• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Studios Hawkeye spinoff Echo coming to Disney+
2 2

130 posts in this topic

On 1/15/2024 at 4:22 PM, drotto said:

So, DD being a tease more then an appearance, and much of the first episode being recap seemed a bit disingenuous?

Hide contents

I am still trying to figure out how Kingpin survived being shot at point blank range in the eye.

Men's Health touched on this after saying the appearance we did get was quite intense (which it was).

How many Echo episodes does Daredevil appear in?

How many Echo episodes does Daredevil appear in?

Sorry Daredevil fans, you're not going to like this answer. Although Marvel teased his appearance leading up to Echo's premiere, Daredevil only shows up in the first episode. And it's not for very long.

In Episode 1, we see a recap of everything we know about Maya, including her first appearance in the stellar miniseries Hawkeye. We also see a bit about Kingpin's past as well. Then we see Kingpin begin to train Maya to take on more dangerous jobs, and it's there she comes face to face with Daredevil.

The two have a long and violent fight, one that Maya almost wins, in fact. But Daredevil still comes out on top. Afterwards, Kingpin comments on how well she did against the masked crusader, which is better than most would do. There's no further tease for the future of the character, as the entire fight is supposed to have taken place in the past. However, it does set up that he and Echo have met before (and that Kingpin and Daredevil have a long history/rivalry), so there's now a foundation for more interactions between the two in the future.

That's all we get to see of Daredevil in Echo. While it's disappointing, he's set to get his own show in the near future, so there's more Daredevil on the way for anyone who wanted more of Matt Murdock.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:17 AM, Beige said:

OK.

An overweight, deaf, one-legged woman 'held her own' against Daredevil for 3 minutes.

Which part of 'complete garbage' are you getting confused with?

Is it too much to ask to make the hero at least a little believable?

On 1/15/2024 at 3:54 PM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

Yeah it made no sense in the show because the TV version of Echo does not have the same abilities as in the comic. The comic version is like the Taskmaster,  she can perfectly replicate the fighting abilities of anyone she watches. So in this TV version it is like your sister who has taken some karate classes fighting DD.

I especially liked the "move" where she holds her leg in the air mid fight, and DD just stands there waiting to see what she does, and Echo lets go of her leg swiping it at DD's face. It is painfully slow, and looks completely ineffective and it is as it doesn't faze DD in the slightest. 

Taken in its best light, ECHO was a well acted light fare ensemble character-driven dramedy which explores Choctaw mysticism & culture through the centuries with some elaborate fight sequences thrown in. In this best light, one should consider the MCU characters, DD &, much more importantly, Kingpin, as being in no way related to the MCU we know, as I think Transplant kinda said. Think of this Fisk as some other Fisk & it should help you get through ECHO. Some scotch might help too. I needed some & I think it helped.  

Edited by TupennyConan
-driven

On 1/16/2024 at 11:44 AM, TupennyConan said:

Taken in its best light, ECHO was a well acted light fare ensemble character-driven dramedy which explores Choctaw mysticism & culture through the centuries with some elaborate fight sequences thrown in. In this best light, one should consider the MCU characters, DD &, much more importantly, Kingpin, as being in no way related to the MCU we know, as I think Transplant kinda said. Think of this Fisk as some other Fisk & it should help you get through ECHO. Some scotch might help too. I needed some & I think it helped.  

If mental gymnastics and mind altering chemicals are needed to watch something, better to just not to watch it. (shrug)

On 1/16/2024 at 11:58 AM, Hulksdaddy1 said:

If mental gymnastics and mind altering chemicals are needed to watch something, better to just not to watch it. (shrug)

I can't think of a reason why anyone should watch it. It's about 5hrs long.

On 1/13/2024 at 4:08 PM, Silver Surfer said:

Sadly it was a bore. 

On 1/13/2024 at 8:58 PM, Beige said:

It was bloody awful.

That was not my takeaway, but I can totally see how people feel that way about it. These past two weeks while my wife has been gone on vacation, I've re-watched DD season 2 and am halfway through Punisher season 1 - and the difference in quality is like comparing a grocery cart to a Ferrari. The stuff Marvel has put out/been associated with in the past few years is so unbelievably bad compared to what they were doing 5-10 years ago, I'm more apt to believe the old show-runners were abducted by aliens than to think you could put that many incompetent, incoherent, incapable people in one building to make decisions about entertainment.

On 1/19/2024 at 6:58 PM, Dr. Balls said:

That was not my takeaway, but I can totally see how people feel that way about it. These past two weeks while my wife has been gone on vacation, I've re-watched DD season 2 and am halfway through Punisher season 1 - and the difference in quality is like comparing a grocery cart to a Ferrari. The stuff Marvel has put out/been associated with in the past few years is so unbelievably bad compared to what they were doing 5-10 years ago, I'm more apt to believe the old show-runners were abducted by aliens than to think you could put that many incompetent, incoherent, incapable people in one building to make decisions about entertainment.

You get your non-MCU critic credentials back with that post

christian-bale-here-you-go.gif.812fdb800b60f94b1a20fff4b6ca26b8.gif

I finished watching Echo a couple nights ago. I thought it was pretty good. I'll probably never have any desire to watch it again, but I thought it was solid Marvel filler. Not everything can be a home run.

As with most MCU content over the past 5 years, Echo is nowhere near as good as the majority of MCU content from 5-10 years ago. Nonetheless, I was able to watch it and generally enjoy it. The same cannot be said for my experience with Moon Knight or Loki for example. Moon Knight remains the only MCU production I couldn't get through, and I fell asleep for some of Loki.

The Echo lead didn't draw me in, but she was okay. I like her cousin Bonnie--she was cute. I liked the general Echo storyline. How they wove it into the MCU of the past was nice. I liked that the show was set somewhere besides a metropolis. The Choctaw subject matter was cool. Although, I thought they could've dove deeper into the lore. The supporting family characters were all good. I thought Kingpin was the best part of the show. And Daredevil being featured was awesome. The fact that lead characters from other MCU shows are the best parts of Echo tell you that Echo simply isn't on their level of intrigue, and that deep down I really wanted more of those other characters. I liked Echo...but I didn't love it.

Following in the wake of some MCU greats and with so much streaming content to choose from these days, being "average" sounds worse than being average. Today, being average sounds bad. We're spoiled (in a good way) with choice and our standards are high. I'd grade Echo a C. In high school and college, I was plenty happy with a C in my math classes.