• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

On 6/8/2021 at 4:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Too bad those post-date the end of the collection by a few years.  But, you can really score on all those 1943 to 1950 covers!  What are they of again?

More_Fun_110_CGC_Front.jpg.f5ce0c620965db1a06313b82e1271bc2.jpg

3 hours ago, Pantodude said:

After the Tec27 and AC1, TEC 140 comfortably next at $168K, followed by XM1 9.0 SS at $102K, PL17 at $99K, MS5 at $96K, AA61 at $90K, and Mask1 at $79K.  With 3-4 days to go (depending on book).  It ain't over until the phat lady sings!

The only one of this group that I am rather shocked at in terms of pricing at this point is the Mask 1 at $79K.  :whatthe:

I guess we also shouldn't forget about FF 48 which is spprinting close behind this group right at $75K for now.  (thumbsu

BTW:  Is there a simple and fast way to sort the HA auction results by say highest prices first like what they have for the CC Event Auctions?  ???

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

And then, for the past 9 months, with the printing presses in overdrive, I just went full uber-bullish on everything, levering up and buying stocks, crypto & collectibles,

Being the resident Wall Street financial expert here, I greatly appreciate your feedback here since you haven't been posting here as often in the comics related threads as compared to before.  (thumbsu

From a pure financial equities point of view, can you explain why Pfizer has been stuck in this whole $30 to $40 price range throughout this whole pandemic, with a return of probably less than 10% ever since the start of the Coronavirus.  If there was any company that should be benefitting from this situation, I thought it would have been Pfizer with the billions and billions of vaccines that they are going to be selling going forward.  Of course, they do have a huge market cap, but shouldn't these vaccines be jacking up both their top and bottom lines big time?  ???

9 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I had a small stack of Bronze Age keys that weren't really worth it to me to sell at pre-2021 prices, but, 2 or 3 of them are hitting the auction block in September with prices up hundreds of percent since I last checked them (not providing any details at this time, want to keep expectations fresh when they hit the market)!  

So, even with your big pending June sale of Marvel Spotlight 5, you are not satisfied and planning to unload more in the next September auction? :wink:

I guess no plans to pick up any of those oldy moldy Promise Collection books or a new younger and hipper generational favorite like Transformers 1 for say $50K?  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, delekkerste said:

I've been generally positive on risk assets since the fall of 2019 when the Fed re-started the printing presses to keep the financial system from falling apart with the repo market going haywire. And then, for the past 9 months, with the printing presses in overdrive, I just went full uber-bullish on everything, levering up and buying stocks, crypto & collectibles, realizing that there's just no putting the money printing genie back in the bottle and that liquidity + FOMO had/is/will untether asset prices from all known historical norms, which is pretty much exactly what has happened.  

That said, comic book prices have gotten so nutty this year that I recently went through my collection to see what I had left to sell (I sold most of my better books about a decade ago). I had a small stack of Bronze Age keys that weren't really worth it to me to sell at pre-2021 prices, but, 2 or 3 of them are hitting the auction block in September with prices up hundreds of percent since I last checked them (not providing any details at this time, want to keep expectations fresh when they hit the market)!  

Well, it kind of dammed if you do and dammed if you don't situation. The financial news  articles recently indicate our inflation rate is at 5%...which means for every $100 you have in the bank you lose $5 or 5% value by the end of the year. On the street, you and I are aware that the real inflation rate is much higher, especially in housing, new cars, and especially  restaurants. If you buy GA and they go up 10% you are ahead of the game. During inflation, hard assets are must to preserve value. I think taking you economic assessment going forward with it, I would be safest to invest in  highest graded, blue label GA..and if you can afford it, pedigreed books such as Church, SF, AND Promise. Due to high grade GA's rarity, it provides a extra safety buffer compared to some of these hundreds or thousands of copy Bronze or what ever books. Cong on calling the uptick in asset prices, I for one did not, but if everyone did, then it would be no surprise and the you  way explain it and basing it on the money supply makes it very easy to comprehend. 

