• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:
5 hours ago, tth2 said:

There's a forum called the Water Cooler and a thread there called the $500 Gold thread in which we discuss finance and investment. 

The only problem with the Water Cooler is that it's clearly a place for boardies and Mods who have an absolutely negative sense of humor because every time I venture over there, I end up being banished to the CGC sin bin to cool my heels and to reassess the way I think.  (tsk) :mad:  :censored:

Mods notified.

13 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Please quit posting stuff like this.  Do you have any idea how much Depends cost?  Do you want me to ruin every pair of underwear I own?

Well, I hope you went shopping and loaded up on your supply of Depends this past weekend because you only have another 2 days to go now before you start putting them to good use with both the Heritage Signature/Promise Auctions this week and then the CC Event Auction next week.  lol

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I hope you went shopping and loaded up on your supply of Depends this past weekend because you only have another 2 days to go now before you start putting them to good use with both the Heritage Signature/Promise Auctions this week and then the CC Event Auction next week.  lol

All I can say is thanks to Costco

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I had a  interesting debate with a non-board member old time GA comic book collector about whether or not you should buy a  promise book at a premium or say 2/3  lower graded GA books for the same price. I told him buy the book and the pedigree, possibly the highest graded copy available as you always buy quality over quantity. But it not just this factor. The main argument I see is future availability. They will always be "good deal" out there for 2/3 lower graded GA books whether or E-Bay, CC, HA,  or Gator or Bedrock etc. But a lot of these Promise books are not replaceable...for any price...once they get scooped up by Whale, or long term collectors either on the initial offerings or when it comes to market for the first time resale. We agreed to disagree but he admitted that I gave the stronger argument on this. In two days or so, we TCBC should be paying attention to see how the GA comic book market reacts the Promise collection".

It is not about just a "good deal "...but should be about the GA BOOK itself, with pedigree even better, highest graded making it the best.

Edited by Mmehdy

17 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Pretty much an armpit over there. Lot of know it alls and trolls. I try my best to stay away as much as possible...

...at least until another anti-Astros video hits the inter-webs.

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

The only problem with the Water Cooler is that it's clearly a place for boardies and Mods who have an absolutely negative sense of humor because every time I venture over there, I end up being banished to the CGC sin bin to cool my heels and to reassess the way I think.  (tsk) :mad:  :censored:

My husband always say  I have no sense of humor because the 40th time I listen to the same joke, I don't laugh.

So I can assure you he agrees;) 

However, EVERYONE else is a riot of laughs!

They must think your name is funny or something and it stands out;)

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I had a  interesting debate with a non-board member old time GA comic book collector about whether or not you should buy a  promise book at a premium or say 2/3  lower graded GA books for the same price. I told him buy the book and the pedigree, possibly the highest graded copy available as you always buy quality over quantity. But it not just this factor. The main argument I see is future availability. They will always be "good deal" out there for 2/3 lower graded GA books whether or E-Bay, CC, HA,  or Gator or Bedrock etc. But a lot of these Promise books are not replaceable...for any price...once they get scooped up by Whale, or long term collectors either on the initial offerings or when it comes to market for the first time resale. We agreed to disagree but he admitted that I gave the stronger argument on this. In two days or so, we TCBC should be paying attention to see how the GA comic book market reacts the Promise collection".

It is not about just a "good deal "...but should be about the GA BOOK itself, with pedigree even better, highest graded making it the best.

So you told Theo to go for a Promise book? I believe if you buy a Promise book today, you are buying at a 5 year peak of hype right now. I suspect Promise books that are resold in the next 2 years will go for less than they do this week. It is an amazing collection for sure... But you might be paying a premium for the hype. Just my two cents... but what do I know...

3 hours ago, clarkkentdds said:

So you told Theo to go for a Promise book? I believe if you buy a Promise book today, you are buying at a 5 year peak of hype right now. I suspect Promise books that are resold in the next 2 years will go for less than they do this week. It is an amazing collection for sure... But you might be paying a premium for the hype. Just my two cents... but what do I know...

