• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
5 5

385 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 4:14 AM, ttfitz said:

Anyway, that's 100, so now we have reached .... 464.

Week 2 of the 100 Back Issues a Week Challenge. Let's get to it:

Thor 352-355, 357-369, 371-373
Balder 1-4

More Simonson Thor goodness, including Thor, Frog of Thunder. What more needs be said?

Paper Girls 16-20

Strange and wonderful Brian K. Vaughan. Enjoying this one quite a lot.

The Boys 11-14

Ennis making with the Ennis stuff. Also highly entertaining.

Irredeemable 1-37, Special 1
Incorruptible 1-30

Mark Waid is a favorite of mine, it's gotten to the point where I don't even bother to read the description, just put it on my subscription list if it says "Written by Mark Waid." Boxes are sorted alphabetical, so I started with Incorruptible and was nearly done before I realized that it had spun off from Irredeemable, and had to go back and get caught up. Despite the out of order reading, it still was classic Waid, thinking you know where he's going and then he doesn't. Or he does, and it isn't quite what you expected. Whatever. Just read it.

So, another week in the record books, which brings us to 564.

450 comics so far this year.

Star Wars: Bounty Hunters Vol 2: story continues to be ok. I like Star Wars. I like Bounty Hunters. I think this is leading in to the War of the Bounty Hunters storyline. I didn't read to much about it as to avoid spoilers, but Boba Fett is there and fighting other bounty hunters, so they have to try really hard to make that suck.

20210817_082458.thumb.jpg.88d69791356a4381685d23b8ce3e67b8.jpg

Walking Dead: Here's Negan and Walking Dead: Negan Lives. Negan Lives came out last year, I think, and had a $5 cover price. That's nuts. I waited for MCS to deeply discount the issue, then picked it up on sale. Negan Lives is a story that takes place in the gap of time near the end of the full Walking Dead story. Story was good, but did the artwork get sloppier than I remember? It's been a little while since I finished the Walking Dead, so I had to go back and refresh my memory. For $2, it's worth the read.

20210818_123323.thumb.jpg.1aff462742345f17358e317fb96426e1.jpg 20210817_082449.thumb.jpg.53cd6aa710b5d840f69f7b757ed1d91a.jpg

Well, since I read Negan Lives, I had to go back and read Here's Negan, which I never got around to reading. It's his origin story, which I really enjoyed, for the most part. I thought the build up to the climax was great, but the end (the "turn" in him) was way too fast, I think. I don't want to put any spoilers here, but as I was reading the first few pages and you learn his occupation, I was thinking, "that sounds about right."

This is the compilation of the story that was serialized across 16 issues of the Image+ magazine. However...

Gimli.jpg.aeede85afc35141389b29dbc048a56be.jpg

On 8/14/2021 at 3:02 PM, JWKyle said:

Count: 75

G.I Joe : A real American hero (marvel) 1-75

Some Spoilers

I know I'm getting a late start but with just under 4 months left to go i'm going to give it a try. I've read alot of new releases this year from Marvel but I'm not going to count any of that. I have had a refocusing on my collecting and reading addiction. With that being said I have started with a new focus in reading :

1-10 are ok I don't think Larry Hama was quite hitting his stride yet, alot a characters were introduced and the foundation was put in place.

Somewhere in the mid teen issues they start hitting on all cyclinders. In the 20's you get issue 21 the classic you get some Snake eyes and Storm shadow origins Zartan becomes a Major player. I'm not going to touch on too much spoilers but DR. Vemon is killed and replaced with a better version DR. Mindbender. Serpentor is "made" and is pretty great. Cobra makes a Nation and tons of other crazy stuff is happening. Cobra commander is replaced by "Fred". The comics are so much better then the original cartoons. :cloud9:

11-33 is the crux of that run, in my opinion, and those are classic comics.  Larry Hama was having fun with that series, and it shows.

Those were a blast to read as they were coming out.  (My first issue was 21, and I've since collected back to 1.)

