• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For some reason CGCs in-house pressers seem to have more depressed staples than others pressing books.

It doesn't surprise me that they do what they do. What does surprise me is that the collecting community tolerates it. If collectors would punish books with those pressing-related defects by refusing to bid, the phenomenon would come to a screeching halt.

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:
8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

For some reason CGCs in-house pressers seem to have more depressed staples than others pressing books.

It doesn't surprise me that they do what they do. What does surprise me is that the collecting community tolerates it. If collectors would punish books with those pressing-related defects by refusing to bid, the phenomenon would come to a screeching halt.

From some of your posts here, it sounds as though you need to spend some serious time in the CGC sin bin with a triple dose of their hourly CGC juice in order to remove these aberrant thoughts from your mind and assimilate you back in with the rest of your CGC brethren here.  (tsk)

Then you too can have the same insatiable urge to bid like there's no tomorrow on these Promise Collection books with the nice big numbered labels on the top left hand corner of the slab, regardless of the mouse chews, depressed staples, dust shadows, edge tears, etc. on the books themselves, hoping against hope that you will be the lucky winning bidder left standing when it's all said and done.  :devil:

2 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Very depressing.  How is a press that depresses the staples an improvement?

Well CCS did increase the cost of their quick press up from a lowly $8/comic. Seems obvious that the pic of the Timely Promise comic did not have the staple manipulated before quick press which caused the depressed staple.

On 6/25/2021 at 11:19 PM, tth2 said:

Unless Heritage know exactly which model of computer or screen you're using, and the settings you've got, how could they possibly ensure that?

Can't they do what other photographers do and put a color separation guide card with every photo and then send the cards out to their regular buyers so you can adjust your screen?

Nearly every monitor displays colors rear are not true, very few are calibrated well, even artists monitore.  And if they are, when their work is submitted as a file or pdf, he is at the mercy of whatever the client is seeing on his monitor.. this will never be solved… so long as dozens of monitor makers are out there, running different system software, and the monitors in use range from brand new to 15 years old, and never calibrated… and if they were still just means what they see matches only what others with same monitor brand of same model # and same vintage… that was also calibrated with same software at the same time.  

Of course that’s all one thing, cause if the scans are off because they were sloppily made, or at bad settings and are too dark or washed out, and no one knew how to fix them, or company feels it’s a waste of time fixing each in photoshop?  Garbage in, garbage out.

15 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I can't grade a 8.0+ anymore.  Using these scans as a reference is throwing me off.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I was and am on the side of anti-pressing. 

My point is that the battle was lost 16 years ago.  The pressers (which is almost everyone now) only care about not leaving any money on the table, and don't care what happens to the book itself.  

In general, I don't press books, but have for spine roll removal because it's the one flaw that drives me nuts.

53 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

well then for you Peter @Gotham Kid

upcoming Promises

Batman 1 2.0 CR-OW
Batman 2 2.0 CR-OW
Batman 3 4.0 OW
Batman 4 5.0 CR-OW
Batman 5 4.5 OW
Batman 6 6.5 OW
Batman 7 5.5 OW
Batman 8 5.5 OW
Batman 9 3.0 OW
Batman 10 5.0 OW
Batman 11 6.5 CR-OW
Batman 12 7.5 OWW
Batman 13 4.5 OW
Batman 14 6.5 OW
Batman 15 7.5 OW
Batman 16 6.0 OW
Batman 17 7.0 OW
Batman 19 8.0 OW
Batman 57 9.0 OWW
Detective Comics 55 5.5 OWW
Detective Comics 63 6.5 OWW
Detective Comics 70 5.5 OWW
Detective Comics 74 7.0 OWW
Detective Comics 75 6.5 OWW
Detective Comics 77 6.0 OWW
Detective Comics 81 5.0 OW
Detective Comics 83 8.0 OWW
Detective Comics 84 7.5 OWW
Detective Comics 93 8.5 W

Surprising lack of key books on the Detective side.