• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
5 5

385 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, srezvan said:

Marvels TPB. Another classic that I just never read when it came out. Great artwork, but you'd expect nothing else from Alex Ross. Decent story, but a bit of an abrupt ending, I think. Has anyone read Marvels Epilogue? I don't have it but I'll pick it up if it adds to the story.

You are talking here about the original run from many many years ago, right? I haven't read it since it came out, but my general memory is of it telling classic Marvel tales from the everyman (represented by the newspaper reporter, I think?) prospective, so I'm having a little trouble visualizing there being an abrupt ending.

All I recall clearly is thinking it was quite brilliant, and that Ross and Busiek fellas were gonna go places.

6 hours ago, ttfitz said:

You are talking here about the original run from many many years ago, right? I haven't read it since it came out, but my general memory is of it telling classic Marvel tales from the everyman (represented by the newspaper reporter, I think?) prospective, so I'm having a little trouble visualizing there being an abrupt ending.

All I recall clearly is thinking it was quite brilliant, and that Ross and Busiek fellas were gonna go places.

In my review I'm talking about the original series. My question was about Marvels Epilogue that came out in 2019: https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=48865695 I'm not sure if that new addition to Marvels is any good.

17 minutes ago, srezvan said:

In my review I'm talking about the original series. My question was about Marvels Epilogue that came out in 2019

Yeah, I haven't read that. But since I don't remember the original series having "an abrupt ending" (not saying it didn't, I don't remember enough, as I said) I probably wouldn't be able to answer your question about that, in any case.

(And now that you've had me talking about it, maybe I'll dig both of them out and find out myself!)

Where are all the readers out there?

I'm up to 333 comics this year. I had a couple of quiet days, so I plowed through 4 more Invincible TPBs. I'm ready for this series to end. I wouldn't call it bad by any stretch, but it is getting very repetitive. Two more TPBs to go, and it should be done by the weekend.

Up next, I'm thinking maybe the new Maestro TPB and then the Doctor Aphra Omnibus. I don't know anything about her, but people seem to love her. I have not read the Invincible Universe TPBs or the Invincible Handbook, but maybe I save those for another time.

20210612_161455.thumb.jpg.7072f5627a27ae4de2fa5fc0d676dc2f.jpg 20210612_195754.thumb.jpg.b8c6a4b54e409cdf003e7ca3332733ed.jpg 20210613_140148.thumb.jpg.3363080f003b6d118832fee37b21ee7e.jpg 20210613_182030.thumb.jpg.0a2f3f1e2786b1e6c57104f46894ed7b.jpg

4 minutes ago, Raze said:

217-221

Jumbo Comics 161 and 162

Vault of Horror 29

Shock Suspenstories 3

Weird Science 20

Scan 2021-6-13 21.02.57.jpg

Scan 2021-6-13 21.03.30.jpg

Scan 2021-5-28 21.31.39.jpg

Scan 2021-5-28 21.32.49.jpg

Scan 2021-3-20 21.30.18.jpg

How do those EC stories hold up all these years later. I have some collected editions that I haven't gotten to yet.

Up to 350 comics this year. Finished up the full Invincible TPB run, equivalent to 144 comics. A bit of a rushed ending, but overall is was a fun series. I'm going to start watching the Amazon series next week.

Then read the Maestro TPB. It was a recommendation from the boards, and I enjoyed it. I'll get the next Maestro TPB when it comes out. I thought Peter David did a great job adding to Hulk: Future Imperfect.

Up next I'm debating between two omnis: Doctor Aphra and New Teen Titans (George Perez). I just don't know!

20210615_095241.jpg

20210617_053654.jpg

20210619_125354.jpg

On 6/13/2021 at 9:09 PM, srezvan said:

How do those EC stories hold up all these years later. I have some collected editions that I haven't gotten to yet.

I think they are still great! Not all issues and stories are great but 90% are still very readable!

Previous count - 299

Colonel Weird Cosmagog #1-4

Writing character who live their life out of order/simultaneously is always difficult, but Lemire does a pretty good job of it here. One of the more enjoyable of the "From the World of Black Hammer" series.

Robert Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy #1-3

Robert Heinlein is one of my favorite authors, and Citizen is one of my favorite of his books, but 3 issues just isn't enough for this adaptation of his novel. Get the actual book and read it instead, says I.

Bubba Ho-Tep and the Cosmic Bloodsuckers #1-5

Prequel to the Bubba Ho-Tep movie starring Bruce Campbell, as I understand it (haven't seen the movie), it was .... interesting. If you buy the idea that Elvis was secretly involved in a group dealing with supernatural threats, you might find this worth a try.