On 8/25/2021 at 2:21 PM, Savoyard23 said:

11-33 is the crux of that run, in my opinion, and those are classic comics.  Larry Hama was having fun with that series, and it shows.

Those were a blast to read as they were coming out.  (My first issue was 21, and I've since collected back to 1.)

I havent made it offical yet I want to finish the marvel run reading wise but the real cobra commander just kicked a dog. The man is a true villian.

te.jpg

On 8/17/2021 at 10:31 PM, ttfitz said:

So, another week in the record books, which brings us to 564.

Week 3 of the 100 Back Issues a Week Challenge. Here's the week's report:

Thor 374-382
Ragnarok 1-12
Ragnarok Breaking of Helheim 1-6

Continuing with my "Walt Simonson is the King of Norse stuff" reading, lots of good stuff here. Well worth the read if you haven't already.

Wonder Woman 189 - 194

This one gets me a two-fer in my Baltimore ComicCon Guest theme - written by Simonson, art by Jerry Ordway. Didn't care for the haircut, but enjoyed the story.

Paper Girls 21-30

Brian K. Vaughan is swiftly joining Waid on my list of "read whatever he wants me to" people. So much goodness in this series. If you like time-travel done right, this is the book for you. And speaking of Waid...

Insufferable 1-8
Insufferable On the Road 1-6
Insufferable Home Field Advantage 1-4

These were worthwhile if for no other reason, his description of the genesis of the series.

Captain Kid 1-5

Felt like this ended a bit abruptly, I'll be asking him if this one was canceled before its time or not.

Superman Birthright 1-12

Leave it to Waid to cover the well worn story of Superman's start, and still produce an entertaining take on the story.

Waid's Green Hornet 1-2

I finished this for the next week, I'll talk more then.

Gotham Girls 1-5

Writer Paul Storrie is an online pal o' mine from long ago, and we always enjoy talking to him at the show. This was a fun take on the animated series versions of all the title characters, and worth reading.

The Boys 15-18
Goddess 1-8

More Ennis goodness, with a couple decades in between.

Hawken 1-3

Beginning to get into my favorite artist of all time, Tim Truman. This one comes from Tim and his son Ben, and provides more of what the man is famous for.

Okay, so that's it for now - no time for long reviews, 100 comics in a week is hard.

Running count now... 664.

490 comics so far this year.

I completed Exiles: Ultimate Collection volumes 2-3. I read the first volume last year, and it was tough to find some of these TPBs at a reasonable price. With a few exceptions, these stories are incredible. The writing and interaction between the characters is fantastic. The Hyperion storyline was a standout for me, but the team dynamics between mostly interesting "what if" scenarios is great.

20210820_213226.thumb.jpg.c7cc17f859dfbe27e28fb8b3f208fb8f.jpg 20210827_204858.thumb.jpg.8aeb545b384bf01889d48636b6360102.jpg

Hi guys im updating as well! Assassins Creed Valhalla has taken up 110+ hours, that why I haven't been reading as much! 

Also my cousin is letting go of his small collection that contains some awesome reading (complete runs of good stories in tpb form) if you need more reading material!

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/496108-tpb-sets-runs-batman-sandman-and-more/

Also here my updated list

234-260

Dept.H 1-24 Good story! The pitch is..."Murder Six Miles Deep." I liked the story a a lot.

Mens Adventure 24 (1.0) This had a really good revenge story (cover story) Against a Nazi, Plus the other stories were will done. This is the first of this series I have. I found it because someone in the recent pre code thread got one and said it was good.

