• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Bronze CGC 9.2-9.6 Prices Tanking?

168 posts in this topic

"That's never going to happen, because, quite simply, everybody's doing it. Modern books will NEVER be scarce in high grade. Not now, not 50 years from now, not 100 years from now."

Who needs "scarce"? Pay 25 cents now... maybe there will be a market at $3-$5 in enough years. I buy stuff from the last 10-15 years out of 50 cent bins and when I've picked them right sell them out of my store for $2-$3. Yes, this is very little money, I agree. My goal is that the same people buy 10-20 at a time for $2-$3. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen much.

Meanwhile, I have the comic if I desire to read it.

I'm not sure if I'm getting this right or not, but from the above lists of bronze comics that are sold every quarter in high grade, there were no dc comics. Not even batman one of their premier characters. That means to me that individual issues of dc comics come up for sale much less frequently than their marvel conterparts. is this a correct deduction?

That means to me that individual issues of dc comics come up for sale much less frequently than their marvel conterparts. is this a correct deduction?

Obviously, as there are virtually no key DC first appearances in the Bronze Age.

"That's never going to happen, because, quite simply, everybody's doing it. Modern books will NEVER be scarce in high grade. Not now, not 50 years from now, not 100 years from now."

Who needs "scarce"? Pay 25 cents now... maybe there will be a market at $3-$5 in enough years. I buy stuff from the last 10-15 years out of 50 cent bins and when I've picked them right sell them out of my store for $2-$3. Yes, this is very little money, I agree. My goal is that the same people buy 10-20 at a time for $2-$3. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen much.

Meanwhile, I have the comic if I desire to read it.

Fair enough, but as you yourself agree, the occasional sale of a 50cent book for $2 is hardly a "goldmine."

I only mean to speak to this fantasy that if you put new books away, in 50 years time they will be worth something akin to what their golden age counterparts are worth now. That's complete mythology, and it's the sort of bunk that some shady LCS owners proffer to the dumber substrata of their clientele.

I only mean to speak to this fantasy that if you put new books away, in 50 years time they will be worth something akin to what their golden age counterparts are worth now. That's complete mythology, and it's the sort of bunk that some shady LCS owners proffer to the dumber substrata of their clientele.

Those are the same innanities I heard card dealers peddling to their greedy eyed customers back in the early 90's. "Put your kids through college" with a case of Upper Deck. "Pay for your retirement" with rare foil inserts. screwy.gif Those "investors" should have saved time and flushed their money directly down the toilet.

Those are the same innanities I heard card dealers peddling to their greedy eyed customers back in the early 90's. "Put your kids through college" with a case of Upper Deck. "Pay for your retirement" with rare foil inserts. screwy.gif Those "investors" should have saved time and flushed their money directly down the toilet.

You ain't lying; my stepbrother has hundreds of unopened Upper Deck boxes from the early 90s. They are literally stacked from the floor to the celing; you open that closet and just marvel at the colossal waste of money. I think he keeps them as a monument to folly, or maybe he's deluding himself that there will be a "comeback." Hard to say, as I don't talk to the dude very much.

You ain't lying; my stepbrother has hundreds of unopened Upper Deck boxes from the early 90s. They are literally stacked from the floor to the celing; you open that closet and just marvel at the colossal waste of money. I think he keeps them as a monument to folly, or maybe he's deluding himself that there will be a "comeback." Hard to say, as I don't talk to the dude very much.

My dad and I were big into baseball cards when I was maybe 11 and 12. He has full sets of Topps '62 and '63, as well as a set of '55 All-Americans (possibly the greatest sports card set I have ever seen) and I remember going with him to a dealer's house who he was friendly with at the time. This guy had box upon box of absolutely primo stuff. He has a Goudey Ruth and Gehrig, as well as reams of 50s and 60s cards, all in 8/9 or better shape. This guy was selling all of his vintage stuff and buying cases and cases of the new craap. To put it in perspective, imagine finding 5,000 VF and better silver age comics in full runs and selling them to buy pallets of Youngblood #1s. Breaks the heart to hear such a tale of woe....all caused by the manufactured collectible hype machine. mad.gif

cards are the worst because you were able to delude yourself into thinking you had zillions of dollars worth of stuff and about 700,000 cards fit in half your closet.

