• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

BULK PURCHASE OF THE SAME COMIC
5 5

523 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Adam Lui said:

image.thumb.png.b8cc4b37cb9015d7492a062686cfa826.png

9.9 is the minimum grade a comic can get for not having handling defects. If comics are truly uncirculated, it means it was only handled in a way to store so it's highly unlikely to show handling defects, so it "should" get 9.9 minimum. Why doesn't it? Because humans still handled it, but not a reading public. CGC even handles it when unpacking and grading. So if one finds it shocking that a box of truly uncirculated comics can get mostly 9.8's, that just shows they don't know the difference (as many probably don't) between the meaning of CGC's 9.8 / 9.9 / 10.0

qGhiEIe.gif.d82ff58cf8fab42aa636b5329e73871b.gif

5 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

Also it's curious you have a long box of X-Men #1's which is exactly the "massive speculation in the 90's" you ridiculed, yet you join the others in bullying OP for soundly expecting value today/near-future in 30-year old comics that were once common

Not curious at all.  I've been collecting since 1975.  I've been buying collections for 15 years and my basement is full of comics including lots of X-men 1s. 

Not sure why you characterize my comments as ridiculing 90s comics as I never said anything of the sort.  Overall they aren't my cup of tea but I know there's value there and I've been selling CA to MA for years to buy GA and SA.  Also not sure why you characterize the comments as bullying as the vast majority were posted to give helpful advice.  Could you point out all of the posts that bullied the OP before you stepped in to defend him and posted this unfriendly comment?

"everyone acts like an expert even if it doesn't make any sense"

You know what .. all you really want to hear is 1963553505_200(10).gif.4f2b0c095feb7545ab0158440ed4ec6c.gif

Well.. there you go. You obviously think of yourself as the savior of some percieved injustice , and that you know more than a collective community , that the OP sought advise and answers from. So go ahead. Type out your exact advise to him. Answer his questions directly. 

Clearly with your intellect and experience should not be wasted on going back and forth with the rest of us buffoons.  

1222621521_tenor(33).gif.97653409c03e05bdc1e8bb95ffbd21b8.gif

3 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

I meant most of you are gasping because 90s is still too modern for you, failing to realize everything was modern at one point (what do you think they called Silver Age comics when they were current?)

Adam, you are making assumptions that are incorrect - I'm using the work incorrect because you clearly don't like it when I say you don't know what you're talking about. There are lots of collectors on the boards who appreciate CA or MA.  I'd guess they outnumber GA collectors by a good margin and I'd guess there's as many CA MA collectors here as SA or BA.  And don't discount collectors who dabble in all eras of comics as there are many here.  Most of the guys posting in this thread collect CA and MA.

The two threads below are probably the two most popular on the boards.

This thread devoted to hot modern books and has almost 2900 pages of posts.

This thread is devoted to hot Copper Age books

1 minute ago, Adam Lui said:

How am I a saviour for pointing out bullying by select members of a community of thousands. Don't mischaracterize me by clumping yourself with the non-bullies. Several nonbullies actually answered his question (how to mass-grade) instead of derogatorily opining on his valuation prowess. You are not one of them and I have no desire to "win" against you

Just now, Adam Lui said:

And if you did nothing wrong you have no reason to be so defensive

Not being defensive or trying to win either.  I merely point out that just like the ones you are calling bullies in the thread , you took it upon yourself to defend the OP against these members.  

Yes some members took time to answer questions and offer their recommendations on how to go about submitting, but you came in promptly processed to defend the OP against what you said was bullying.

The OP said some members were harsh, but he didn't directly say that he percieved this as bullying.  

Do you know him personally?  Did he ask for you to start taking up his defense?  

I am not trying to get into semantics, but this sure seems as though you are acting the same way towards those members, that you perceive them to be doing to the OP. 

2 minutes ago, shadroch said:

What a bizarre rabbit hole this thread went down. I guess it's Friday somewhere.

How blessed we are today. One guy finds the only case I've ever heard of that is all 9.8s or  better and another guy lucks into a Batman 1.

Who knew? (shrug) 

Heard it before though.  Thursday is the new Friday. 

