• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2021
5 5

385 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2021 at 1:19 AM, ttfitz said:

Sorry to hear this about B&G, I was really looking forward to this.

Hey, you may dig it, so don't let me dissuade you from trying it out. The big news is that Kevin Maguire is apparently coming onboard for art duties, so that's at least something to look forward to. I think my biggest gripe is that it feels very...Dan Jurgensy, you know? Middle of the road, kinda dull, and what really grates is the ongoing concept that we are looking at the comments posted by "fans" watching Booster's live stream. It definitely smells of "middle aged guy tries to capture the zeitgeist." You mileage may vary. I'm still buying it simply because it exists, gotta support my boys. But I'm hoping it gets better.

I haven’t read Blue and Gold yet, but I have been impressed by Ryan Sook’s artwork previously. Maguire’s great as well.

264 to 281

Constantine City of Demons 1 to 5

Average, slightly confusing scene transitions and pacing at times.  Not Sean Murphy's best art, either.

Constantine: Futures End one-shot

Good story in which he faces off against Dr Fate.

and

John Constantine Hellblazer (2019) 1 to 12

Anyone who claims that 'all modern comics are rubbish' should read this masterpiece and shut up.  One of the best comic series I've ever read, with a writer who gets the character to perfection, and great artwork. A classic status horror comic.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I'm up to 568 this year. My reading definitely slowed down as work and side projects took up more time. Plus I've been reading an omni, which slows me down. But I don't count the omni until I'm all done. Finished these 3 TPBs while I was on the road. Maestro: War and Pax was an entertaining read and a nice continuation from the previous series (Symphony in Gamma Key). Marvels Eye of the Camera was a fantastic continuation of the original Marvels series and provided a great ending to the series. Shi no Kage (from Blackbox Comics) was a bit tough to track down, but it's a fun samurai story with lots of action.

20211207_125327.jpg

Previous update - 973. Let's catch up.....

David Lapham's Young Liars #13-18

Had hoped this would all make sense by the end. It didn't. Still a good read.

Tom Strong and the Robots of Doom #1-6

Peter Hogan's work on Tom Strong is not as good as Alan Moore, but I enjoyed this one more than the mini-series I read before.

Black Hammer Reborn #1-5

Getting into this more than some of the mini-series in the Black Hammer universe that I have read recently. Interested to see where this might go.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen #1-6

Read this years ago when it came out, and thought I would reread before tackling Volume 2. As I remembered, a great deal of fun, figuring out where all the characters large and small came from.

Okay, so it looks like I am sitting on a year-to-date total of ... 996.

I do believe I will make 1000 by the end of the year. Woohoo!

On 12/11/2021 at 5:37 PM, srezvan said:

Marvels Eye of the Camera was a fantastic continuation of the original Marvels series and provided a great ending to the series.

Agreed (although they produced another issue later, and there is one going now lol). Read this myself in November and really enjoyed it. That Busiek fellow may have a future in this business.

On 12/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, ttfitz said:

Agreed (although they produced another issue later, and there is one going now lol). Read this myself in November and really enjoyed it. That Busiek fellow may have a future in this business.

there's another one? doh! I just looked it up on MCS. Looks like an ongoing series. I added it to my watch list and I'll likely check out the first TPB. Thanks for the tip. I loved Marvels Epilogue - the X-Men and Sentinels in NY was a great recreation.

On 12/11/2021 at 7:12 PM, srezvan said:

there's another one? doh! I just looked it up on MCS. Looks like an ongoing series. I added it to my watch list and I'll likely check out the first TPB. Thanks for the tip. I loved Marvels Epilogue - the X-Men and Sentinels in NY was a great recreation.

Yep, latest issue came out a couple weeks ago. I've been buying, but haven't read any yet. Agreed on Epilogue.

On 12/22/2021 at 7:32 AM, ttfitz said:

996 at last count, let's finish up the year:

Gun Honey #4

I really enjoyed this series, and am going to take a look at some of the other Hard Cases minis I skipped over before.

Black Hammer Reborn #6

Like most of the best Black Hammer books, this series has felt like familiar territory but also a new look. Recommended so far.

Friday #1

An interesting premise, making a series available online, for whatever you are willing to pay (http://panelsyndicate.com/comics/friday). Ed Brubaker is a favorite of mine, but I had missed this due to the online only (originally) nature of it. Picked up this "Local Comic Shop Exclusive" to give a look, and think I will look at the online versions of 2-3.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Vol 2 #1-6

Not quite as good as the original series, but still a worthwhile read.

Okay, I'm thinking this is likely my last update for the year, too much else going on to have time to pull out additional books to read. But if I have done the math correctly, this gets me to a year end total of...

1005!!!

Wooohooo! ^^:highfive::yeehaw::banana::headbang:

See you next year!

Congrats my friend. That is awesome