• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are Bronze CGC 9.2-9.6 Prices Tanking?

168 posts in this topic

It appears to me that a lot of BA Marvel SuperHero issues have really gone nowhere over the past three years (just looking at graphs of various issues on GPAnalysis). A period of stagnation isn't the worse thing, especially on more common issues. Of course that period could easily last for a decade or more.

And while there may be be more BA collectors, I really wonder if a lot of the high prices paid for certain books, came more from HG SA collectors who were extending their runs. In other words collectors who decided not to stop ASM at 80 or 100, but figured they would collect up to issue 200. If they were paying hundreds of dollars for CGC 9.4's of mid SA issues, it probably was easy for them to pay a hundred or two for CGC 9.6/9.8 of later issues.

My point is, are there really a lot of HG Marvel BA collectors who don't collect SA also? X-Men would be the exception since it really started over in 1975, but are there lots of Spidey collectors who only start with issues from 1970 on?

My point is, are there really a lot of HG Marvel BA collectors who don't collect SA also? X-Men would be the exception since it really started over in 1975, but are there lots of Spidey collectors who only start with issues from 1970 on?

I don't touch, and have absolutely no interest in, comics prior to the 25-cent Marvel Giants. I started buying comics a bit later, but received comics from that era from friends and relatives, so I remember it with the same fondness.

1971-79 would be my primary collecting period, along with some newer issues and runs, but I have absolutely zero interest in anything earlier.

Obviously, as there are virtually no key DC first appearances in the Bronze Age.

but 5 of my DC favorites though…

Swamp Thing (HOS 92)

Firestorm1

Ragman 1

Erg/Wildfire (SB&LSH 195 & 201)

Warlord (FIS 8)

The HOS # 92 is the only one on your list I consider a "Key", as the other character's are minor IMHO. flowerred.gif

HOS # 92 was the only DC that quickly came to mind after reading JC's post. I suppose you could put Kirby's 4th world books on the list,...or not....... confused-smiley-013.gif

I agree, just a few of my favorite DC character firsts.

First Issue Special 8 is somewhat if a key though.

Lets also not forget Green Lantern 141/142… the 1st Omega Men. That was a hot book for awhile too. Not sure is that's technically bronze though

These are DC keys to me, but not so to the mainstream

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't touch, and have absolutely no interest in, comics prior to the 25-cent Marvel Giants. I started buying comics a bit later, but received comics from that era from friends and relatives, so I remember it with the same fondness.

1971-79 would be my primary collecting period, along with some newer issues and runs, but I have absolutely zero interest in anything earlier.

I realize that you don't collect SA. But I also don't believe you are one of those collectors paying top dollar for BA HG books.

I'm saying that I believe that most of ultra high grade collectors of BA books (especially Marvel SuperHero titles) also collect the SA part of the run.

And the reason I point that out, is I simply don't see those collectors who decide to sell some of their books, starting to sell the harder to find SA issues first, then selling the BA second. I think they would sell BA first and then SA second.

I could be wrong. grin.gif

I realize that you don't collect SA. But I also don't believe you are one of those collectors paying top dollar for BA HG books.

But that doesn't mean I don't already have a lot and still collect them when I can. grin.gif

You said COLLECT when you obviously meant CURRENTLY BUY or SPECULATE. Say what you mean and mean what you say. thumbsup2.gif

I collect both, and I get a bigger woodchuck when I find HG 20centers as opposed to SA, wether they are common or not.

I would rather sell/sold HG SA to fund more for BA, but thats just me.

I'm with JC. I actually have more interest in BA then SA. I feel that SA is where the big boys with fat wads of $$ play. My sand box is just as exciting but a whole lot cheaper. I've lately been sneaking into the late SA market looking for cheap HG copies. So I guess I do your theory but in reverse.

I collect both, and I get a bigger woodchuck when I find HG 20centers as opposed to SA, wether they are common or not.

Me too. There's just something alluring about that DC twenty cent logo that just tugs my heart... cloud9.gif

Let me clarify.

Are any of you putting together runs of Marvel BA books from titles that started in the SA (X-Men excluded)?

Let me clarify.

Are any of you putting together runs of Marvel BA books from titles that started in the SA (X-Men excluded)?

Probably some Spidey fans that are only working on bronze age. Others? That's a good question. Anyone?

Dan

Let me clarify.

Please clarify again, please.

If, as several of us have stated, we collect Bronze almost strictly, it's logical to assume that are least some of them started in the SA. I am a big BA Amazing Spider-man fan, but only from #96 or #100-up.

And it's not as if I do not CARE about the SA stories, as I own them in Masterwork or Essential form and have read many from low-grade copies, but I do not feel the need to own the actual comic. I feel absolutely no connection to the actual book, the cover, the ads, letters, etc., so therefore I do not buy it.

Let me clarify.

Yes. I am putting together runs of many Marvel BA books from titles that started in the SA.

My runs on those titles all start with the Giant 25 cent picture frame covers (absolutely no 12 or 15 cent covers).

Well this was a fun read for this slow lazy afternoon

The best part:

Today's garbage bin is tomorrow's goldmine!

Not to burst yer bubble, but those days, at least when it comes to comics, are over. And they're never coming back. The notion that "if I buy this book off the stands this week, and put it in a plastic baggie for 50 yrs, it will be worth a ton" is a sucker's game that many less scrupulous LCS owners foister upon their unwitting customers. That's never going to happen, because, quite simply, everybody's doing it. Modern books will NEVER be scarce in high grade. Not now, not 50 years from now, not 100 years from now.

If you're going to go root around in the garbage bins, it better not be for modern comics. Better to pick a new kind of collectible that is currently considered disposable...if you're going to gamble, at least give yourself a fighting chance!

Well this was a fun read for this slow lazy afternoon

The best part:

Today's garbage bin is tomorrow's goldmine!

Not to burst yer bubble, but those days, at least when it comes to comics, are over. And they're never coming back. The notion that "if I buy this book off the stands this week, and put it in a plastic baggie for 50 yrs, it will be worth a ton" is a sucker's game that many less scrupulous LCS owners foister upon their unwitting customers. That's never going to happen, because, quite simply, everybody's doing it. Modern books will NEVER be scarce in high grade. Not now, not 50 years from now, not 100 years from now.

If you're going to go root around in the garbage bins, it better not be for modern comics. Better to pick a new kind of collectible that is currently considered disposable...if you're going to gamble, at least give yourself a fighting chance!

of course, the response is both right and wrong. mere age isn't going to make a book worth something nowadays..just looks at all those 1950s westerns and funny animal books. but today's garbage might be gold if some forgotten character gets revived, put in a movie or some successful second series comes out... like when fish police gets a show on adult spin or something.

I think the cat's outta the bag as collectibles go. We've become a nation of hoarders, afraid to toss anything remotely pop culture. I recall being up to my knees in those McDonald's Happy Meal toys my kids would save. Finally got a snow shovel and gave them the ol' heave ho. Or is it heave to?

One of the reasons I quit collecting comics in the mid eighties was because of the false collectors market economy that was built out of crossovers and No. 1 issues all over the place. It became depressing. Now, I collect bronze age mostly. Stuff I remember as a kid. Neal Adams for the most part. And Wrightson. Keeping it simple. Everyone thought Batman: DKR's was going to be worth the GNP of Brazil, but you can still find 1st prints in great shape for an extremely reasonable price.

As a geek, I'm a sucker in a lot of ways. My youngest son, who is now 32, calls me a magpie. Is it shiny? Is it pretty? Dad will collect it and secret it away so no one else can get at it.

They are going to have a helluva time hoeing out my condo when I go to Valhalla.