• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Studios Hawkeye spinoff Echo coming to Disney+
2 2

130 posts in this topic

On 1/11/2024 at 2:45 PM, drotto said:

Made it!!  What a rousing endorsement.  

I think I came to viewing it with too high a bar after the Marvel Spotlight news and the reveal Kingpin and Daredevil from the Netflix show would be part of the story.

Should have kept the expectations much lower.

On 1/10/2024 at 9:39 PM, Bosco685 said:

Episode 1: It can feel a little disjointed. It's just that first episode to catch the audience up on Hawkeye (2021) while connecting to Netflix's Daredevil (2015). So it can feel like it hobbles the story.

Episode 2: It's now flowing smoother to continue the story without excessive flashbacks. And she's coming into her powers more.

I like it so far.

I liked episode 1, I thought it had lot's of layers to it.  

As you well know I'm a jaded MCU fan at this point, but I genuinely enjoyed this first episode.    And most importantly the main character works for me.   She carries off the role well, and the story line matches her own complexity.   The supporting characters, while a little on the cliche'd side, the actors bring their gravitas to their roles.    The casting director did a good job.

On 1/11/2024 at 6:18 PM, Microchip said:

I liked episode 1, I thought it had lot's of layers to it.  

As you well know I'm a jaded MCU fan at this point, but I genuinely enjoyed this first episode.    And most importantly the main character works for me.   She carries off the role well, and the story line matches her own complexity.   The supporting characters, while a little on the cliche'd side, the actors bring their gravitas to their roles.    The casting director did a good job.

Keep going

Before I watch - is Daredevil even in this?

Nobody has mentioned him.

Or is it as bad as people are hinting?

On 1/11/2024 at 6:40 PM, Beige said:

Before I watch - is Daredevil even in this?

Nobody has mentioned him.

Or is it as bad as people are hinting?

Spoiler

Episode 1 - 5-7 minutes total

On 1/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, Bosco685 said:
  Hide contents

Episode 1 - 5-7 minutes total

Jeez. Talk about misleading marketing.

Thanks mate

So, I live in right in the middle of Montana - there are lots of Natives here where I live, they travel into our city from the reservations and beyond and we have several Native employees. I've grown up with this culture around me (not necessarily immersed), so I am familiar with the overall concept of putting together an idea inspired by Native American beliefs - and I am 100% all for it.

The Pow-Wow was awesome. The entire event was really cool to watch. The dialogue, the belief structure, everything about it was really neat to see in the sense that they gave it an excellent production value and clearly spent time making sure it came across accurately.

What I did not like was adding the whole "mystical powers" element to the story. All the characters presented were strong, independent, interesting and unique on their own. Adding the "powers" part of it seemed to take away from the characters. It wasn't needed. I enjoyed that they delved into the history of her Peoples - I did not like that it somehow imbibed her with special abilities beyond her belief structure.

Native Americans have an interesting culture, a unique mindset to the world. Their beliefs can bring wisdom to those of us who aren't familiar with them. I wish they'd left the show as it was at that point - because all of those things were really great. The extra "powers" stuff just wasn't needed and while some argue that it could have added to the explanation of their beliefs, I personally think it ended up short-changing the way they were presented.

BUT, I liked the show. It was a great watch. Sure, there's things to critique, but that's with everything. The Pow Wow during the finale was worth watching on it's own, and Marvel really devoted themselves to creating a show about Native Americans that came across as special and interesting. Whether you are familiar or not with Native American culture, this show is worth watching once, and with only 5 episodes, it's a pretty easy task.

I hope Echo comes back, I hope they continue to build her up and utilize those beliefs to give the mainstream audience more interesting characters with unique backstory.

On 1/12/2024 at 2:25 PM, Dr. Balls said:

BUT, I liked the show. It was a great watch. Sure, there's things to critique, but that's with everything.

Your non-MCU critic reviewer card is revoked, sir!

:baiting:

But seriously, I started off liking it. Even had to win some friends over to get past Episode 1 as that was just meant to connect some show dots between Hawkeye and Netflix's Daredevil. But then it focused less on the dark elements it promised with the Marvel Spotlight brand and became your traditional MCU show. To include that big fight ending.

Spoiler

The three women fighting the men all of a sudden kicking in their spiritual/ancestory power with their swirly hands. Including that Kingpin eye tickle move leading to, "WHAT DID YOU DO!"

swirly_hands.gif.831c5e84be9249938051ad9dd017a342.gif

On 1/12/2024 at 4:05 PM, Bosco685 said:

Your non-MCU critic reviewer card is revoked, sir!

