• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE 2021 SKETCH COVER MEGA THREAD
17 17

913 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2021 at 7:12 AM, Webhead2018 said:

I always find it a little odd doing x characters painted, sketched or what not on book that had nothing to do with said characters. Vs just doing them on a art board or something else.

I find many things odd but can refrain from commenting on things of little importance. 

It matters to me very little what blank it is on as I mainly choose blanks that artists feel comfortable drawing on.  Many artists will not work on certain blanks due to paper quality.  I choose blanks that offer the most space, logos that can easily be covered and paper that is kind to the artist….I find that makes for the best piece. I also do not collect anything other than CGC books so paper, art board, etc…is not an option. 

I am not here for the purists that need the character to match the title.  I am here for the art.  

On 7/24/2021 at 1:48 PM, ivdyer said:

May I ask why it matters to you so much that it is on a Punisher Blank?  The original piece I envisioned was for his character in the movie but when I saw the Uma signing I decided to pivot.  It matters to me very little what blank it is on as I mainly choose blanks that artists feel comfortable drawing on.  Many artists will not work on certain blanks due to paper quality.  I choose blanks that offer the most space, logos that can easily be covered and paper that is kind to the artist….I find that makes for the best piece.  I am not here for the purists that need the character to match the title.  I am here for the art.  

It is a matter of opinion.personally i prefer when it match the comic its drawn on,would i pass the opportunity to own a fantastic art like yours because it doesnt match-absolutely not id pay for it.but for that kind id prefer it to be on sketch paper or oa /sketch cartboard  than a comic plus its better for framing.but when the title of blank is covered up it is absolutely magnificent  it bugs me less,i wouldnt like a serious art like yours with the title my little pony showing lol,then again it is a point of view that i might change with time its still new to me that concept.

On 7/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Namtak said:

It is a matter of opinion.personally i prefer when it match the comic its drawn on,would i pass the opportunity to own a fantastic art like yours because it doesnt match-absolutely not id pay for it.but for that kind id prefer it to be on sketch paper or oa /sketch cartboard  than a comic plus its better for framing.but when the title of blank is covered up it is absolutely magnificent  it bugs me less,i wouldnt like a serious art like yours with the title my little pony showing lol,then again it is a point of view that i might change with time its still new to me that concept.

To each his own, I don’t critique your collection and would appreciate you refrain from critiquing mine or any other collection for that matter. This forum is for all types of collectors who appreciate the art in all forms and all mediums. We build each other up. 

I respect your opinion but I have beautiful frames from crafti comics that display my CGC SS books perfectly so I would say mine frame equally as well but then again that is my opinion 

On 7/24/2021 at 3:56 PM, ivdyer said:

To each his own, I don’t critique your collection and would appreciate you refrain from critiquing mine or any other collection for that matter. This forum is for all types of collectors who appreciate the art in all forms and all mediums. We build each other up. 

I respect your opinion but I have beautiful frames from crafti comics that display my CGC SS books perfectly so I would say mine frame equally as well but then again that is my opinion 

Never knew about crafti comics frame,i looked it up thanks for info!thats what i love i learned today .they seem real sharp those cgc frame :x.i like this forum i see  unique art that i will never see otherwise and discover new artist!and yes the opinion of everyone should be respected equaly if i wrote something you did not like im sorry it was not intentional.but if you have other info on how to improve the art/sketch experience please do inform me!

On 7/25/2021 at 4:58 PM, Webhead2018 said:

Hey I am not knocking folks getting things on totally unrelated books. I was more saying when it's something that may not have a book. Why doesn't folks just get things on art board or a regular sketch book type thing. 

This was answered previously. I don’t collect art boards, OA, paper, etc….only CGC SS books. Hence the reason I may choose a particular cover that may be unrelated to the celebrity.  It’s all about what you collect and that should not matter to anyone. We should just enjoy the art.  

On 7/25/2021 at 12:35 PM, RayJr said:

I agree with you on that brother. I had this sketch done by Ryan Kincaid of me as Blade, my wife as PG and her friend as Red Sonja and was questioned why is PG on a Marvel book. For one, I let the artist surprise me on the sketch, two, he has the blanks and three, it doesn’t matter because it’s my money and the sketch is for my collection to admire. 

5C0D4D68-2E1E-458B-B6DC-1D4504597219.jpeg

And that is still a great sketch brother Ray!  I may have to "borrow" that idea someday...

On 7/26/2021 at 11:47 PM, DELTA 62 said:

And that is still a great sketch brother Ray!  I may have to "borrow" that idea someday...

Thank you my brother. Oh I can’t wait to see what you come up with. I have one in the works now that I can’t wait to post so you can see it

On 7/25/2021 at 3:58 PM, Webhead2018 said:

Hey I am not knocking folks getting things on totally unrelated books. I was more saying when it's something that may not have a book. Why doesn't folks just get things on art board or a regular sketch book type thing. 

If I recall correctly, you have stated in the past that you do not collect/submit sketches for CGC slabbing - and that is your choice.  You continue to post your non-slabbed sketches and we all continue to enjoy looking at them.  

Even though this is a sketch cover thread on CGC's board, I believe everyone here still enjoys seeing sketches that aren't slabbed.  I don't feel that there is a need for unsolicited opinions or judgment.  As stated by ivdyer, just sit back and just enjoy the art!

On 7/26/2021 at 9:02 AM, RayJr said:

Thank you my brother. Oh I can’t wait to see what you come up with. I have one in the works now that I can’t wait to post so you can see it

Oh, well now I can't wait to see it!  Ha ha!  ;)

It will probably be a while before I "borrow" your idea... but probably a family sketch using either Star Wars or Marvel characters.  

On 7/27/2021 at 12:06 AM, DELTA 62 said:

Oh, well now I can't wait to see it!  Ha ha!  ;)

It will probably be a while before I "borrow" your idea... but probably a family sketch using either Star Wars or Marvel characters.  

That will definitely be badass brother. Now I definitely can’t wait to see that.

I not much for slabbing books myself. I only have 1 cgc ss grade book secret wars 8 signed by zeck. As for sketches I do prefer on sketch covers as easier to store and what not vs larger art board pieces. Though I do have a few 9x12 and 11x17 sketches on art boards. And recently since April gotten some page art.  I am not knocking folks art. All posted here look good and all that. And I was merely saying if x character or actor piece doesn't have a book I would figure person would rather do it in art board vs unrelated books. And cgc does have larger art slabs now. Though I don't know how folks feel about that filmsy looking slabs for 11x17 pieces. I am surprised those are not just regular slabs like comics and mags have.

Again wanted to say wasn't trying to bring ivd, or any one down on there set and art on books unrelated to what the book used was ivd, and others pieces are always killer items and look great. And I think they are wonderful. I was only curious why some folks do use x book for y sketch on x book. As for my sketch cover pieces I prefer getting character related to Said book. 

Hey all, I’m new to all this sketch work on comic books but find it really fascinating. I’m thinking about submitting some blank cover books to CGC for Jim Lee to sketch on, but I’m a little confused about how to submit them. If CGC requires all books be window bagged for submission, how did you all get these artists to fill the entire cover with their sketches, ie. edge-to-edge? Not to mention the back covers?? 
I’d really appreciate any pointers. Thanks!