I dunno.  Whoever is buying now, it’s to add this ped to a long-term PC.   To be resold in a year or two, presumably such a buyer would need to fetch a significant premium or otherwise won’t be interested in selling a non-generic item like this at loss.  And if it’s an investor instead of a collector buying this ped today, that’s a lot of money for a short-term flip.  I would think such an investor would have a longer hold in mind.  Just my 2c

Edited by Pantodude
typo

As expected, current Heritage auction leaders are Tec27 5.0 at $690K and AC1 Conserved 5.5 at $408K, but also Tec140 9.6 at $168K (this bid hasn't changed much in days).  Interesting developments after those top three!   A resurgent MS5 9.8 is next now at $138K, and then PL17 9.6 at $102K rounds out the top 5 in the auctions ending in the next 2-3 days.  [There is an XM1 SS 9.0 already at $132K, but that's in a later auction concluding in 11 days.]  

Next are books that ultimately could (should?) join them in the $100K+ club:   AA61 9.6 at $90K, Mask1 8.5 at $79K, FF48 9.8 at $75K, Tec114 9.8 at $75K, and AF15 6.0 at $66K.  

Edited by Pantodude

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:

A resurgent MS5 9.8 is next now at $138K,

Still rising as it's now at $150K with the BP juice which from my own personal point of view is an absolutely stunning price for a book with a clearly misaligned front cover:  :whatthe:  :p

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/marvel-spotlight-5-ghost-rider-marvel-1972-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7244-91011.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B2%2F4%2F0%2F7%2F5%2F24075926%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

I bet you all of the long time comic book collectors from way back in the day are hoping a rising tide can lift all boats and they can finally recoup the money which they had to pay for their HG copies back then.  :applause:

So far, FF4 9.8 (1 day left) and Mask1 8.5 (2 days left) remain at about $79K, and it's looking like the AF15 6.0 (2 days left) at $66K is going unnoticed.  A potential steal...but unlikely it slips through the cracks, what w/ 369 folks tracking the AF15!   :popcorn:

Edited by Pantodude

It will be interesting to see tomorrow the "reverse Promise collection effect". The Top GA comics go first, and even thought a number of  Promise books should be included in the Thursday's  "Whale" sale, they were held out. They created a separate auction and catalog  I got an e-mail and a phone call from CC regarding  their upcoming auction, and that is rare to get both and I am wondering if they are also feeling the effects from   the Promise Collection in amount of auction traffic, which is done by amazing analytics, broken down by county, state, city etc...the big auction houses have real time tracking of activity in ways you could only dream of. My source is from directly  one auction houses.

If  some effects that are felt and recognized  you are gonna have to factor that in,not just for this auction but every one in the next 18 months.

Edited by Mmehdy

33 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

It will be interesting to see tomorrow the "reverse Promise collection effect". The Top GA comics go first, and even thought a number of  Promise books should be included in the Thursday's  "Whale" sale, they were held out. They created a separate auction and catalog  I got an e-mail and a phone call from CC regarding  their upcoming auction, and that is rare to get both and I am wondering if they are also feeling the effects from   the Promise Collection in amount of auction traffic, which is done by amazing analytics, broken down by county, state, city etc...the big auction houses have real time tracking of activity in ways you could only dream of. My source is from directly  one auction houses.

If  some effects that are felt and recognized  you are gonna have to factor that in,not just for this auction but every one in the next 18 months.

:gossip: I don’t know of a single modern business that doesn’t track those statistics and if that is all they are tracking that you mentioned, they are WAY behind the curve. 

48 minutes ago, szav said:

I hope the amazing analytics that CC utilizes will eventually point them in the direction of fixing their now craptastic website ... they might not need to pay people to make physical phone calls if they took care of that first...

I suggested many years ago,to have CC and CL use the HA.Com website for small fee, and yet it remains the same. I find the timing, just before the big Ha.com auction of these contacts from CC seem to be trying to take away some steam from Ha.com upcoming auction. In the future a good strategy for CC as Ha has become the 800 pound gorilla is to avoid the Signature auctions which are every two months, and do those auctions on the off months to generate more interest, especially the next 18 months with the Promise collection being sold.

40 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

:gossip: I don’t know of a single modern business that doesn’t track those statistics and if that is all they are tracking that you mentioned, they are WAY behind the curve. 

Without mentioning names, nobody can top Ha on tracking, its like David vs Goliath. I have specific  E-mails directed from my profile to send me recommendations based upon my past buying and current surfing of their website. The so called others track the data but nothing close approaching Ha use of that information.

Edited by Mmehdy