Well you thought that 0.013% of 200K books being 9.8 was a lot so continue to bully him but you really aren't as expert as you think you are. For you to think you have to have "heard" of it for it to e true also reveals your ego

How is defending a victim of bullying just like being a bully lol

Yes you are correct, I pointed out that not everyone was like you, so you would stop mischaracterizing me as some accuser who wrongly lumped a "collective community" as bullies

You are correct. Victims of bullying rarely speak up. And anyone with common sense who's not a bully understands when people are called "harsh"

I do not, he did not. This is a public board free for me to defend as I choose, just as you are free to continue to bully him.

Bullying means "seek to harm, intimidate, or coerce someone perceived as vulnerable.' If you think you are the vulnerable one after all the aggressive posts you've made with demeaning imagery and remarks, I don't know what else to say tbh

You went from I wasn't bullying,  to I am free to continue to bully. This has become erratic.  I do not need a lecture on a definition or examples of how you perceived what I posted. It is a public forum and just as you are free to post what you see fit. So are all of the rest of us. Good luck with your future on the boards. I am just going to take a step back and let whatever happens happen. 

40 minutes ago, Adam Lui said:

You're admitting that you too partook in the mega speculation of the 90s so you're in no position to ridicule it, that's what made it curious. How are you a bully? You said:

"They know that there was massive speculation in the 90s and Atilla the Hun size hoards of books went into storage because they couldn't be sold.  They know these books are common and boxes of uncirculated comics aren't unusual.  And finally they know what it takes to get a 9.8 from CGC.  Anyone who believes a box of unread and uncirculated comics will yield all or mostly 9.8 copies doesn't know what they're talking about. "

You are quite literally defending everyone making fun of OP for speculating + saying OP "doesn't know what they're talking about" thus a participant in the bullying. I do not doubt you've been collecting since 1975, but it bears no relevance and does not change the factual series of events that transpired.

Serious question, what's wrong with you dude?  Why do you keep putting words into my mouth?  Where did I say I partook of the mega speculation of the 90's?  Where am I ridiculing 90s books?  I started collecting in the mid 1970s.  Purchased titles off the stands and then eventually through comic stores until about 5 years ago when I dropped my file.  I did buy comics during the 90s boom but they were just my regular file titles.  I watched the 90's speculation and shook my head and continued to buy GA and SA back issues.  I do have lots of 90s books in my basement because they were parts of collections I've purchased over the years.

You keep talking about everyone bullying the OP in this thread.  I'm trying to be reasonable and I'm asking nicely.  Where is all the bullying that occurred in this thread before you stepped in to defend the OP?

1st post: Designer76 asking about getting 1992 bulk comics graded

2nd post: Povertyrow friendly post discussing the use of gem mint and suggesting the OP post some scans in the grading forum

3rd post:  SOTI helpful friendly advice on submitting books for grading

4th post: Designer76 thanking people for advice

5th post:  Yorick posting about adding 100 books to the top of census might not be the best way to sell

6th post:  A joke from revat about selling all his 1992 slabs before the OP gets his graded.

7th post:  shadroch posting about the glut of the 1990s and that most books from that era are common in high grade.

8th post:  Designer76 Lmao, you guys are harsh

9th post: Designer76 showing pics of his collection and son

10th post: Angel of Death  " lower your expectations"

11th post:   Adam Lui quoting a Turok post from I don't where

12 post:  Adam Lui  "I notice that a lot about this forum too, everyone acts like an expert even if it doesn't make any sense" 

If you step back you should be able to see that this is a rather hostile post saying everyone acts like an expert and don't make any sense.

