• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not charging until grading now, saw in the email.
1 1

61 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Sawwed said:

Terribly done how you gonna increase the prices so much after a few months? 75+7 per card with subgrades for walkthrough absolutely insane they are going to lose a lot of customers for this... their cards have not fully reached the value of psa an bgs it was getting there slowly but this is just going to push everyone away.

Sending in 1st Ed Dark Zard today. What's an extra $32 when you're talking about a $1000+ card. If they're willing to pay a grand, they'll be willing to pay an extra $32. I can afford the +$32 increase because the card is valuable. That's what walkthrough is for, high end cards. Send the $3-500 cards in through express. Anything lower through whatever. The point is to turn people to the actual tier the cards should be at, not sending $200 cards through WK. I don't want to wait three weeks because everyone is using WK for cards that aren't worth it like BGS.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:57 PM, ShiningCollectibles said:

I think the price increases and wait times are rather sad. I understand they are getting busy nowadays but increasing the prices will push many people away. This was the one company we were hoping not to see that from. Two price increases within 8 months. (What is the point in using the newer company now?) You are charging more than BGS for sub grades in bulk (9 + 7 = 16) that is absolutely bonkers. Some people also like getting charged instant so they don't have to magically hope theirs money still in their account.

I agree. I would prefer being charged instantly so that I don't have to worry about being randomly charged down the road.

On 1/28/2021 at 9:09 PM, Reg526 said:

That's not what's happening at all psa/bgs did the same and they're still 6-9 month turnaround. It doesn't dissuade people from submitting cards only digs into the profit of bulk resellers while draining collectors further and ultimately lowers the value gained by grading cards.

Don't sell your graded cards for cheap. Do what Wallstreetbets is doing. Hold a strong price until the buyers are forced to pay up for your extra work.

On 1/29/2021 at 2:32 PM, Reg526 said:

So how exactly does cgc address this differently to prevent the "Industry Issue" from bogging them down? Oh they took the same approach that doesn't work.

Correct. So why use the company that's going to bring less value to you if they're going to ultimately end up in the same boat..? What value does CGC bring over the competitors other than early turnaround times being lower?

Sooo what value do those have other than having slightly lower turnaround times to flip your sick nasty zard pulls before everyone else?

Once again you have fastest confused with smaller backlog. They're only "Fastest" because they have less people utilizing their service and they've already shown to be getting backlogged and they took the same approach as their competitors that did not work to the issue. So I ask again, then what value does it bring to use cgc? They're already at 3 month turnaround times for bulk and growing.

It remains to be seen how CGC will adapt on their way to a PSA backlog. Probably poorly, but maybe they will surprise us.

2 hours ago, Dom Fonce said:

It remains to be seen how CGC will adapt on their way to a PSA backlog. Probably poorly, but maybe they will surprise us.

CGC doesnt not have the same market share as PSA and BGS. They only deal with Pokemon, MTG and Comics. They dont deal with sports cards, sports memorabilia, non TCG cards, misc TCG's, autographs, etc. 

It logistically cant ever be the same thing. Especially when 80% of what BGS and PSA deals with is mostly sports related stuff. Pokemon is not even their biggest priority and probably wont ever be since they have mostly been focused on sports since their inception.

On 1/29/2021 at 9:29 PM, Sawwed said:

Terribly done how you gonna increase the prices so much after a few months? 75+7 per card with subgrades for walkthrough absolutely insane they are going to lose a lot of customers for this... their cards have not fully reached the value of psa an bgs it was getting there slowly but this is just going to push everyone away.

The walkthrough is the one area I think the increase was done poorly. I totally understand increasing prices to weed out massive bulk submissions by flippers. If it made sense to grade in bulk with subs at $13, but not at $16, the card may not warrant grading in the first place. But changing walkthrough price to $75 is a bit heavy, especially when it costs nearly the same or less to grade it express at PSA and may only take an extra week or so to get back to you.