Jim Butcher's The Dresden Files: Storm Front Vol 1 #1-4 and Vol 2 #1-4

Now this was a much better adaptation, did a good job of covering the original novel, and giving you a feel for all the series characters. If you've never read The Dresden Files ("Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer meets Philip Marlowe" says Entertainment Weekly in a pretty good description), you should give this a try. And if you are a fan of the books and have read the novel, this is still a good read.

Black Hammer Visions #3-5

These have been hit or miss - none really to be skipped if you are a fan of the series, but none that should be picked up if you aren't.

Well there you have it. Updated total ... 322

On 6/14/2021 at 3:09 AM, srezvan said:

I re-read them every few years. So much classic material.

131 to 168

World War Hulk

Incredible Hulk 106 to 111 (6)

World War Hulk Worldbreaker one-shot (1)

Iron Man Director of Shield 19, 20 (2)

World War Hulk Frontline mini-series 1 to 6 (6)

World War Hulk (main series) 1 to 5 (5)

Irredeemable Ant-Man 10 (1)

Ghost Rider 12, 13 (2)

Heroes For Hire 11 to 15 (5)

World War Hulk X-Men mini-series 1 to 3 (3)

World War Hulk Gamma Corps mini-series 1 to 4 (4)

Avengers The Initiative 4, 5 (2)

Punisher War Journal 12 (1)

(38 in total)

The alien world setting of Planet Hulk made its storyline proceed nicely in a linear fashion, whereas Marvel overcompensates with World War Hulk, attempting to exploit the earthbound sequel by dumping far too many unnecessary and largely irrelevant mini-series.  The main storylines in World War Hulk and Incredible Hulk are perfectly okay, but the repetition of two scenes in particular, the arrival of Hulk and the Warbound, and the Iron Man vs Hulk battle first shown in Iron Man : Director of Shield brings the story progression to a grinding halt after World War Hulk 1.

Ant-Man, Heroes for Hire and X-Men have little of relevance or insight to add, and generally mediocre art.  Iron Man, Punisher and Gamma Corps were the better stories, with the Gamma Corps series indirectly questioning Hulk’s motivations for revenge and whether it was misguided.  Frontline was an interesting ‘ordinary people’ take on the events.  Ghost Rider, though largely irrelevant, had a final Illuminati scene which indicated that something might not have been quite right about Hulk's obsession with vengeance. 

The main World War Hulk series, once it picks up again from the mini-series, is a perfectly fine slugfest.  Not that keen on the JR JR art, though.

Edited by Ken Aldred

222-228

E-Ratic 1-5

This was a fun read. Here’s the premise, “15 years old. 10 minutes to save the world.” The main character gets some super powers that only lasts 10 minutes a day when should he use them how should he use them it was pretty good.

Shock Suspenstories 6

I have been wanting a copy of this since I first started collecting easy books about six years ago. Finally got it this week! The stories were good! Especially the cover story. I love how EC books tackled issues of the time.

Shock Suspenstories 12

this is a recent upgrade so I decided to reread it. The main story “Monkey” which is the cover, was well done.

5853FD56-B6AE-4BF8-9B64-17303090A531.jpeg

37D2E61E-E1FF-46CB-A0D5-ED3454B27384.jpeg

AA5F6E7F-3898-4E89-B26B-893FA68762A3.jpeg

Previous total - 322

Dracula: The Company of Monsters 1-12

Busiek and company give us a modern take on the Dracula story. Not the best Busiek, but still a worthwhile read.

New count - 334

Got some reading done over the long weekend. Caught up on X-Men just in time for the new Reign of X trades to start hitting. I enjoyed X of Swords much more than I’d expected. Still enjoying Hickman’s grand x-periment. Lots of big ideas and imagination. This isn’t the X-Men of my youth, but I’m enjoying it for what it is, and am still 100% invested.

This brings my total up to 373. Not even halfway there, and it’s already July. Not looking good!

A5F0709A-6257-4334-9389-28C8EF0CC2F4.jpeg

1 minute ago, F For Fake said:

Got some reading done over the long weekend. Caught up on X-Men just in time for the new Reign of X trades to start hitting. I enjoyed X of Swords much more than I’d expected. Still enjoying Hickman’s grand x-periment. Lots of big ideas and imagination. This isn’t the X-Men of my youth, but I’m enjoying it for what it is, and am still 100% invested.

This brings my total up to 373. Not even halfway there, and it’s already July. Not looking good!

A5F0709A-6257-4334-9389-28C8EF0CC2F4.jpeg

You'll make 1000, or your name isnt @F For Fake win win! Lol

1 minute ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

You'll make 1000, or your name isnt @F For Fake win win! Lol

I wish I had as much faith in me as you do!

355 comics so far this year. I'm a bit behind on reporting as I work through an omnibus that I'll post later.

Doctor Doom TPB #2/2. I was a little disappointed with the first TPB, but it was good enough for me to want to finish the series. I enjoyed this volume much more and the ending was really good.

20210714_065727.jpg