Edited by Mmehdy

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you think that Silver Surfer 4 is a non-key book that has no right to be sitting up there at $56K with still days to go, then I can't imagine what you must think about this truly even more non-key mid-run even later Silver Surfer 9 with an absolutely terrible non-classic cover :p that still managed to fetched an astounding $42K in the February CL Featured Auction:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :screwy:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1461387#detail

00065472398000113731992010.jpg

At least the Surfer 4 has ALWAYS been acknowledged as having one of the absolute best and most classic SA covers out there, and hence Iwould tend to agree with @tth2  post here:  (thumbsu

BTW:  Since you know him, any idea what our resident Wall Street whiz kid ( i.e. @delekkerste ) thinks about all of this apparent FOMO driven and crypto-like craziness that's taken hold of our comic book marketplace, especially in terms of his former beloved BA and CA books which he used to be really into before getting into his boring and much more niche original art?  hm

A Surfer #9 went for how much? Madness!!! And I'm not being sarcastic, that is absolute madness. The only thing I can think of is that one hasn't come up for sale for a few years and 2 guys have been waiting to complete their 9.8 set or something. There are 5 in 9.8 which isn't a lot, I'm sure mostly because it's not a high profile book, and I can see one not coming up for a few years. Paying $42K even in that instance is still madness though IMO. 

I'm relatively certain Tim was being sarcastic in his comment on SS4 though. No debate that it is an all-time classic cover but I have to think that thing will finish upwards of $60K and that kind of money has typically been reserved for keys, at least when it comes to Silver and later.

I don't know delekkerste outside of this board and I don't see him post much although I've not been on the boards in the last year or so but I imagine he thinks people have done lost their damn minds. I kind of think that and he is much, much more pessimistic than me on comic values in the future.

39 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I for one did not, but if everyone did, then it would be no surprise and the you  way explain it and basing it on the money supply makes it very easy to comprehend. 

Inflation is always and everywhere a monetary phenomenon

29 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

A Surfer #9 went for how much? Madness!!! And I'm not being sarcastic, that is absolute madness. The only thing I can think of is that one hasn't come up for sale for a few years and 2 guys have been waiting to complete their 9.8 set or something. There are 5 in 9.8 which isn't a lot, I'm sure mostly because it's not a high profile book, and I can see one not coming up for a few years. Paying $42K even in that instance is still madness though IMO. 

Absolutely NOT as it's totally sane and rational to me when compared to this Transformers 1 that sold for a crazed and rabid $44K and probably a book that was simply pulled out from the loonie box:  :screwy:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1452303#detail

00063922399000111127459004.jpg

Especially since grading is still not an exact science and really nothing more than a subjective opinion (albeit a so-called expert one) when a book crosses the grader's table. hm

Look at all of the fun and games that you've been missing on the boards here during your 1-year absence, especially the absolute craziness that we've seen during the past few months.  O.o

On 6/11/2021 at 3:47 PM, Mmehdy said:

The book that most impressed me the most in the video conference  was the "last issue " of "Phantom Lady"....WOW!...what a book.....

I did my daily search on the promise collection looking for bargains (go to promise collection on ha website and chose lowest priced) and still see number of books below guide or close to guide. I think the good deals are the "true crime annual"...the lowest priced "promise books" way below guide. I also like the Saint#3, Marvel Tales and especially the Amazing Mystery #33 in ultra rare condition-see the write up on HA and these will have the advantage of being at the end of the auction fast internet section after a lot of collectors have bought on the early sessions.

Edited by Mmehdy

2 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I did my daily search on the promise collection looking for bargains (go to promise collection on ha website and chose lowest priced) and still see number of books below guide or close to guide. I think the good deals are the "true crime annual"...the lowest priced "promise books" way below guide. I also like the Saint#3, Marvel Tales and especially the Amazing Mystery #33 in ultra rare condition-see the write up on HA and these will have the advantage of being at the end of the auction fast internet section after a lot of collectors have bought on the early sessions.

I was kind of hoping the books you mentioned stay under the radar. I am a buyer if they go low. Really pretty books.

7 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being the resident Wall Street financial expert here, I greatly appreciate your feedback here since you haven't been posting here as often in the comics related threads as compared to before.  (thumbsu

From a pure financial equities point of view, can you explain why Pfizer has been stuck in this whole $30 to $40 price range throughout this whole pandemic, with a return of probably less than 10% ever since the start of the Coronavirus.  If there was any company that should be benefitting from this situation, I thought it would have been Pfizer with the billions and billions of vaccines that they are going to be selling going forward.  Of course, they do have a huge market cap, but shouldn't these vaccines be jacking up both their top and bottom lines big time?  ???