"You didn't say it you inadvertantly revealed it by boasting about your X-Men #1's when my mention of my longbox was merely an answer to your question "When have you ever seen a box full of 9.8's""

Saying I have a long box of X-man 1's reveals that I have a long box of X-men 1s and I posted it to indicate they are common.  There is no information given about how I obtained those books and you are making an incorrect assumption.  There is no inadvertent reveal and there's no boasting on my part.  I don't consider X-men 1 to be particularly boast worthy  

"No, I mention SPECIFIC people bullying, to those like you who quote/tag me thus sending me a notification I swiftly respond to (i.e. the more you bring it up the more it will be addressed thus inflating the perception of topic frequency)"

Your comments:

"yet you join the others in bullying OP for soundly expecting value today/near-future in 30-year old comics that were once common"
"You are quite literally defending everyone making fun of OP for speculating + saying OP "doesn't know what they're talking about" thus a participant in the bullying"

So who else is bullying the OP and who else is making fun of the OP?  Please quote the posts.  And I'm not sure how topic frequency and quote/tagging you is relevant?  But please quote the posts of others who bullied the OP and posts of everyone making fun of the OP.

5 hours ago, Adam Lui said:

I figured it out, the people beating him up are much older and don't have the same nostalgia as the people driving up demand for 90s comics. Kinda like when you gasp at a song you liked in high school ending up on Oldies station

Actually that is not true. 

Shadroch ran stores and placed orders during that time period.  I was in high school and a buyer. 

People will buy X-Men 1 and Turok 1 because they were popular issues of the time.  

I am more interested in the OP's comic that he found.  Because far fewer people are looking to buy Turok 2 in a 9.8 or Eternal Warrior 11. Here is a purchase and resale that I made of...Eternal Warrior 11 in a 9.8.  I won a copy of Eternal Warrior 11 CGC 9.8 for $6 + $10 for shipping lol 

Data taken from GPA

330759225_ScreenShot2021-04-08at5_35_18AM.thumb.png.b50200cfbb66c18a625208f0b6f99314.png

Last year, I decided I did not want it so I listed it on eBay for a BIN of $45 shipped.  (BTW anyone else see easy it is to manipulate data with the free shipping).   As you can see it is the same book.  $16 for my purchase. $45 - 13% fees = $39.15 - $10 shipping (estimate) and we are at $28 which is not really worth the time and investment of resources to have slabbed and sold myself.   In fact, I don't think I would have bought the book to begin with if I wasn't an Eternal Warrior fan and saw that I could get this for $16 and had a thought to put together a run at 9.8.   

2105371818_ScreenShot2021-04-08at5_35_35AM.thumb.png.712c9a09f3002c184db47623033e2f0a.png

Now, how high of a demand is there for Eternal Warrior 11 in a CGC 9.8?  This was the only copy sold since 2014.    So it is not a book that either shows up often or anyone really wants.   Judging by the price, it is not a book that anyone really wants slabbed.   The OP has to factor this in before submitting a book.   Do people actually "want it" ?  There will always be a market for X-Men 1 in some capacity.  There is apparently a very small market for Eternal Warrior 11 and even within that market, the book does not command a price where it is worth slabbing 200 copies and tying up that money as you try to recoup it over the next decade.   

343462986_ScreenShot2021-04-08at5_42_15AM.thumb.png.ce460f90eb7028b56677ac1e65a6a020.png

5 minutes ago, Adam Lui said:

Upon review many posts were deleted so my early work was effective in stemming the negativity. Then posts like yours occurred post-intervention and I continued to reply to your tags defending your ways. Also again if you didn't do anything bad why so defensive, just ignore me. In case you're truly unaware how aggressive you are and are not being dishonest.

So you can't quote all the people who have bullied the OP and made fun of him?  I didn't see those posts and have no way of knowing what I missed.  Perhaps there was something there that prompted you to post that 'everyone here was acting like an expert even if it made no sense', which is a hostile post.

I'm not being aggressive.  I'm trying to have a discussion with you.  When you state all or almost all books will come back 9.8 I don't think you know what you're talking about.  I'm not bulling you I'm disagreeing  with you.  

How old was he? If mid-20s that makes him mid-50s which is much older than those who collected 90s comics as kids like you and me so his nostalgia was more for his childhood comics vs. 90s ones is why he partook in the beration

The OP revealed he collected since the '90s so he is also attuned to what people want today. That is why he only asked for adviec on how to mass-grade not evaluate prices

But I am not talking to him.  I am talking to YOU.  Be prepared, I am in the middle of another response but only have 7 minutes as I really have to get some things done.

Try not to get this locked so I can response later.