• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sheer madness. The book hasn’t got the eye appeal for that price. All Timelys will get a boost after this auction, but I hope this insanity doesn’t end up crashing the market

Cap#74 $204,000 w/BP .   I tapped out at $120,000 and I thought I was crazy. :ohnoez:

Someone really wanted that book.

Edited by mstrange

2 hours ago, batman_fan said:

Based on the results for the 1st Promise book, I am out :cry:

Have you already used up your first set of Depends on just the first Promise Collection book?  hm

If so, I hope you brought a flatbed load of them then in order to meet your needs.  lol

3 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh come on now.........you know this is not a fair bet and a guaranteed winner for you considering CGC's dead stop turnaround times. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

Walk-through for a book this valuable.  :baiting:

15 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sheer madness. The book hasn’t got the eye appeal for that price. All Timelys will get a boost after this auction, but I hope this insanity doesn’t end up crashing the market

If there were the possibly of 5 other copies coming on the market at that condition at once I could see some type of price correction, but that is the real security of the Promise collection, these are to MS8 not taking away from that book, these are rare/once in a collector lifetime opportunity to get over 5000 of them...so in 18 months it will be over, and if you think prices are high now...wait to the resale of these books hit over time...just look at history, SF, Church etc...it will take a few years of getting use to the price but then..wow and the way bids are going,  a majority of these will go into Whale collections and disappear. Sat will be the key..we see if those whales show up for the second sale.

Edited by Mmehdy

35 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Shoulda stuck to your guns, you let people back you off that half a mil number but you were pretty much dead on.

It was someone else actually who initially estimated $500K, but then wondered what the heck he was thinking and lowered it to $250K.  Don't recall who at this moment.  But I thought it could top $300K, so apparently I was closest w/o going over, like that Price is Right game!  

7 minutes ago, namisgr said:
11 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Oh come on now.........you know this is not a fair bet and a guaranteed winner for you considering CGC's dead stop turnaround times. :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

Walk-through for a book this valuable.  :baiting:

Depends on how long a snail takes to "walk through" the entire CGC facilitities.  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:  lol

Edited by lou_fine

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I mean I think it's a guaranteed winner regardless, which is why I'm hoping jimbo or someone takes me up on it. 5 in 20 years, I think I'm safe with 2 in 2 years. But as @namisgr said, you aren't subbing a high grade MS5 under economy anyway these days. 

2 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

100 lots....auction total on Promise is   $4,428,900     .  83 Lots to go and more on Sat.

Have we passed your original estimate of $700K already or even your revised updated estimate of $1.X million yet?  :baiting:  lol

All in good fun and even better for long term collectors like you who must be seeing massive increases in "paper profits" with their collections. :applause:

14 minutes ago, mstrange said:

Cap#74 $204,000 w/BP .   I tapped out at $120,000 and I thought I was crazy. :ohnoez:

Someone really wanted that book.

That blew me away. It was "only" a 9.2, and 200 K is a TON of money. Mitch was right about the appeal of this kind of Pedigree .... I'm casually dumbfounded by all of the $50K books . One observation, the rumors of Alex Schomburg's demise are greatly exaggerated. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

What I'd like to know but likely never will, is what is the ratio of winning bidders who win only one lot to those who win a dozen or more. 

Just now, october said:

My lowly 5.5 was less than 5% of that hammer price. What a world. 

001 (240).jpg

To me, this is a "Litmus" book. If this book is soft, the majority of the market also is. Maybe a "Groundhog" book would also be a good nomer. To have fun just watching something happen, that says something, eh ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

16 minutes ago, LordRahl said:

Easy solution here. Don't price anything. Throw it up for auction and ride the roller coaster.

That's not a realistic solution for everyone.

1 hour ago, tabcom said:

Captain America #36

$240,000

44 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

4 hours ago, szav said:

Some surprisingly big jumps in random Joker cover Tecs I don’t think many people were talking about being 100k contenders like 124, 149. 158.  

Yes, totally surprised at what some of these mid-run non classic cover Cap and Joker 'Tec books managed to run up to.   :whatthe:

Makes me wonder if the AA 61 with the all-time classic Solomon Grundy cover would have gone higher than its final $138K price point  since it was only the second lot in the auction and most likely before bidders knew how much they would have to up their game in order to win some of these Promise Collection books later on?  hm  

Looking at some of these results so far, from my own personal POV, I would say the winner of the AA 61 got themselves a relative steal in comparison.  (shrug)