• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

What about LAUGH #20? Metropolis has a raw LAUGH #20 at a 3.0 for $350.00...with only

8 graded copies on the CGC Census, what do you think a graded copy at 5.0 would be valued at?

mm

I think the major reason it's unpopular is that it's a #20 rather than a #1. It's essentially a Pep clone and I don't think it appeals to single character collectors the way Betty and Veronica #1 or Jughead #1 do. So, it's a very cool book IMO, but not high on many collectors' must have lists.

I think the major reason it's unpopular is that it's a #20 rather than a #1. It's essentially a Pep clone and I don't think it appeals to single character collectors the way Betty and Veronica #1 or Jughead #1 do. So, it's a very cool book IMO, but not high on many collectors' must have lists.

Good Information from the widely recognized Archie expert! (thumbs u

So, where does Pals 'n' Gals #1 fall on this list of collectors' must have. Love the 120 page squarebound books along with the classic love triangle cover for issue #1. :cloud9:

Pals n Gals #1 is probably the most common Archie first of the GA. Very much an under guide book. I have one with the original mailing envelope, and even then I paid significantly under guide at auction.

There are currently 7 copies for sale on eBay...

Pals n Gals #1 is probably the most common Archie first of the GA. Very much an under guide book. I have one with the original mailing envelope, and even then I paid significantly under guide at auction.

There are currently 7 copies for sale on eBay...

Thanks for this info! (thumbs u

Since this book is so common, I assume that this would be one of the few Archie keys left in high grade that would still be available and possibly reasonable from a pricing point of view. Would the discount to guide price also apply to the high grade copies of this book?

I think so, but the discount would be less. The CGC 9.2 Harley is offering on ebay for $2500 didn't sell when another seller was offering it at $1200. Lower grades are probably half guide books and the higher grades are more in the 65-75% range.

Speaking of keys....is Life with Archie #42, first appearance of Pureheart, considered even a minor key?

Sure :)

In lower grades no one is really interested in it, but I think a slabbed 9+ copy would do pretty well.

Speaking of keys....is Life with Archie #42, first appearance of Pureheart, considered even a minor key?

Sure :)

In lower grades no one is really interested in it, but I think a slabbed 9+ copy would do pretty well.

Looks like the highest at the moment is 8.0 hm

A lot of people seem to be asking high prices on early Archies. I don't think that Laugh #20 in 6.0 will fetch $900 ...

There has been a big trend for sellers to put substantially higher prices on other early Archie books because of the steep upward movements on Archie 1 and Pep 22.

I think there's an assumption that the other books should trend that way as well but it's probably not that likely in the near term for most of them except for maybe super high grades, pedigrees of which there are very few Archies, or great Montana covers.

Pep 22 through 50 tend to always be over guide books to varying degrees with 36 and 41-50 being in especially high demand but very scarce because they are the earliest Archie Pep covers and they also include the Shield and other MLJ heroes on the cover with Archie and the gang.

Jackpot #4 is of course the first appearance of Archie on a cover, is very rare, but just doesn't seem to generate as much interest as Pep 22 and Archie 1 even though it predates Archie 1.

Archie 1-10 are normally over guide with, at least from what I've seen, #9 being especially scarce for a later number.

Beyond those, the other books, even if they are firsts or key issues, become more plentiful relative to demand.

You guys have not mention Archie Annual # 1. Highest graded copy is a 7.0. It sold on Ebay about two years ago for $3,000 if I am correct. Very tough book to find. I think in Archie # 46 or 56 Archie Publications had an ad that they were buying back all Annual # 1 issues for $1,00 ( a lot of money for kids at that time) if they sent them in. If anybody has NM issue of this book I think it would go for over a very large sum of dough!!!!!!!!!