:baiting:

But seriously, I started off liking it. Even had to win some friends over to get past Episode 1 as that was just meant to connect some show dots between Hawkeye and Netflix's Daredevil. But then it focused less on the dark elements it promised with the Marvel Spotlight brand and became your traditional MCU show. To include that big fight ending.

Reveal hidden contents

The three women fighting the men all of a sudden kicking in their spiritual/ancestory power with their swirly hands. Including that Kingpin eye tickle move leading to, "WHAT DID YOU DO!"

swirly_hands.gif.831c5e84be9249938051ad9dd017a342.gif

lol I know, I am probably buttering everyone's bread by saying it was a great watch - but this show in particular was enjoyable for me from the culture standpoint. I would agree, it's not dark and labeling it as "mature" was more like a gimmick than an accurate classification on Marvel's part. It certainly didn't do much for the enrichment of the MCU.

I re-watched Hawkeye before watching Echo, and Hawkeye is criminally underrated (aside from the campy ending fight scene on the ice). Echo is no Hawkeye, and I think there's plenty of stuff to pick apart on it. However, I really wanted to write something positive about the cultural aspect of it, which I think Marvel did a good job of making it interesting and a little introspective. I found myself enjoying that part of the show, rather than the action (or lack thereof) that was promised in the trailers but never really materialized.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/12/2024 at 6:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I re-watched Hawkeye before watching Echo, and Hawkeye is criminally underrated (aside from the campy ending fight scene on the ice). Echo is no Hawkeye, and I think there's plenty of stuff to pick apart on it. However, I really wanted to write something positive about the cultural aspect of it, which I think Marvel did a good job of making it interesting and a little introspective. I found myself enjoying that part of the show, rather than the action (or lack thereof) that was promised in the trailers but never really materialized.

^^

I really enjoyed Hawkeye. Very well structured from dark to coming back to the light with a purpose.

Echo is not, first and foremost, a superhero show.  Get that notion out of your head.  Think of it more as a show set in the MCU.  It has more similarities to the Netflix MCU shows, no big surprise.  I enjoyed it and recommend others watch as well.  It has a good bit of action and earns the mature label, if you step back and see what happens to people in the fight scenes.  It was great to see lots of actors from one of my favorite TV shows of the past few years: Reservation Dogs.  

Echo isn't perfect and they took a good detour to finally setup her main supernatural/human power.  Overall though, I think it's well paced and a good story.  

On 1/12/2024 at 4:17 PM, Bosco685 said:

^^

I really enjoyed Hawkeye. Very well structured from dark to coming back to the light with a purpose.

I absolutely hated Hawkeye's character - until he got his show. Then, he became one of my favorites. The level of depth, struggle and normalcy they brought to his character was once of Marvel's finer efforts these past few years. The writing was excellent, and they gave the show just enough episodes to really take it's time to flesh it out and make it an A+ watch.

On 1/12/2024 at 4:21 PM, Transplant said:

Echo is not, first and foremost, a superhero show.  Get that notion out of your head.  Think of it more as a show set in the MCU.  It has more similarities to the Netflix MCU shows, no big surprise.  I enjoyed it and recommend others watch as well.  It has a good bit of action and earns the mature label, if you step back and see what happens to people in the fight scenes.  It was great to see lots of actors from one of my favorite TV shows of the past few years: Reservation Dogs.

That's a great definition. And thanks for the tip on Reservation Dogs - I'd heard a few things here or there, but never knew anyone who watched it. I'll try to track it down and give it a go.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:21 PM, Transplant said:

It was great to see lots of actors from one of my favorite TV shows of the past few years: Reservation Dogs. 

I told my wife this today as we really like that show. There were a number of those actors in Echo. To include Spirit Uncle.

image.png.162c54e8a7eff1a089db72a0d5da80c8.png

image.png.6aac7572d9f364ed72792e38ed765d40.png

image.png.e5a0b49e6a5d62cf9c96ccd497a3dbeb.png

image.png.0f0e72e3d7017743639f2f4b49b09a28.png

On 1/12/2024 at 5:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

lol I know, I am probably buttering everyone's bread by saying it was a great watch - but this show in particular was enjoyable for me from the culture standpoint.

a show about Skully as the main character would have been more interesting than what we got here

On 1/12/2024 at 5:54 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

a show about Skully as the main character would have been more interesting than what we got here

I dunno. A show about Biscuit’s backstory might have been pretty good. I get a real Tucker and Dale vibe from him.