but some people didn't want to accept the reality even when a shop owner told them like it was. my friend who owned a comic/card shop in the late 80s was asked by a customer how he should/could invest his money in new cards to pay for his kids college education. when he told the customer he shouldn't try to invest like that with his kid's college money and that it was too risky, the guy lost his mind, tried to rip his throat out because he thought my friend was trying to withhold secret dealer knowledge from him or some such nonsense.

when he told the customer he shouldn't try to invest like that with his kid's college money and that it was too risky, the guy lost his mind, tried to rip his throat out because he thought my friend was trying to withhold secret dealer knowledge from him or some such nonsense.

I've had that happen myself a few times, especially during the Speculator Booms of the early 80's and early-90's. People would ask me, "Should I buy a case of WILDcats #1 for investment?" and I'd say "No, think about it - if everyone's hoarding it, then who'll buy it back later?"... and they'd always get angry.

This type of person is NOT seeking real advice, but a confirmation of the "easy money" action they've already decided to take.

when he told the customer he shouldn't try to invest like that with his kid's college money and that it was too risky, the guy lost his mind, tried to rip his throat out because he thought my friend was trying to withhold secret dealer knowledge from him or some such nonsense.

I've had that happen myself a few times, especially during the Speculator Booms of the early 80's and early-90's. People would ask me, "Should I buy a case of WILDcats #1 for investment?" and I'd say "No, think about it - if everyone's hoarding it, then who'll buy it back later?"... and they'd always get angry.

This type of person is NOT seeking real advice, but a confirmation of the "easy money" action they've already decided to take.

Ditto. I worked a convention a week after that seven million copy X-men #1 hit the stands. I remember a guy who had picked out a couple of my SA books that totalled out to around $75 or so. So the guy asks me, "what will I get a better return on, these books or if I take the same money and buy a stack of X-men 1?"

Naturally, I said go with the silver. The guy immediately got suspicious, and accused me of misleading him in order to sell stuff that was harder to move. "If the X-Men 1 isn't going to be worth anything, why are millions of people looking to buy it right now?" foreheadslap.gif

Some people you just can't win with. Honestly, I don't know why some folks solicit a seller's advice; they'll never take your word for it. Reminds me of a friend of mine who runs a mom & pop record store. Some guy came in the store and held up a copy of Sgt. Pepper and asked, "is this a good album?" Naturally, my friend said, "yeah, it's one of the best albums ever made!" The guy only scowled at him and said, "well, you would say that." Christo_pull_hair.gifscrewy.gif

Obviously, as there are virtually no key DC first appearances in the Bronze Age.

but 5 of my DC favorites though…

Swamp Thing (HOS 92)

Firestorm1

Ragman 1

Erg/Wildfire (SB&LSH 195 & 201)

Warlord (FIS 8)

The HOS # 92 is the only one on your list I consider a "Key", as the other character's are minor IMHO. flowerred.gif

HOS # 92 was the only DC that quickly came to mind after reading JC's post. I suppose you could put Kirby's 4th world books on the list,...or not....... confused-smiley-013.gif

but 5 of my DC favorites though…

Swamp Thing (HOS 92)

Firestorm1

Ragman 1

Erg/Wildfire (SB&LSH 195 & 201)

Warlord (FIS 8)

The HOS # 92 is the only one on your list I consider a "Key", as the other character's are minor IMHO. flowerred.gif

HOS # 92 was the only DC that quickly came to mind after reading JC's post. I suppose you could put Kirby's 4th world books on the list,...or not....... confused-smiley-013.gif

Forever People 1

New Gods 1

Jimmy Olsen 133,134

are all 4th world books that I consider key.

Kirby's Sandman 1 has been picking up steam but I just can't get excited about it.

HOS #92 was the only one that came to mind with me as well, but I wanted to leave it open to potentially 1-2 others that I may have forgotten.