• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

It wouldn't surprise me if this Tec140, which remains uber relevant due to Batman's enduring pop culture presence, reaches 300K, TBH.  I have no comment on the other GA goodies.  

But i think you are understating MS5, which reached almost $50K in 9.8 way back in 2016(!).  If it "only" tripled since then, that would be $150K.  The greater than 3x multiples by other BA megakeys like GSXM1, WBN32, IH181, etc., since 2016 suggest to the moon with MS5 in 9.8, with only four on the census.   The Copper Age key TMNT#1 sold for $90K in 2019 (more than 3x 2016 value), and TMNT1 has many more 9.8s than MS5.  And MS5 is an older, more popular key than TMNT1.  The fact that the X-Men 1 in 9.6 (with four 9.6s on the census and two higher in 9.8) is already at $592K on CC also suggests that this MS5 in 9.8 (1 of only 4) could go much higher.   While all this suggests that MS5 should go way higher than $125K, that assumes sanity and rationality in this market.  (:  So I'm not betting nuttin' except the lint in my pockets.   (thumbsu

Edited by Pantodude

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That makes sense then if you still have to add in the 20% BP on top of your original numbers there.  (thumbsu

For me, I see the 'Tec 140 around $250K all in, the PL 17 at $150K to $175K since it's been an all-time classic cover ever since the Overstreet's been around, about $125K to $150K for the AA 61 since it's a more recent classic cover for the past 20 years (probably closer to $125K because of the Church 9.8 graded copy out there), and who knows with the MS 5 but I would say maybe $125K.:popcorn:  :taptaptap:

And then yet, all 4 of these combined will still not be able to beat the X-Men 1 in CGC 9.6 graded condtion that CC has in their currrent Event Auction which might end up in the $800K range or thereabouts by the time it's all said and done: :applause:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/919592

x-m1.21697_4.jpg

Definitely not so sure about this myself, but I would probably take those 4 books for my own personal collection, as opposed to just this one single copy of XM 1 here.  (shrug)

What say the rest of you here on this lazy hazy crazy day of summer?  hm

I'm thinking you've estimated a bit low on the AA 61 .... but regardless, your either/or scenario is intriguing. I would have a hard time choosing, as the 9.8 XM 1's are Pacific Coasts, if I'm not mistaken, with that washed out pale green color strike, so this 9.6 is certainly the prettiest known copy... it's a prize for sure... but the group of GA books ? ...wow. Tec 140 is a historic key, but it never really grabbed me, but AA 61 and PL 17 more than make up for it. Tough choice, Now if it was an FF 1 in 9.6... my choice would be easier. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

1 hour ago, jimjum12 said:

I'm thinking you've estimated a bit low on the AA 61 .... but regardless, your either/or scenario is intriguing. I would have a hard time choosing, as the 9.8 XM 1's are Pacific Coasts, if I'm not mistaken, with that washed out pale green color strike, so this 9.6 is certainly the prettiest known copy...

One of the 9.8 X-Men 1s is the Pacific Coast copy, upgraded from its original 9.6 grade.  The other is the Curator copy, which was graded as a 9.8 the first time it was submitted, and described by the owner as "bone white".

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

One of the 9.8 X-Men 1s is the Pacific Coast copy, upgraded from its original 9.6 grade.  The other is the Curator copy, which was graded as a 9.8 the first time it was submitted, and described by the owner as "bone white".

I held both side by side. I owned the PC copy that was upgraded, there is a second. The Curator is a much better 9.8 copy, IMHO!

GA goodies might sweep the medals podium?  They are the real unicorns here, after all.  TEC140 9.6 strong out of the gate.  PL17 9.6 caught up to MS5 9.8, both at 96k.  AA61 9.6 now at 90k, so right there. As someone noted above, Mask #1 8.5 is making some noise, too, now at 79k.   It’s been years since we saw an MS5 sell in that grade, so it should do well compared to other BA/CA keys, but the TEC140, PL17, and Mask1 are the highest graded.  There is one 9.8 out there for the AA61, but it’s still a unicorn at 9.6.  

