• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Early Archie prices

576 posts in this topic

So far the Archie Comiclink winning bids look pretty strong. I was amazed that the Annual 2 CGC 8.5 went for $2800 (more than 3X Guide). I'm not sure how to analyze the Archie 1 CGC 6.0 MP, but $8K seems about right to me. It'll be interesting to see how the Pep 22 (currently over $13K) and the Super Comics (currently over $6K) finish.

So far the Archie Comiclink winning bids look pretty strong. I was amazed that the Annual 2 CGC 8.5 went for $2800 (more than 3X Guide). I'm not sure how to analyze the Archie 1 CGC 6.0 MP, but $8K seems about right to me. It'll be interesting to see how the Pep 22 (currently over $13K) and the Super Comics (currently over $6K) finish.

It was wise of them to post pics of the stories along with the (Archie free) covers.

Super Comics has been well under the radar considering what people spend on the BW Marvel annuals. But not so much anymore.

Could be that the last bargain copy may have been the one you got a while back.

It was wise of them to post pics of the stories along with the (Archie free) covers.

Super Comics has been well under the radar considering what people spend on the BW Marvel annuals. But not so much anymore.

Could be that the last bargain copy may have been the one you got a while back.

Less than 90 minutes to go and Super Comics is at $11,362. Never thought I'd see that. I should have bid more 8-10 years ago when it showed up on a few rare occasions. No one paid much attention to it then.

One thing I learned from the restored Archie #1 and Pep #22 sales, 2 books similar in restoration and similar in grade(slight advantage to the Archie #1), is that the Pep #22 is worth approx. double in price, or that buyers are willing to pay twice as much. Its only one example of the 2 books going head to head but it does make sense that the Pep is worth much more. And if the Pep #22 was not trimmed it probably would have sold closer to 20K. As for the Super Comics strong price tonight, its a combination of rarity and rising focus on key Archie books. .

One thing I learned from the restored Archie #1 and Pep #22 sales, 2 books similar in restoration and similar in grade(slight advantage to the Archie #1), is that the Pep #22 is worth approx. double in price, or that buyers are willing to pay twice as much. Its only one example of the 2 books going head to head but it does make sense that the Pep is worth much more. And if the Pep #22 was not trimmed it probably would have sold closer to 20K. As for the Super Comics strong price tonight, its a combination of rarity and rising focus on key Archie books. .

I've noticed for some time now that the relationship seems to be 2:1 when it comes to Pep 22/Archie 1.

(thumbs u

I've noticed for some time now that the relationship seems to be 2:1 when it comes to Pep 22/Archie 1.

(thumbs u

I've always felt that Pep #22 should be valued higher than Archie #1 and have never understood why they always moved in lock-step to each other in the price guide.

When I bring this up on the boards here and do the 'Tec and Action comparisons, the usual response is that Archie #1 has a classic Archie cover to go along with the all-Archie interiors, whereas Pep #22 only has the one Archie story inside. ???

(thumbs u

I've always felt that Pep #22 should be valued higher than Archie #1 and have never understood why they always moved in lock-step to each other in the price guide.

When I bring this up on the boards here and do the 'Tec and Action comparisons, the usual response is that Archie #1 has a classic Archie cover to go along with the all-Archie interiors, whereas Pep #22 only has the one Archie story inside. ???

In my 30 :o years of Archie collecting, the market has always valued Pep 22 higher than Archie 1. So, IMO there's no reason to make up a story to explain why Overstreet is correct when it clearly is not.

As to the Clink sales, I thought the Pep 22 finish was just about right, and the Super Comics went far beyond what I would have expected. The seller must be :banana: right now.

Personally I wasn`t too sure where the Pep #22 was going to end at, as far as the Super Comics I did not think that it would go so high, but I think it is great that it did!

On the Super Comics I would have guess $5k to $6k.

I think collectors are beginning to realize how important Archie is and how rare some of his early books are! I have not seen a Jackpot #4 for sale for at least two years. Does anyone know or have an idea what a Jackpot #4 is worth these days? Say a 4.0 universal?

I got an offer of $3K for my cgc 5.5 Jackpot 4 through Heritage a few days ago. Didn't take me long to reject it :sumo:

I was hoping maybe I'd catch you in a good mood. :shrug:

I got an offer of $3K for my cgc 5.5 Jackpot 4 through Heritage a few days ago. Didn't take me long to reject it :sumo:

I was hoping maybe I'd catch you in a good mood. :shrug:

I'm never in a good mood :devil:

When was the last time you saw a Jackpot #4 for sale?

Probably a year or so ago (shrug) I think two low grade copies showed up at about the same time.

Fully agree with the sentiment being posted with respect to the Jackpot #4, as this book hardly ever shows up in the marketplace when compared to an Archie #1. (thumbs u

I also would love to see what a decent copy would go for in today's hyper active Archie market. hm

What are your thoughts on the Archie #1 cgc 1.0 that ended a little over $5k on Heritage recently? Too high, too low, about right?

The $5,000 + winning bid on Heritage's 1.0 copy of Archie 1 seems a bit high but given the scarcity I think we may see more of that. It had lots of missing pieces but appeared reasonably intact and the front cover presented well.

There have been some record Archie prices of late. I can't help but think a large part of the increased interest has resulted from Jon Goldwater's efforts to market Archie to a new audience. With the wedding series, the new Kevin Keller character and their early entry into digital comics, he's done a lot to try and make the series relevant again.

Even if that just gets a few more people interested in collecting the early issues, there are so few copies of the keys that it can only start driving up the prices at a steeper rate.

I can see how $5k for an Archie #1 cgc 1.0 can seem high however at the same time if an Amazing Fantasy #15 cgc 1.0 can bring $3k then an Archie #1 cgc 1.0 for $5k does not seem too crazy. I am not trying to take anything away from Amazing Fantasy #15 because it is a very important and great comic just using it as an example.

It really does seem like the demand for Archie comics is on the rise, I hope it continues because it`s about time Archie starts receiving the recognition that he deserves!