• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, szav said:

The apparent absence of Seven Seas 4 and 6 is puzzling and disappointing too.  Wouldn’t claim anyone at HA got a hold of them but it seems possible they were plucked at some point.  Or who knows, maybe they never made it to the stands near the OO for whatever reason.

The CA 1 was actually up on Heritage for the blink of an eye.  

On 6/9/2021 at 8:11 PM, LordRahl said:

The second one was graded Sep 2014 so def been around a while.

Thank you. Thought it might have been, but wasn't sure.

The 8.5 Tec 27 is definitely newer though (as in it was graded after the $1.5mil sale of the 7.0 copy)

On 6/9/2021 at 1:24 PM, lou_fine said:

Although Ed and Lon did mentioned a Batman 1, they were certainly not jumping up and down which they certainly would have been doing if it was anywhere close to coming in at a CGC 9.2 grade.  (shrug)

Agreed. Also towards the end of the HA.com FB preview, they state how to email RobertW for a comp copy of the first Promise Pedigree HA.com catalog:

On 6/10/2021 at 6:56 AM, sfcityduck said:
On 6/10/2021 at 6:40 AM, buttock said:

They're not Promises.  There's an even bigger book that's going to pop up from that submission that everyone is going to wet their pants about.  

Just a guess, but is it in this picture?

More importantly, is it in this picture?

Hello Pal Comics #1 - Version 2: Containing Information Relative to the Brewing of Beer, Making of Bread, Keeping of Cows, Pigs, Bees, Ewes, Goats, Poultry ... of the Affairs of a Labourer's Family by [Harvey Comics]

4 hours ago, szav said:

The apparent absence of Seven Seas 4 and 6 is puzzling and disappointing too.  

Well, it's quite possible that they might be part of the other 4,700+ books that's going to be coming out in future auctions.  hm  (shrug)

Especially since they just might want to leave some quality in-demand books like the Suspense run as highlights for some of their upcoming auctions.  :taptaptap:

11 minutes ago, szav said:

It was confirmed by a little birdie that they're definitely not in the collection.

Well, I PROMISE to offer Heritage my own personal copy of Seven Seas 4 for auction if they PROMISE me to include it as part of the Promise Collection books up for auction.  :wink:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

On 6/9/2021 at 4:07 PM, DanCooper said:
On 6/9/2021 at 3:34 PM, Dr. Love said:

saw the Torch on the table, found out the only recent high grade was a 9.8 graded last week

image.thumb.png.3e14f726995ced47da3fa2ff02117167.png

Yes, definitely noticed this book right away and a bit surprised to finally see a copy in a CGC 9.8 graded and slabbbed holder.  :luhv:

Wonder how it's going to stack up visually against all of the other HG slabbed copies as this robot cover must have been a favorite for collectors to keep back in the day as there's now already 17 copies of this issue in CGC 9.0 and above, which is rather surprisingly high for a GA book.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

15 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Agreed. Also towards the end of the HA.com FB preview, they state how to email RobertW for a comp copy of the first Promise Pedigree HA.com catalog:

This collection really does look amazing. Just listen to these two guys as they describe going through the boxes. Guys who have handled some of the coolest books ever and they are giggling like fan boys when they discover a key in a stack. How many of us wish we could have been a fly on that wall? 

17 hours ago, aardvark88 said:

Also towards the end of the HA.com FB preview, they state how to email RobertW for a comp copy of the first Promise Pedigree HA.com catalog:

Well, I hope everybody here has a copy of their Promise Collection auction catalog by now.  (thumbsu

I hope they didn't have to pay any money to the printer or shipper who was responsible for shipping their catlogs out to them.  Certainly nowhere close to being in 9.8 condition as this is by far the absolute worst shape any of my auction catalogs have arrived at my place in the past 20 years.  From the pictures of the catalogs posted here so far, it looks like probably most of them arrived in this terrible shape.  Especially since even my better half thought it was meant for the recycle box and started to head that way with it after seeing it on our sofa.  lol  

On 6/6/2021 at 8:08 AM, drbanner said:

The Promise books are museum pieces that will sell for crazy money, but I’d bank on the broad silver/bronze market over the long run moving forward.