Heroes Union 1 I really enjoyed the "throw back" art and story! This is also a follow boardies comic company. @Sitcomics

D40CB76F-FDB5-438A-B097-1ED8CD11935C.jpeg

Scan 2021-8-19 21.51.43.jpg

image.thumb.jpg.a6b7e7060910d6d4ed6da3fea3efa69c.jpg

Edited by Raze

Summer (June / July / August) Count:

Comics: 130

Basketful of Heads # 1 - 7

Beasts of Burden - Occupied Territory # 3 - 4

Bitter Root # 13 - 14

Black Bolt # 1 - 12

By Night # 1 - 4

Champions (2016) # 1 - 11

Chariot # 2 - 4

Civil War II # 5 - 8

Compass # 1

Durango Kid # 3

Fire Power # 12 - 13

GotG (2020) # 11 - 12

Gung-ho # 1 - 7

Iron Man (2020) # 6 - 7

Kill Whitey Donovan # 1 - 5

Killadelphia # 13 - 14

Lost Soldiers # 1 - 5

Magnificent Ms. Marvel # 17 - 18

Mamo # 1

Miles Morales # 23 - 24

Monstress # 33 - 35

Nighthawk (2016) # 5 - 6

November # 1

Ordinary Gods # 1

Our Gang # 36

Rangers of the Divide # 1 - 2

Sabrina the Teenage Witch # 1 - 5

Sera and the Royal Stars # 10

Serial # 4 - 5

Seven Swords # 1

Something is killing the children # 1 - 10

The Black Monday Murders # 1 - 8

The Doll House Family # 1 - 6

The Godddamned - Virgin Brides # 5

The Last Witch # 2 -5

The Old Guard - Tales through time # 2 - 3

Two Moons # 4 - 5

European Albums: 27 @ 2 each = 54

Jack Wolfgang - 2

Jeremiah - 10

Karmen

La jeunesse de Thorgal - 4 - 8

La Quete de l'Oiseau du Temps - 1 - 4

L'etoile du desert - 1 - 2

Novikov - 1 - 2

Pin-Up - 6 - 10

Shi - 2

Theodore Poussin - 2

Yoko Tsuno - 14 - 15

Manga: 47 @ 5 each = 235

Akame ga Kill! Zero - 9 - 10

Akame ga Kill! - 1 - 3

Beyond the clouds - 1

BL Metamorphosis - 4

Blood on the tracks - 4

Blue Flag - 6

Blue Giant - 1

Chobits - 1 - 3

Flying Witch - 1 

Golden Kamuy - 20

Haikyu!! - 42 - 43

Heaven's Design Team - 3

How heavy are the dumbbells you lift - 5

King of Eden  - 1

No Guns' Life - 9

Pluto - 3

Quintessential Quintuplets - 12

Sayonara Football - 3

Those Not-so-sweet Boys - 1 - 3

Weathering with You - 3

Witch Hat Atelier - 7

Yowamushi Pedal - 11 - 16

Zoom 100 - 1

Collections: 18

Remina by Junji Ito @ 8

Lovesickness by Junji Ito @ 5

Shackleton - Antarctic Odyssey @ 5

That's a total of 437 for Summer.

January - 219

February - 243

March - 268

April - 114

May - 177

Summer - 437

------------------

Total - 1,458

Best Read: Black Monday Murders - great combination of story-telling and art with an intrigue that held together and made you to learn more. A comic that could have been longer and a universe that one would love to return to.

Book I did not know I needed: a toss-up between Basketful of heads and Something is killing the children. Both are Horror books really well done.

Sweetest read of the summer: Those Not-so-Sweet Boys. Romantic manga well executed without teenage silliness of not saying / not telling and aching. The characters interact naturally and there is no meanness in evidence. A pleasant read all around.

Books I should have read a long time ago: La Quete de l'Oiseau du Temps. A classic that didn't attract me way back in the '90's when it became really popular. I finally read it and quickly became immersed in the story and the characters and of course the art and universe created.

Switchover: now that Haikyu!! (Volleyball) is almost over (# 45 is the last volume), Yowamushi Pedal (road bicycle racing) takes over as my running sports manga. It takes almost one volume to cover 200 meters of one race at the finish line lol

Quick takes: Enjoyed Lovesickness a lot more than I did Remina by Junji Ito ... The Goddamned art always knocks my socks off ... King of Eden starts really well. The writer is the co-writer for most of Urasawa 's work. The art also looks influenced by Urasawa ... Blood on the track is a depressing read and I always fear what's going to happen next; a feeling not that different from reading Goodnight PunPun by Asano ... Glad I followed iFanBoy's advice and read Karmen ... Was happy to read The Doll House's Family. I've been a fan of the Carey / Gross team for a long time ... November by Fraction :sick: 

Edited by Scrooge

On 9/1/2021 at 9:18 AM, Scrooge said:

Book I did not know I needed: a toss-up between Basketful of heads and Something is killing the children. Both are Horror books really well done.

