• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

59 minutes ago, MattTheDuck said:

To really impact prices, however, the increase in supply has to satisfy most or all of the demand.  I doubt having an extra copy or three of a widely sought-after HG GA book is going to satisfy demand.  Now if the Promise Collection consisted of 5,000 9.6 copies of the same book, it might impact pricing.

It depends. For books from second-tier publishers, the demand may be low enough that prices decrease. For DC and Timely superhero books, the effect will probably be small (except on previously highest-graded copies, which could drop in value quite a bit once they become 2nd-highest-graded copies).

image.png.afc5f15594102660a139e9b8cdc0b1c2.png

I just realized that this beauty is also going up in the auction. Both of the great Grundy covers, in amazing condition, in the same auction. I am downright giddy with excitement, yet also bereft with grief that I do not have anywhere near the funds to take home either of them. Alas.

3 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

It depends. For books from second-tier publishers, the demand may be low enough that prices decrease. For DC and Timely superhero books, the effect will probably be small (except on previously highest-graded copies, which could drop in value quite a bit once they become 2nd-highest-graded copies).

... so true... and the demand factor can be so subjective, difficult to quantify. Anyone who has collected for any length of time is bound to see a significant downward demand trend on something they once had to struggle to acquire. Esoteric Kirby comes to mind for me. I once thought that tanking prices would make me happy, but it's actually bittersweet knowing that people aren't discovering the joy from the cast-asides that once was. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

7 minutes ago, bpc3qh said:

image.png.afc5f15594102660a139e9b8cdc0b1c2.png

I just realized that this beauty is also going up in the auction. Both of the great Grundy covers, in amazing condition, in the same auction. I am downright giddy with excitement, yet also bereft with grief that I do not have anywhere near the funds to take home either of them. Alas.

I could loan you my copy of "Bank Robbing For Dummies" ... :bigsmile: GOD BLESS...

1 minute ago, bpc3qh said:

For the two Grundy books...I'd consider it.

I have trouble looking at the AA 61 .... I had a chance to get a copy that had some work done to the spine but presented like a VF range book and passed. I could have taken it home and made payments for a year ... it was only a couple grand doh! GOD BLESS...

4 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I have trouble looking at the AA 61 .... I had a chance to get a copy that had some work done to the spine but presented like a VF range book and passed. I could have taken it home and made payments for a year ... it was only a couple grand doh! GOD BLESS...

I feel your pain just reading this. My truest sympathies.

20 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

I paid $2900.00 for my last one  and felt at the time is was overpriced badly because the same copy sold a year earlier for $1900.00. It’s funny how your emotions change over time with what your paying at the time. I’ve learned to place all of my business emotions in the long game because the short game causes you undo stress. Buy quality and you’ll probably never regret your purchases be it comics, stocks, property or most anything else…

11 minutes ago, N e r V said:

I paid $2900.00 for my last one  and felt at the time is was overpriced badly because the same copy sold a year earlier for $1900.00. It’s funny how your emotions change over time with what your paying at the time. I’ve learned to place all of my business emotions in the long game because the short game causes you undo stress. Buy quality and you’ll probably never regret your purchases be it comics, stocks, property or most anything else…

That's really good advice. Same way I feel about my ST110: I overpaid for it when I got it...in March of 2020; now it's worth 3x what I paid. I was happy to get the book, and am glad to know ti'll pay off at some point.

On 5/1/2021 at 4:27 PM, adamstrange said:

Should you start a grading company, you can use whatever system you devise for factoring in the different aspects of a comic to produce a single grade summarizing it's condition.  You'll probably find it hard to get everyone to agree to it.  As it says on the back of the CGC label, grading is subjective.

Besides it being impossible to please everyone, it's also impossible to be profitable while doing so.

While all buyers want their books graded as tight as possible, sellers - who are doing the submitting - generally don't.

So it's a fine line between pleasing those submitting books and those buying them.

