• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do you grade?
4 4

71 posts in this topic

1. I look in the guide and at the comic and count up defects to determine the grade
  2. I scrutinize the book like DeNiro, give it the once over real good and go "looks to me like we got an X here"

I collected comic art before I really collected comics (collecting instead of accumulating what I bought). So I was not used to grading comics when I started buying them seriously and even selling them. (I love me some big pictures when I sell! But not everything gets a grade, but I digress!) So after a few years I am fairly comfortable in my grading of older comics that I didn't buy off the rack. But I just kind of look at it and say a number off my first impression and then look for more evidence to either support or change my initial impression. Last  year I was going to one of those "nothing priced, bring it up to the register and we'll price it there" shops and he would pull out the guide and say "well, a 2 inch tear is permitted on blah blah blah but not on a blah blah blah"  and although I knew that information existed I was surprised that he basically counted up the flaws and looked it up when he was in doubt. Stunning. Evidence based conclusions!!!!

So how do you grade?

I kind of look at the over all appearance first. Noting any major defects like staining, tears and color breaks. The corners are always something I seems to overlook when I submit so thats also an important factor. Honestly though probably no formula where I add up defects to get the grade. Just look it over and go with my gut. 

5 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

As carefully as possible. When in doubt I drop it a half a grade. Problem is, I’ve been collecting for over 50 years. The bar just keeps rising it seems. Even CGC is a bit inconsistent. There are real tight periods and periods where they loosen up a bit. 

Not that I don’t love them and have quite a few real high grade books, but I have never been a mint freak. I am also a GA guy. Often, any grade is better than nothing...

With GCG current standards at the moment, I am loving books in their 5.0-8.0 range. Can get some real nice books at decent prices if I am patient. 

Agreed, a 7.0 can be a beautiful thing.

3 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

Judging from the fact that the last time I attempted a grading contest here I ended up second last - extremely badly.

Although I'm in my 50s and there's been some wear and tear, I'd grade myself around a 9.0, perhaps a gift grade 9.2.

PGX