• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

Any idea as to why they were buying back the Annuals?

It was Archie # 56

The cover actually says $500.00 for an Archie Annual. I was told a story that something hapened to all the file copies MLJ Publications had at that time. So they werebuying thesebooks back. Supposedely that is the reason there is no high grade copy out there. Again, this is the story I wastold.

As far as I know, no one at Archie can recall why this happened. I'm pretty sure that Victor Gorelick (who has been at Archie for 50 years) has said that he doesn't know. I would love to see some concrete evidence as to why they did this.

As far as I know, no one at Archie can recall why this happened. I'm pretty sure that Victor Gorelick (who has been at Archie for 50 years) has said that he doesn't know. I would love to see some concrete evidence as to why they did this.

They had accidentally encoded the Archie Annual with a map to the treasure buried under the statue of Rodin's 'Thinker"

They had accidentally encoded the Archie Annual with a map to the treasure buried under the statue of Rodin's 'Thinker"

I heard that if you folded the BC like a Mad Magazine it revealed a drawing of Betty, naked.

:blush:

Parents freaked out and they bought all the copies back.

I heard that if you folded the BC like a Mad Magazine it revealed a drawing of Betty, naked.

:blush:

Parents freaked out and they bought all the copies back.

:olol

I've speculated that the buy back had been planned at the time Archie Annual 1 was published.

If you read the letter inside the cover of AA #1, it talks about the book being a first edition and the importance of first editions in book publishing.

To quote the letter:

"Sometimes FIRST EDITIONS have a value exceeding the price you pay, and it has happened often in the publishing business that the publisher himself asks readers for certain issues that he needs for special purposes and offers to pay a premium price. So hold on to this magazine. One never knows."

It appears to have been planned as some kind of promotional gimmick although the why makes no sense in hindsight.

:o:signfunny:

There's a CGC 2.5 Pep 36 on ebay. Another book it'll be nice to see the final price on... LINK

Well, all I can say is that the price is going to end up substantially higher than it's current $460 bid price which is just bit over the guide price.

Isn't thier auction description and Overstreet technically incorrect in stating that this is the first Archie cover? Shouldn't Jackpot #4 sort of qualify for a cover appearance, although I must admit that it is only a head shot of Archie (as per your avatar)? (shrug)

There's a CGC 2.5 Pep 36 on ebay. Another book it'll be nice to see the final price on... LINK

Well, all I can say is that the price is going to end up substantially higher than it's current $460 bid price which is just bit over the guide price.

Isn't thier auction description and Overstreet technically incorrect in stating that this is the first Archie cover? Shouldn't Jackpot #4 sort of qualify for a cover appearance, although I must admit that it is only a head shot of Archie (as per your avatar)? (shrug)

I think that it is correct to identify this as the first Archie cover whereas Jackpot 4 is the first cover appearance but it's not an Archie cover.

For the Comiclink Pep #22, 3 hours after the bidding starts, it's at a little over $6,000. A 6.5 with extensive restoration and trimmed.

It's good to see that a rare book, restored or not, gets some strong interest.

That Archie #1 CGC 3.5 did pretty well at auction, breaking $20K. That was roughly a $10K book just over a year ago.

Impressive result and Archies are finally getting their due in terms of $ realized.

Going to be interesting to see what the restored Pep #22 in Comiclink gets. My money is on close to $20K