I've been enjoying Something Is Killing the Children, too. Recommended to me by a fellow customer at my local shop, not my usual sort of thing but well done.

On 8/26/2021 at 4:21 PM, ttfitz said:

Running count now... 664.

I sure thought I posted week 4, but I don't see it here, so I guess I'll have to double up here....

Week 4 of the 100 Back Issues a Week Challenge:

Waid's Green Hornet 3-13

As with everything Mark Waid does, he does a great job capturing the whole Green Hornet vibe. I've read a number of the recent takes on the character, and this just barely edges out the Kevin Smith one for my favorite.

Stan Lee's The Traveler 1-12

Really enjoyed this one, too - unfortunately for Waid I also read Paper Girls this month, so it's not my favorite time traveler story I've read recently, but still a fine read. Be interested to find out how much was Stan Lee and how much was Mark Waid.

The Boys 19-29

Continuing with this from Garth Ennis, and I can see why the show has been so popular. Lots of fun stuff.

Hawken 4-6

Tim Truman is by far my favorite artist, and this is some fine work on his behalf. The story was okay, but not as good as...

Scout 1-7

Still early in the series, but a good start.

Jonah Hex Two Gun Mojo 1-5
Jonah Hex Riders of the Worm 1-5
Jonah Hex Shadows West 1-3

These three from the great team of Lansdale and Truman. The first was fabulous, the second great, the third merely very good. Even the Truman art in the last one wasn't quite up to his standards, I didn't think. Still enjoyed it, though.

JLA Gatekeeper 1-3

Another from Truman, I was unfamiliar with the continuity leading up to it, but still a good read.

The Shadow: Blood & Judgment 1-4

The second Howard Chaykin Shadow story I've read recently, spread 30+ years apart. I think the more recent one was better, but I enjoyed this one, too.

Orion 1-25

Had enough of Walt Simonson's Norse mythology work, so went with a little New Gods mythology. Never got into the Fourth World stuff in general, but he made it work for me.

The Dark Knight Returns 1-4

Looking to spread out some from my Baltimore guest list so far, went with some Frank Miller, rereading the first two Dark Knight titles, and going on to the third.

Man of Steel TPB

A little more Bendis for me, thought it wouldn't be so much a part of the ongoing continuity (which I haven't kept up on from before New 52), but I was still able to keep up enough to make it worth the read.

So there we have another 100 issues down, so ...

AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY GO!

Week 5, will our hero make the final week's worth of 100 back issue, or will he flame out??? I don't know about you, but I'm on the edge of my seat!

The Mighty 1-12

I had read the first 8 or 9 issues of this Peter Tomasi series when it first came out, but somehow never finished. A really interesting take on the basic Superman story.

Scout 8-24
Lone Ranger and Tonto 1-4
Guns of the Dragon 1-4

More Tim Truman goodness, what can I say that hasn't already been said?

Dark Knight Strikes Again 1-3
Dark Knight Master Race 1-9

Neither one of these really grabbed me that much. I think I was mostly done with the world of the Dark Knight with the original series, and even more so after the follow up. Too much about the titled Master Race that didn't fit with my idea of them to make it work as written.

The Boys 30-47
The Boys Herogasm 1-6
The Boys Highland Laddie 1-6

Just read it, you'll be glad you did. I laughed, I cried, I had to stop because I was too far ahead of my son.

American Flagg 1-12

I like Chaykin in general, but this just never grabbed me. I  had the usual "what the heck is going on?" at the beginning that affects so many dystopian future stories, then thought I had gotten straightened out in the middle, to being confused again ("Wait, who is that guy again? And which side is he on?") by the end. This was all that was available on Hoopla, and I was kinda glad it was when I finished.