Edited by Pantodude
Format

11 hours ago, szav said:

And just like that the Mask 1 CGC inserts itself into the conversation, now up over 75k w/bp.  Is it another book destined to break 100k? 

I wonder how the Church 9.4 with a small amount of color touch would grade if CGC did one of it's scrape jobs on it (not that I think the current owner would do that, and not that I advocate that, in fact I hate everything about that)...but wasnt the CT done to Church books usually really small?  Would that copy still grade 8,5 or better?  I'm guessing it might.  Maybe one day CGC will decide to the right thing and regrade these books that only have small or minor CT, as if they had tiny stains, or just give them the grades they would get as if the CT was scraped off, but without actually desecrating the books, and put them in blue holders with a label note about the CT.

I’m intrigued by the Mask1 in this race, too.   A dark horse?  That blue/universal 8.5, barely a “high” grade in some folks’ view, is the sole highest graded. While it’s “only” an 8.5, the next highest graded blue is a mid-grade (itself a sole 7.5)!  Owning not only the highest graded, but also the sole high grade blue example of a GA goodie like that, with the Promise ped to boot!  If I were a betting man....

Edited by Pantodude

20 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Surprised no mention of the Detective 69 sitting at $50k with the juice.  I think it will still tick up higher.

I think folks were speculating on the medal/podium contenders or the $100K+ candidates.  You think this too will crack 100K?  There is a 9.6 out there, and two other 9.0s, but  then again a 6.5 went for almost $30K last year, so....    

1 minute ago, Pantodude said:

I think folks were speculating on the medal/podium contenders or the $100K+ candidates.  You think this too will crack 100K?  There is a 9.6 out there, and two other 9.0s, but  then again a 6.5 went for almost $30K last year, so....    

I suspect it will go higher but not sure if it crosses $100k but it is definitely a contender.

I was initially looking at only the podium contenders for highest haul, but $100K+ contenders would have to include the AF15 6.0, currently at 66K on HA.   In April, a 6.0 sold for $96K and a 6.5 hit $125K.  And just on 5/28, an 8.0 sold for $300K on the CL Exch.  The X-Men #1 9.0 SS will also likely surpass $100K, since a non-SS 9.0 sold in March for $95K.  But who knows.   

[Of course, the Tec 27 blue 5.0 and AC1 conserved 5.5 will split the gold and silver medals for tops overall.]

Edited by Pantodude

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think 2 or 3 Timelies will cross $100k. A couple more will hit $50k, and 5 or 6 will get to $30k.  Actually, I hope I’m wrong 

It is going to be very interesting to see if the first auction floor price...holds for the second or explodes up. I would guess the longer the collection is out there the more potential buyer for these books will be alerted. I think the under copies could be under the "radar" at least in terms of this auction and especially the Sunday auctions with a seven day timeframe. In the long run we will look back as GA collectors and say, like I did on the SF,Church collections that we should of bought more.

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I think 2 or 3 Timelies will cross $100k. A couple more will hit $50k, and 5 or 6 will get to $30k.  Actually, I hope I’m wrong 

sadly for buyers, I think you are right  (but good for the seller) 

33 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

It is going to be very interesting to see if the first auction floor price...holds for the second or explodes up. I would guess the longer the collection is out there the more potential buyer for these books will be alerted. I think the under copies could be under the "radar" at least in terms of this auction and especially the Sunday auctions with a seven day timeframe. In the long run we will look back as GA collectors and say, like I did on the SF,Church collections that we should of bought more.

I would have loved to buy more SF books. I would travel up to the Bay Area from LA and found Mr. Beerbong would sell me no more than 3 per trip...:sorry:

6 hours ago, Pantodude said:
6 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Surprised no mention of the Detective 69 sitting at $50k with the juice.  I think it will still tick up higher.

I think folks were speculating on the medal/podium contenders or the $100K+ candidates.  You think this too will crack 100K?  There is a 9.6 out there

belongs to Eric Roberts