CGC's standard was created to keep both of those things balanced.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:03 PM, lou_fine said:

Hey, since I love playing games..........................then how about this already gorgeous sure to be highest graded copy by a long shot:  :cloud9:  :takeit:

suspense.jpg

How much unnecessary work will they still try to do on this already "no more need for improvement" book here and how high into the 9's will they dare to be brave enough to score this book here, given it's rather obvious spine and corner issues and the fact that Lon had made the Corporate mistake of pre-emptively providing a scanned copy of the raw book here? :popcorn:  :taptaptap:

On 5/13/2021 at 10:25 PM, Dr. Love said:
Suspense Comics 5 8.0
Suspense Comics 6 9.6
Suspense Comics 7 9.4
Suspense Comics 8 9.2
Suspense Comics 9 9.4
Suspense Comics 10 9.4
Suspense Comics 11 9.8
Suspense Comics 12 9.6

Well, looks like this gorgeous and absolutely impossibly HTF in grade copy of Suspense Comics 8 did score into the 9's at a NM- 9.2.  :cloud9:  :takeit:

Let's just hope the gang at CCS kept all of their chips in place and didn't cut any corners here in their rush to get it through CCS and CGC. :wishluck:  :devil:

9 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:
9 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I'm not sure I buy your argument, though. The supply of high-grade books in increasing, and an increase in supply doesn't usually lead to higher prices; the opposite is usually true (at least according to what my Econ prof taught me back in college).

To really impact prices, however, the increase in supply has to satisfy most or all of the demand.  I doubt having an extra copy or three of a widely sought-after HG GA book is going to satisfy demand. 

Yes, did you fail your Econ course as you have to look at BOTH sides of the supply and demand equation in order to arrive at your price point?  lol

For example, I don't buy your conclusion that the presence of this second highest graded copy of All-American 61 at CGC 9.6 is now going to satiate and satisfy the demand for AA 61 going forward and bringing prices down, especially since they had only 3 highest graded sales during the past 20 years and then at only CGC 7.5.  The same with the Promise copy of Suspense 8 since this is the single only copy to grade higher than CGC 7.5 since they first opened their doors way back in 2000, so I highly doubt the sale of this now highest graded copy will bring prices down for the other copies below it.  O.o

My bet is that any collector holding onto HG copies of either of these two books here or any other HTF HG GA book that very seldom ever comes to market will be waiting with great anticiaption to see where the Promise Collection copy of there book finishes up at, knowing full well that you need to have actual sales activity and pricing action on a book in order to have increasing values going forward.  hm  (thumbsu  

6 hours ago, tth2 said:
10 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

The supply of high-grade books in increasing, and an increase in supply doesn't usually lead to higher prices; the opposite is usually true (at least according to what my Econ prof taught me back in college).

Your Econ prof has clearly never met collectors of Hulk 181, TMNT 1, etc.

Yes, let's think about this a bit here............hmmmmmmmm.  hm

CGC 9.6 graded copies of TMNT 1 were selling in the very high teens and low $20K's from about 2018 through to the start of 2020.  Then there was a slew of sales in both grades lower than this right through to CGC 9.8's which surely should have brought the price crashing down if your supply side analysis is indeed correct.  And yet instead, we see a CGC 9.6 graded copy sell for $66K at HA back on April 1st, only to be followed very shortly by a sale of another CGC 9.6 copy at CC for $88K only 2 short weeks after that.  :whatthe:

Or are you really trying to convince us that if the supply was kept low through no intervening sales from 2019 through to 2021, the price would have jumped from the high teens/low $20K's all the way into say 6-figures on just one transaction alone without any intervening supporting sales to confirm and acclerate the price movement trend upwards?   :facepalm:

16 hours ago, MattTheDuck said:

To really impact prices, however, the increase in supply has to satisfy most or all of the demand.  I doubt having an extra copy or three of a widely sought-after HG GA book is going to satisfy demand.  Now if the Promise Collection consisted of 5,000 9.6 copies of the same book, it might impact pricing.

yeah, that's not how it works 

3 hours ago, Timely said:

There is fierce competition at that very top level with top collectors jockeying for position to claim that top honor, to get those registry points... to be #1! 

I'm surprised to read this. I'd be more inclined to believe that sort of motivation exists for Bronze or Silver Age enthusiasts, so too chasers of Moderns and variants. Are you saying it's fairly prevalent with Golden Age collectors as well?

I've never even looked at top registry sets for GA...  hm

3 hours ago, Timely said:

I’m not sure I’m getting my point across. It’s not about having another high grade copy out there, it’s about a new copy being crowned as the highest graded copy and what impact it has on the former highest graded copy. 

There is fierce competition at that very top level with top collectors jockeying for position to claim that top honor, to get those registry points... to be #1! 

I know a lot of these collectors, they press their books, not for financial gain, as they’ll never sell (unless a better copy becomes available), but because they want to remain at the top of the census!

These guys will pay an extra 20-50% to get that highest graded copy. If that copy is now the 2nd best, that money goes right out the window.

This is very true. Many of those collectors have lost money in this hobby.

Edited by clarkkentdds