Not 100% sure why they made that change but I have never used walkthrough so it doesn't really effect me at all lol, just constructive criticism more than anything.

• Administrator
17 hours ago, DB Cards said:

The walkthrough is the one area I think the increase was done poorly. I totally understand increasing prices to weed out massive bulk submissions by flippers. If it made sense to grade in bulk with subs at $13, but not at $16, the card may not warrant grading in the first place. But changing walkthrough price to $75 is a bit heavy, especially when it costs nearly the same or less to grade it express at PSA and may only take an extra week or so to get back to you.

Not 100% sure why they made that change but I have never used walkthrough so it doesn't really effect me at all lol, just constructive criticism more than anything.

Please do note that our Walkthrough tier is going to be $75 flat for an unlimited value of card. The CGC-graded Test Print Blastoise cost the submitter $50 to grade. If the same card were submitted to PSA at the valuation it sold for of $360,000, it would cost $5,000, 100 times as much.

Paul

1 hour ago, PaulS. said:

Please do note that our Walkthrough tier is going to be $75 flat for an unlimited value of card. The CGC-graded Test Print Blastoise cost the submitter $50 to grade. If the same card were submitted to PSA at the valuation it sold for of $360,000, it would cost $5,000, 100 times as much.

Paul

Yeah this is very important to note.  While I may never have a card in my possession of that value having that option in a company I do currently trust is great.  $75 is on par with other companies.  The only reason I have ever even used walk though is for higher valued cards but also to get them back ASAP.  This might very slightly bump up the value mark of what I determine worth it at that price to send but not by much. 

2 hours ago, PaulS. said:

Paul

This is a fair point, and the Test-Print Blastoise was an awesome story that I recognize CGC's value in. However, the amount of people sending in cards worth more than the $2500 limit at PSA's express level is likely not high. The main use case of walkthrough (in my opinion) is to get new ultra-modern cards graded and on the market quickly. I don't know your stats (obviously), and I'm just some random dude on the internet, but if I were working at CGC I would keep an eye on the amount the walkthrough orders decrease after the price change.

If this thread has taught me anything, very few of you would be my choice to go into business running a card grading outfit. CGC knows where the trends are. If they are raising prices, again, and moving turnaround times, again, it's clear they are pushing the lever to smooth out the flow of submissions and to get folks to grade cards in the right tier without having to manage it that much. There's still insane value to be had at these prices, PLUS you get your cards turned around faster at the Bulk/Standard level by a factor of 3x (or more). I imagine CGC is also tracking the fact that their market sales on eBay and the like are picking up velocity; both in number of cards moving AND in value relative to same-grade PSA/BGS. 

Boy, I am glad they are going to charge later in the process, though.  I'm prepping a new bulk submission and will hold it a couple weeks, just based on that news alone.

3 hours ago, DB Cards said:

This is a fair point, and the Test-Print Blastoise was an awesome story that I recognize CGC's value in. However, the amount of people sending in cards worth more than the $2500 limit at PSA's express level is likely not high. The main use case of walkthrough (in my opinion) is to get new ultra-modern cards graded and on the market quickly. I don't know your stats (obviously), and I'm just some random dude on the internet, but if I were working at CGC I would keep an eye on the amount the walkthrough orders decrease after the price change.

Lots of expensive stuff goes through PSA since again, they arent just Pokemon, MTG and Comics. Lots of people here seem to not pay attention to the sports card industry at the moment since it kinda makes Pokemon look like a joke in comparison lol. Lots of modern sports cards are hitting the types of money that we see in 1st ed base set minus Charizard. Modern stuff, as in stuff from only the last few years. Plus all the memorabilia they deal with, auto graphs, and lots of other stuff, thats the reason why PSA is so expensive and backed up. 80% of PSA and BGA's market share is all sports. Pokemon is like a drop in the bucket to them.

All the price increases will be fine IMO. I dont see a few bucks breaking the bank as long as you know what your doing. As long as your not trying to rush to grade newer stuff then I see it barely making a difference in resale profits.