Shadow of the Bat 14,15
Batman & Robin Adventures 18-22,Ann 2

Looking for works by other Baltimore guests so I wouldn't get too far ahead of my daughter (reading Scout) and my son (The Boys), I found these few issues of Joe Staton artwork that I hadn't already read. Shadow of the Bat was a fairly typical post-Crisis Batman story, and the B&R Adventures just good clean animated series universe fun.

Well, don't know if you were keeping count, but that's the final 100 issues! Made it just under the wire, with a little late night reading on Sunday after returning home from the VA Tech home opener (GO HOKIES!). While it is fun during the Challenge, it's always good to finish and get back to a more normal life.

So with those 200 issues under the belt, the year's total stands at ... 864.

On 9/6/2021 at 11:54 PM, ttfitz said:

American Flagg 1-12

I like Chaykin in general, but this just never grabbed me. I  had the usual "what the heck is going on?" at the beginning that affects so many dystopian future stories, then thought I had gotten straightened out in the middle, to being confused again ("Wait, who is that guy again? And which side is he on?") by the end. This was all that was available on Hoopla, and I was kinda glad it was when I finished.

Been tempted every 5 years of so to try this ... but always stop short of doing it. Your comments are in line with why I never go with it. I like the idea of Chaykin but I never commit. Thanks for the update.

I'm up to 546 comics this year. I haven't been posting them all, as they've all been Exiles or Age of Apocalypse related recently. I just finished the last Exiles Ultimate Collection. I really enjoyed this series for the most part, but the ending was a little disappointing. It includes X-Men: Die by the Sword (2007) #1-5, which was a complete disaster. I looked it up after, and that mini-series was intended to close out New Excalibur and Exiles, then relaunch them. It was such a nonsensical disaster that really led to a less than ideal ending to the main series. But overall, it was a really good series. I have a few related crossovers to read to wrap it up.

Exiles.png

On 9/7/2021 at 4:54 AM, ttfitz said:

American Flagg 1-12

I read it last year as a digital collection, same run.  Interesting dystopian world building in the first few issues, but then loses momentum after the first story arc and becomes quite run-of-the-mill storywise, and poorly developed.

Nothing that special, although you can see some of the graphical layout and tone as an influence on Miller’s DKR.

Disappointing, and overrated.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 9/6/2021 at 11:54 PM, ttfitz said:

the year's total stands at ... 864.

Okay, past the 100 issues a week thing, something more reasonable for this update.

Dark Knight Returns: The Last Crusade
Dark Knight Returns: The Golden Child

Finishing off the Dark Knight Returns books (I think?), and much like the previous ones, didn't really care much for these two.

The Unknown 1-4
The Unknown: The Devil Made Flesh 1-4

My son had the hardcover of the first series that I gave him, and he decided for his out on the patio reading it would be less of a problem with passersby than The Boys: Herogasmlol I agreed. So even though I've read a ton of Mark Waid stuff recently, I read the first to catch up to my son, and then the second because I enjoyed the first. Not much to say more than my usual statement of "If Mark Waid wrote it, you should read it." It seemed like more story might be out there, but given it's been over a decade, there probably won't be, which is a shame. I'll be sure to ask Waid in Baltimore.

Black Hammer Visions 6-7

My feeling on this series has been that it's hit or miss. These two pretty much were hits. I mean, how can you go wrong with my favorite Black Hammer "villain" Cthu-Lou the Plumber?

Star Trek Waypoint Special #1 and "One-Shot."

Some decent tales, nothing great, but worth the read.

So let's count 'em up, looks like... 14 new ones, so that makes the new total 878.

169 to 193

Wonder Woman by George Perez vols 1 and 2

Containing Wonder Woman issues 1 to 24 and Annual 1

(25 issues in total)

I'd forgotten how good this 80s series is.  Consistent, quality stories from Perez and Len Wein throughout, great artwork from Perez.  Recommended. One of the best post-Crisis reboots.

Edited by Ken Aldred