Well, how about the short term going into next week as this is now the last weekend before the big big auction here?  hm

Looks like at this current point in time bertween these 3 big books here (i.e. excluding 'Tec 140 since it looks like the runaway winner for now), we still have Marvel Spotlight 5 in lead at $80K before the BP and now coming fast in behind is All-American 61 at $75K before the BP, leaving PL 17 behind in the dust for now as she's still stuck at only $62.5K before BP.  :popcorn:

Any updated guesses as to the price range where these 3 big books will finish up at by the time it's all said and done here at the same time next week, or on which one of these 3 will finish up on top at least?  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

24 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I hope everybody here has a copy of their Promise Collection auction catalog by now.  (thumbsu

I hope they didn't have to pay any money to the printer or shipper who was responsible for shipping their catlogs out to them.  Certainly nowhere close to being in 9.8 condition as this is by far the absolute worst shape any of my auction catalogs have arrived at my place in the past 20 years.  From the pictures of the catalogs posted here so far, it looks like probably most of them arrived in this terrible shape.  Especially since even my better half thought it was meant for the recycle box and started to head that way with it after seeing it on our sofa.  lol  

NO BETTER HALF WOULD DO SUCH A THING

5 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

NO BETTER HALF WOULD DO SUCH A THING

Well, she was in the process of cleaning up and it was based upon the condition of the book, as she did not even noticed the content or the covers.  :/

Now, if the front cover of the catalog was a full frontal shot of either PL 17 or PL 23, I am sure she would have noticed.  lol

Well, at least she hasn't done that with any of my other comic book auction catalogues yet and I have them all packed in boxes (hoarder style :facepalm:) dating back to the first Sotheby's one in the early 90's.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, how about the short term going into next week as this is now the last weekend before the big big auction here?  hm

Looks like at this current point in time bertween these 3 big books here (i.e. excluding 'Tec 140 since it looks like the runaway winner for now), we still have Marvel Spotlight 5 in lead at $80K before the BP and now coming fast in behind is All-American 61 at $75K before the BP, leaving PL 17 behind in the dust for now as she's still stuck at only $62.5K before BP.  :popcorn:

Any updated guesses as to the price range where these 3 big books will finish up at by the time it's all said and done here at the same time next week, or on which one of these 3 will finish up on top at least?  :taptaptap:

Tec #140 200K, PL 17 125K, MS 105K, AA61 100K.

28 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

Tec #140 200K, PL 17 125K, MS 105K, AA61 100K.

Is this before the BP juice has been added in, because if your figures are alreading including the 20% BP, then it looks like both the AA 61 and MS 5 are pretty much close to being done for the count (which I would personally doubt) with about a week still to go?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

50 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Is this before the BP juice has been added in, because if your figures are alreading including the 20% BP, then it looks like both the AA 61 and MS 5 are pretty much close to being done for the count (which I would personally doubt) with about a week still to go?  hm

plus BP I see the Tech 140  at about 2400250K end price and PF 17 at at least 150K when all fees are added in.

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

plus BP I see the Tech 140  at about 2400250K end price and PF 17 at at least 150K when all fees are added in.

That makes sense then if you still have to add in the 20% BP on top of your original numbers there.  (thumbsu

For me, I see the 'Tec 140 around $250K all in, the PL 17 at $150K to $175K since it's been an all-time classic cover ever since the Overstreet's been around, about $125K to $150K for the AA 61 since it's a more recent classic cover for the past 20 years (probably closer to $125K because of the Church 9.8 graded copy out there), and who knows with the MS 5 but I would say maybe $125K.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

And then yet, all 4 of these combined will still not be able to beat the X-Men 1 in CGC 9.6 graded condtion that CC has in their currrent Event Auction which might end up in the $800K range or thereabouts by the time it's all said and done: :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919592

x-m1.21697_4.jpg

Definitely not so sure about this myself, but I would probably take those 4 books for my own personal collection, as opposed to just this one single copy of XM 1 here.  (shrug)

What say the rest of you here on this lazy hazy crazy day of summer?  hm

Edited by lou_fine