• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Eniac, how do we feel about this methodology?
1 1

326 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, awakeintheashes said:

I just stopped by the store I got the sticker at to check out some of the new releases they got in today, and look at what was sitting on the counter in the Bad Idea display for cover price...

IMG_9642.thumb.JPG.7a21c7b92977e82f7558d16b0bd455b0.JPG

That is impressive, kudos to them for not jacking up the price simply because they could!

2 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

That is impressive, kudos to them for not jacking up the price simply because they could!

Indeed, and this was a store that didn't get any first prints that I'm aware of. The store was in the second wave of new stores, so the only Eniacs they received were NFPs and those arrived weeks later. No idea where this one came from. It hasn't been there on my previous weekly visits.

Edited by awakeintheashes

Just now, awakeintheashes said:

Indeed, and this was a store that didn't get any first prints that I'm aware of. The store was in the second wave of new stores, so the only Eniacs they received were NFPs and arrived weeks later. No idea where this one came from. It hasn't been there on my previous weekly visits.

Maybe "damage" replacements that went unclaimed and so they sent them out to stores that did not receive any in the initial wave?

4 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Maybe "damage" replacements that went unclaimed and so they sent them out to stores that did not receive any in the initial wave?

Could be. I'm there at least once a week, so it must have arrived this week.

From my experiences with the store they are not the type that would mark it up and throw it on the wall, even though they are well within their right to do so. In fact, their back issues are priced so fair that I could spend hours digging through books, but I'm usually there between meetings during the week or with my son on the weekends so it's time I don't have. It's probably why they've been in business for so long, turning over inventory and providing a welcoming environment to people new to the hobby.

1 minute ago, awakeintheashes said:

From my experiences with the store they are not the type that would mark it up and throw it on the wall, even though they are well within their right to do so. In fact, their back issues are priced so fair that I could spend hours digging through books, but I'm usually there between meetings during the week or with my son on the weekends so it's time I don't have. It's probably why they've been in business for so long, turning over inventory and providing a welcoming environment to people new to the hobby.

Where I live those kind of shops do not exist anymore and the very few stores left nickel and dime you.

16 minutes ago, awakeintheashes said:

My LCS is a non-profit, they are all about child literacy.  I brought one of my stepsons tonight that is not normally with me on comic days.  They asked him about who his fav hero(s) were.  Out the owners come with random books from last year and earlier, including the UF4 Halloween-Fest FCBD reprint.  All their back issues are below ebay, unless it is something new and then they try to keep it either close to ebay (to combat the scalpers) unless you are a regular and they know what you are into.  They actually surprised me this week with one of the Marvel Series One cards someone brought in, they gave it to me.  It was Thanos.  I spend on average at least 2hrs in there talking with them every Wednesday about the current week's books.

It sounds like I would also love your shop.

Apparently "how we feel" about Bad Idea's odd distribution methodology is ... that it was not successful. They'll be ceasing operations around the end of the year.  

I'll grant that they did put out some good quality books. But the market isn't extremely generous to physical-comic companies right now. And the purchase restrictions and "club" approach to letting stores carry their books cannot possibly have helped them.

I received my Eniac #4 and Tankers #2 today, quick shipping as I have been receiving (considering it is going 1500-ish miles) them in 2 days. 

But they bagged and boarded them both together and it is so tight I am going to have to cut the bag to get them out and re-bag/board them. lol

1 hour ago, Crops068 said:

I received my Eniac #4 and Tankers #2 today, quick shipping as I have been receiving (considering it is going 1500-ish miles) them in 2 days. 

But they bagged and boarded them both together and it is so tight I am going to have to cut the bag to get them out and re-bag/board them. lol

I just found out that the 5 bundles I purchased back in February of issues 1 through 4 are finally on the way! Of course at that time I had no idea all the drama this comic book series would be a part of.  Question now will be how good of shape the five number ones will be in because it would not surprise me if all the high grade issues were not set aside for those who ordered the bundle. However it turns out I can't complain since a bundle of four was only 15 bucks so $89 for 20 issues shipped total.

1 minute ago, CHASEnBLUE said:

I just found out that the 5 bundles I purchased back in February of issues 1 through 4 are finally on the way! Of course at that time I had no idea all the drama this comic book series would be a part of.  Question now will be how good of shape the five number ones will be in because it would not surprise me if all the high grade issues were not set aside for those who ordered the bundle. However it turns out I can't complain since a bundle of four was only 15 bucks so $89 for 20 issues shipped total.

I pre-ordered mine in batches.  I have not gone "all in" like the others have.

8 hours ago, Crops068 said:

I ordered from TFAW still no shipment for Eniac 4

2 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

It’ll come. They are behind and are full of excuses for why they are behind. They’ve got a lot of issues lately…I received a shipment from them a couple weeks ago where they shorted me 50 books. I was charged for the books and they were listed on the packing slip…but no books. Also, the delayed shipments cause them to bundle your pre-orders into one large shipment…but forget about getting a combined shipping discount for that.

Your order will likely ship next week. I’ve cut all my preorders with them except for the Bad Idea books. I don’t know what’s really causing the issues there, but I don’t feel like wasting more money to find out. 

23 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Oh I had my shipping notice on Tuesday and then official “it shipped” on Wednesday.  
The shop (ThirdEye) has replied and explained what happened, also letting me know if any damage happens while getting them out to let them know and they will replace them.

To say I am incredibly impressed with this shop is an understatement.  If I was still on in VA, I would drive to get books from them in Richmond or even Maryland.

5 hours ago, Mirkinator said:

Just finished up the series with #4. Final issue wrapped up the story nicely and overall this was an excellent comic. 

Hope to read more about Eniac someday.

I guess once the series is finished it’s over, no reprints, no trade paperbacks, no digital. I wonder if the creators care that it will disappear like that. Is bad idea looking to get their properties optioned at all?

3 hours ago, BrooksR said:

I guess once the series is finished it’s over, no reprints, no trade paperbacks, no digital. I wonder if the creators care that it will disappear like that. Is bad idea looking to get their properties optioned at all?

Im optimistic its a lead-in for the new comic company they are evolving Bad Idea into.. And more of these stories will be seen again.

It almost feels like they were testing the waters for interest, while doing something different at the same time.  Not having to commit to huge print runs, contracts and hassles. Securing artists for limited runs and throwing a few stories out there.

Now they have shown they can produce and sell quality comics. I wonder if some new rounds of investment are coming and a changing Bad Idea “as we know it.” With this restructuring will come a new, more solid footing to distribute content. 

Maybe Eniac Vol.2 will be one of the first runs? Seems dumb to waste this IP and interest. But I of course have no idea how any of this works….

4 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

Wow and they gave u first prints! Congrats! Which company

It was brainy comics and they're located in Texas. I never bought from them before, but on the day these went on sale as I was searching I came across their site. I was really impressed on the packaging which was basically bulletproof and then the condition of course.