There's a forum called the Water Cooler and a thread there called the $500 Gold thread in which we discuss finance and investment. 

3 hours ago, Mmehdy said:

I did my daily search on the promise collection looking for bargains (go to promise collection on ha website and chose lowest priced) and still see number of books below guide or close to guide.

Well, I took Mitch's advice and I am now higher bidder on several of these Promise Collection lots and even on some of the non-Promise pedigree books which are still going for only fractions of condition guide.  :banana:

I guess there's no chance of a system wide shutdown like what we had on the boards here last week, so that I'll actually end up winning a couple of these lots here. :bigsmile:  :takeit:

19 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if you think that Silver Surfer 4 is a non-key book that has no right to be sitting up there at $56K with still days to go, then I can't imagine what you must think about this truly even more non-key mid-run even later Silver Surfer 9 with an absolutely terrible non-classic cover :p that still managed to fetched an astounding $42K in the February CL Featured Auction:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :screwy:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?id=1461387#detail

00065472398000113731992010.jpg

At least the Surfer 4 has ALWAYS been acknowledged as having one of the absolute best and most classic SA covers out there, and hence Iwould tend to agree with @tth2  post here:  (thumbsu

BTW:  Since you know him, any idea what our resident Wall Street whiz kid ( i.e. @delekkerste ) thinks about all of this apparent FOMO driven and crypto-like craziness that's taken hold of our comic book marketplace, especially in terms of his former beloved BA and CA books which he used to be really into before getting into his boring and much more niche original art?  hm

Please quit posting stuff like this.  Do you have any idea how much Depends cost?  Do you want me to ruin every pair of underwear I own?

28 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The only problem with the Water Cooler is that it's clearly a place for boardies and Mods who have an absolutely negative sense of humor because every time I venture over there, I end up being banished to the CGC sin bin to cool my heels and to reassess the way I think.  (tsk) :mad:  :censored:

Pretty much an armpit over there. Lot of know it alls and trolls. I try my best to stay away as much as possible...

32 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

The only problem with the Water Cooler is that it's clearly a place for boardies and Mods who have an absolutely negative sense of humor, I end up being banished to the CGC sin bin to reassess the way I think.  (tsk) :mad:  :censored:

Water Cooler is fun if you know something about music and rock n roll history.

Only thing negative I will say about the Promise Collection is that the HA.com catalog back cover is unreadable due to the overly dark screen used. Even a simple b/w back cover would have made the GA covers legible.

2 hours ago, Peter G said:

I was kind of hoping the books you mentioned stay under the radar. I am a buyer if they go low. Really pretty books.

I could have listed a lot more, I will suffice it to say, check mid price for a couple real gems as well as on the 2d auction list itself. PM is you want my opinion. My point was you don't have to bid on a 140K Tech to get a great pedigree ultra rare in that condition book for even say 10K, even 5K...that is what is really great about this collection. If Allentown its the "greatest hits" list and 95% of us are out. In the Promise collection everyone is in who really wants to be in. I still think this auction is the time to find some real undervalue books compared to when this auction ends and the Promise collection is resale only...and everyone is gonna want more , a lot more.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Well, I took Mitch's advice and I am now higher bidder on several of these Promise Collection lots and even on some of the non-Promise pedigree books which are still going for only fractions of condition guide.  :banana:

I guess there's no chance of a system wide shutdown like what we had on the boards here last week, so that I'll actually end up winning a couple of these lots here. :bigsmile:  :takeit:

I think Lou, I would carefully target the GA comic book itself and there are a whole heck of lot them in those 275 first auction promise collection.. and of course factoring in condition and pedigree, there is more than enough to chose from for everyone here. I wish you luck, and hope 1 or 2 of them slip thru the cracks directly to you to make your great GA collection even greater. I believe those on a budget or looking for a "good deal"  best chance is on that final internet  auction only that goes really  fast and is not always on time on the last day.

1 hour ago, aardvark88 said:

Only thing negative I will say about the Promise Collection is that the HA.com catalog back cover is unreadable due to the overly dark screen used.

Well, from taking a closer look at the Promise Collection, I guess Mark Wilson had a rather short and abbreviated stint in there with Heritage since I no longer saw his picture or name in there as one of their Consignment Directors.  (shrug)