• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

17 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I would not be shocked to see an average over $10K each (some much higher, some lower).  I think the avg. price per book will exceed the BW despite the absence of the mega-keys.

Speaking of which, am I dreaming or wasn't there a CA 1?  What happened to it.

Probably next auction, no dream..I think it was a 3.5...should be a great book to get for anyone looking for a copy of Cap 1 in that grade range.

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I know an older local guy (early 80’s) that I met many years ago in a used book store with a jaw dropping collection. 

He started buying off the stands around 1941-1942. He continued until the late 70’s. He would also buy at garage sales, used book stores  and even early mail order. Never been to a con or used the internet. 

He has an Action #1, Bat #1, Cap #1 and tons of others. I remember him showing me a long run of very pretty Marvel Mystery once. 

Lives alone in a house full of paper. Amazing guy. A bit of a hermit and likes it that way. He was a doctor and has plenty of money. He won’t sell any but will occasionally trade me Overstreet for Overstreet (with a little bump for himself). 

I would love to see it all but he is real secretive. Someday, this collection will come to market. 

That is a great story, Bob.  Did you ever do business with Jerry Buss (another doctor and, I think, comic collector in LA)?

Edited by sfcityduck

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Probably next auction, no dream..I think it was a 3.5...should be a great book to get for anyone looking for a copy of Cap 1 in that grade range.

To bad that book is not in this auction.  It is the only book that would get a bounce solely because of the story, and the only book that wouldn't attract the top of census chasers, so it might go for a decent price at this point.

Just now, Robot Man said:

No, never met him. I did go to Nick Cage’s house, Billy Mumy’s place as well as Walter Koneg from Star Trek.

Funny no matter how wealthy or famous we are all geeks when it comes to collecting. 

Cool!  Just curious, my best work friend is deeply involved in the Lakers and my recollection is that Jerry Buss once owned the Mile High Planets, but sold out when he hit a patch of financial troubles.  I'm just curious of anyone ever came across him as a collector.  Cage used to live here in SF (post-fame, obviously he grew up here but I did not) and I ran across him a few times (not comic related).  I used to get bumped to the front of the line at a few local Indian restaurants.  Never understood why.  My friends thought it was because I had a vague resemblance to Cage (long since gone with my hair).

10 hours ago, D84 said:

Here's a question: if it's an inherited collection, is it still original owner?

The Promise Collection is twice inherited.  Chinatown was once inherited and then sold to a dealer.

Is anyone else shocked that this book is leading AA 61 and PL 17?

Marvel Spotlight #5 Ghost Rider (Marvel, 1972) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/marvel-spotlight-5-ghost-rider-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91011.s

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Is anyone else shocked that this book is leading AA 61 and PL 17?

Marvel Spotlight #5 Ghost Rider (Marvel, 1972) CGC NM/MT 9.8 White pages.... https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/superhero/marvel-spotlight-5-ghost-rider-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91011.s

Not really. Honestly, I would take the MS5 over the PL17. :whatthe:

31 minutes ago, Bronty said:
1 hour ago, october said:

Not really. Honestly, I would take the MS5 over the PL17. :whatthe:

wow not me.    I can't believe that's even a discussion, but I guess it is.

PL17 isn't one that I would prefer the MS 5 over. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Regarding the Promise 9.6s on Heritage, Tec 140 has a lot going for it compared to PL17 and AA61, easily more than enough to tip the scales.  The Riddler is the last of the major Batman villains to be introduced in the GA, a significant event in and of itself.  The fact that it is the first of only two GA appearances of the Riddler makes this book more important, not less, in light of how important the Riddler has become in Batman lore.  On top of all that, the Riddler is the first Batman villain to appear on the cover of his first appearance book, distinguishing him from the Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, etc.  That's a big deal, whether or not you display your books.  So Tec 140 is like IH#1, where the Hulk was the first Marvel superhero to feature in a title named after the character itself, before even Spidey, Thor, Iron-Man, etc.   An extra bonus is that Tec 140 also includes the Riddler's origin  (so intro, Riddler on cover, and origin all in one).  And that completely yellow cover is not only tough in grade, but about as classic as it gets, too.   

Someone brought up relative census. FWIW, there are seven PH17s in 8.5 and above compared to only six for Tec 140.  AA61 has five.

Edited by Pantodude

And don’t get me wrong PL is a third rate (or fourth rate) superhero too, but a hg PL17 is a unicorn.    MS5 even in hg is only a unicorn if you have to have 9.8 and 9.2/4/6 won’t do.

The PL is the best copy of the best book of the entire good girl genre , at least to me.   Vs a Bronze Age marvel. 

But I guess you can’t speculate on PL 17 the same way.   Just makes my head shake with where the market is at these days

Edited by Bronty