39 minutes ago, mattyzeepgam said:

Lots of expensive stuff goes through PSA since again, they arent just Pokemon, MTG and Comics. Lots of people here seem to not pay attention to the sports card industry at the moment since it kinda makes Pokemon look like a joke in comparison lol. Lots of modern sports cards are hitting the types of money that we see in 1st ed base set minus Charizard. Modern stuff, as in stuff from only the last few years. Plus all the memorabilia they deal with, auto graphs, and lots of other stuff, thats the reason why PSA is so expensive and backed up. 80% of PSA and BGA's market share is all sports. Pokemon is like a drop in the bucket to them.

All the price increases will be fine IMO. I dont see a few bucks breaking the bank as long as you know what your doing. As long as your not trying to rush to grade newer stuff then I see it barely making a difference in resale profits.

Mantle rookie, gretzky rookie all that. Collectible cards as a whole have exploded beyond anything before.

7 hours ago, Yeahiwasder4dat said:

Mantle rookie, gretzky rookie all that. Collectible cards as a whole have exploded beyond anything before.

I was mainly talking about the new inserts of these modern cards like the Lukas, the Zions and the Mahomes. Yeah the rookie stuff has went up but the pricing on these new guys going for 6 figures is nuts when these cards are not even half a decade old. The whole # insert thing is crazy. Kind of surprised it hasnt happened in the gaming world.

And surprisingly, its mostly only Pokemon and some of the major Sports thats doing well. I been going to Walmarts to see if they got any of the new packs since they been going for a decent amount online and the shelves have tons of MTG and Yugioh. No Pokemon at most places or NBA or NFL, but plenty of the other 2 games along with Nascar, NHL and WWE. 

4 hours ago, mattyzeepgam said:

I was mainly talking about the new inserts of these modern cards like the Lukas, the Zions and the Mahomes. Yeah the rookie stuff has went up but the pricing on these new guys going for 6 figures is nuts when these cards are not even half a decade old. The whole # insert thing is crazy. Kind of surprised it hasnt happened in the gaming world.

And surprisingly, its mostly only Pokemon and some of the major Sports thats doing well. I been going to Walmarts to see if they got any of the new packs since they been going for a decent amount online and the shelves have tons of MTG and Yugioh. No Pokemon at most places or NBA or NFL, but plenty of the other 2 games along with Nascar, NHL and WWE. 

I'm glad about sports cards though. They were worthless for so long. My brother was born early 80s so all his cards were trash and me in the early 90s all my cards are worth zilch. I don't really collect newer stuff I but I did get a Luzardo 1/5 auto from some topps chrome stadium. Was nice to pull something worth a few hundred. You have Trout selling for insane amounts, Roberts is a hot item. Sports needed that #s.

I'm more into Mantle as it's all my father talked about when I was a kid. When he passed a few years ago it gave me a much more sentimental attachment to some of the greats like Musial, Aaron, Mays, Mantle. A lifeline to those memories I began to understand why people are so attached to some cards and willing to pay small fortunes if they have it.

I haven't seen pokemon in a store since after Thanksgiving. Either you go to the same stores as me or that's what it looks like nation wide because you just described it perfectly. Hockey cards, wwe and mtg out the butt. Absolutely nothing on pokemon cards. Like the vendor hasn't been to any store near me in over 2 months.

On 1/29/2021 at 11:20 AM, Angel of Death said:

I don't work for CGC-TCG, so I can't speak for them but, they may need the capital prior to on-boarding. That would be a reasonable explanation as to the price hikes.

Also, unlike most businesses, card grading companies can't staff in a similar fashion. You have to understaff for the surge and overstaff for the slow days. You can't hire 20 new people because it's in a surge, lay them off after a month when it gets slow, hire them back two weeks later when it's booming. Judging the appropriate middle ground number of employees to have on hand is probably pretty difficult.