interior wrap.  The former board member had claimed that CGC counts pages but does not read the story.  So if you had a detached or loose centerfold, he advised opening up the staples and now removing the next interior wrap.  Place the detached wrap into the page order and anchor it by laying the in-tact wrap over it and closing the staples.   The page count stays the same, the detached wrap would not be detected but the page order is wrong.

• It's a scummy thing to do.
  • I have never done it. 
  • I scolded the board member for suggesting it. 
  • They "claimed" that they never did it themselves after I expressed my, "Why would you even think of something like that?" attitude.
  • I don't know if I truly believe that anymore.
  • There were a number of things that the individual postulated that gave me concern as to how people monkey around with books. 
  • Among them, that thread in 'restored' was not the first time I had heard of the idea of taking a tweezers to a silver age book to mask a trim so it would be called, "marvel chipping" or if it was a low grade book with a "top edge trim" in a purple label, (1.0?) to rip the top half of the cover off so it would be a blue label .5 remaindered. 
Edited by Buzzetta

3 hours ago, wilbil said:

1 was responding to sharon. i quoted her from your post. that is what happens.

i was not addressing you.

stuff happens.

I know exactly what you were doing. Just take some time and be bothered to quote the OP in the original post. It will take you all of 10 seconds. Make an effort.

5 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I want to make it perfectly clear to new people reading this that 'the trick' was not one of my design.  It came up in another thread where people were talking about shady practices and unethical things that people had requested to Joe.  The more shady of the two ways was by reversing the centerfold and the adjoining interior wrap.  The former board member had claimed that CGC counts pages but does not read the story.  So if you had a detached or loose centerfold, he advised opening up the staples and now removing the next interior wrap.  Place the detached wrap into the page order and anchor it by laying the in-tact wrap over it and closing the staples.   The page count stays the same, the detached wrap would not be detected but the page order is wrong.

• It's a scummy thing to do.
  • I have never done it. 
  • I scolded the board member for suggesting it. 
  • They "claimed" that they never did it themselves after I expressed my, "Why would you even think of something like that?" attitude.
  • I don't know if I truly believe that anymore.
  • There were a number of things that the individual postulated that gave me concern as to how people monkey around with books. 

this seems like a tremendous amount of work, for a less than sure thing gain.

if somebody is artistic enough and original to come up with this kind of tooling finessing, then jesus, there are a lot more satisfying and less complicated pursuits that would pay better, like antique furniture restorer, wood cabinet restoration ( does anybody know the cost of purchasing new real wood cabinetry:ohnoez:), or silk art repair.....very well paying, really.

i don't understand the effort to bloink a comic for a few dollars.

9 minutes ago, G G ® said:

(thumbsu

since i don't know you or interact with you on the boards, that i recall, i am confused at your ire for no reason. i get it all time, but there is usually an explanation.

then, i just figured it out:idea:

your are the member that was involved with the member nic in a sale situation that was less than satisfying for you.

disclaimer: i don't know either of you. i posted a review of the issue.

i can understand how it may not have been received by you in the manner intended.

no harm no foul.

1 hour ago, wilbil said:

this seems like a tremendous amount of work, for a less than sure thing gain.

if somebody is artistic enough and original to come up with this kind of tooling finessing, then jesus, there are a lot more satisfying and less complicated pursuits that would pay better, like antique furniture restorer, wood cabinet restoration ( does anybody know the cost of purchasing new real wood cabinetry:ohnoez:), or silk art repair.....very well paying, really.

i don't understand the effort to bloink a comic for a few dollars.

I am glad you brought that up because that's what the people that do these types of things would hope that you would think.   So I did a quick search for a 'target' book.  Let's take this book right here.

Amazing Fantasy 15 in a blue label 1.0 which sold in September of 2019 through Heritage for $9,600 including the buyer's premium.  The only notation on the cover of this book is that the centerfold is detached.   The cover is seemingly in tact.   

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/amazing-fantasy-15-marvel-1962-cgc-fr-10-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/121937-15430.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Now, it is common place to have a book pressed and I believe this is a candidate for it simply to remove the spine roll.  That in itself is not considered restoration.  People want to argue that it is, CGC does not recognize it as restoration.  It is what it is.  Those that disagree with it, take it to one of the many 'debates on pressing' threads.

However, if someone swaps the centerfold for the next adjoining wrap, they could theoretically hide the detached centerfold from the graders as they would only count the pages.  The only effort would be to open the staples and reset two pages.

Get the book pressed and graded again for around $75 given the value.  Now you are into the book for $9,675 + Shipping and tax (if you are in a state that charges it).

I say that book comes back as a 2.0 or 2.5.

Let's look at GPA for a 2.0 in both 2019 and 2020

The low numbers ($10,800 and $12,000) could be attributed to 2.0 copies were there is significant rub or qualifiers that would make the book less presentable.  If that spine roll is pressed out and the centerfold is masked you have a very attractive 2.0 as the damage from the spine roll is now on the back cover.  For an extra $100 and unethical reversal of the centerfold, you might just make around $5000 to $8000 going by the 'highs' of each of those years. 

1829146207_ScreenShot2020-12-19at9_48_20AM.thumb.png.90bb9890d7cf38d60685eca46fa65b39.png

image.thumb.png.d0ea2414bc7f401ac1c2c780b364bedd.png

Edited by Buzzetta