• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

They're Still Out There!
22 22

2,906 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I do it in a similar manner, but I look at the defect and try to peg the range that this defect would be maximum allowed in.

At first look at the Subby book with the missing corner ( @lou_fine THAT was the book I was talking about) I couldn't see how a book missing an entire corner could be taken out of the VG range so I personally would give the book the maximum VG grade allowed, which is VG/Fine.

And THIS might be why CGC went with the grade it did. If this is a common bindery defect for that issue that would have very well been factored into the grade. There are MANY books with printing defects that are allowed in the grades that wouldn't be on other issues.

If that's the case, I can fully understand why they graded it higher than most would. They treated it like a miscut rather than a chew. And we've seen lots of miscut VF+ books from the GA. I'm guessing they just attributed all of the missing paper from one corner into the grade the way another miscut book might be missing paper along an entire edge.

Mods notified. 

21 minutes ago, VintageComics said:

I do it in a similar manner, but I look at the defect and try to peg the range that this defect would be maximum allowed in.

At first look at the Subby book with the missing corner ( @lou_fine THAT was the book I was talking about) I couldn't see how a book missing an entire corner could be taken out of the VG range so I personally would give the book the maximum VG grade allowed, which is VG/Fine.

And THIS might be why CGC went with the grade it did. If this is a common bindery defect for that issue that would have very well been factored into the grade. There are MANY books with printing defects that are allowed in the grades that wouldn't be on other issues.

If that's the case, I can fully understand why they graded it higher than most would. They treated it like a miscut rather than a chew. And we've seen lots of miscut VF+ books from the GA. I'm guessing they just attributed all of the missing paper from one corner into the grade the way another miscut book might be missing paper along an entire edge.

Here’s another copy that seems from the scan to be missing a bit on the lower left corner although not extreme.

28959B57-6AEC-4831-9065-DD66FDB31D58.thumb.jpeg.7dedb751f099625aeb360d42b07dcc8d.jpeg

This 9.4 is fine in that area though.

7316EFF5-63EF-4875-B014-09393D636D89.thumb.jpeg.3a3e9e69dbff8c36656f6cb12f2d573d.jpeg

Edited by N e r V

7 minutes ago, buttock said:

Mods notified. 

Pretty sure the entire chat forum has me in ignore by now. :cry:

1 hour ago, N e r V said:

Here’s another copy that seems from the scan to be missing a bit on the lower left corner although not extreme.

28959B57-6AEC-4831-9065-DD66FDB31D58.thumb.jpeg.7dedb751f099625aeb360d42b07dcc8d.jpeg

To me that 7.0 appears to be the same book as the 8.0 and the 7.5.  Looks like the pressing took a toll.  The tell tale in my view is the little dark dot (and even fainter dot slight left a bit below) that is on all three books below the upper left corner.

Edited by sfcityduck

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Ok after looking at this Subby cover so much, will someone please explain to me what’s the deal with the goofy looking guy in the water 

The character is Verrill Shark who was a Timely villain, originally a pirate who later joined the Axis in WW2.  He was trying to capture the Timely invaders, hence the subterfuge on the cover.  

Edited by Northwest

2 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

To me that 7.0 appears to be the same book as the 8.0 and the 7.5.  Looks like the pressing took a toll.  The tell tale in my view is the little dark dot (and even fainter dot slight left a bit below) that is on all three books below the upper left corner.

Gawd I hope not. That would be incredibly sad to be a 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0. Talk about getting around…:nyah:

2 hours ago, N e r V said:

Gawd I hope not. That would be incredibly sad to be a 7.0, 7.5 and 8.0. Talk about getting around…:nyah:

It's definitely the same book. The discoloration around the staple is a dead giveaway. And yes, it looks worse after pressing—yet it has a higher grade; that's how CGC rolls.

Edited by jimbo_7071

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:
3 hours ago, N e r V said:

It's definitely the same book. The discoloration around the staple is a dead giveaway. And yes, it looks worse after pressing—yet it has a higher grade; that's how CGC rolls.

Not necessarily so as @N e r V listed the order incorrectly as the book went from CGC 7.0 up to CGC 8.0 before settling in at CGC 7.5.  :gossip:

Looks like this exact same copy of Subby sold for $661.25 as a CGC 7.0 graded copy in 2003, then for $1,035 as a CGC 8.0 graded copy in 2004, before coming in at only $805 as a CGC 7.5 graded copy in 2005.  Looks like nobody made money here on the all of the resubs except for Heritage, CGC, and the pressing company(s).  :facepalm:

Edited by lou_fine

17 hours ago, N e r V said:

My personal range was 7.0-8.0 with 8.0 being generous. Price being equal I’d take it over the 7.5/8.0 copy still. So I think many of us believe that ones over graded at least. Wonder how bidders will react? 

I like the range you're in. And because it's you, I'll go with this one instead of the "golf-clap"...    :applause:

21 minutes ago, LearnedHand said:

If your post is supposed to offer advice for those who need it, I think this is very considerate.  

I would point out, however, that the statements above are very broad brush.  Of all the so-called pedigrees, very few actually command a true premium based purely on the collection's name, and not a given book's grade.  Nothing against this new pedigree - it is truly amazing.  And, GA 9.6s and 9.8s are always going to draw a lot of attention.  But, assuming it's a good idea to spend record amounts of money on any book in this collection assuming they will all perform comparably to top-tier pedigrees, well ... time will tell.

Eh, I don’t know. Depending on the book and the pedigree I pay more for one just like I do for white pages vs lesser quality. White mountain, Spokane , River city, Aurora, Cosmic Aeroplane, etc.. will usually get me to pony up a bit more. Probably a bigger premium if it’s a 40’s or 50’s pedigree vs SA and BA books but I still go harder for one. 

So I guess I’m in the minority ?

4 minutes ago, N e r V said:

Eh, I don’t know. Depending on the book and the pedigree I pay more for one just like I do for white pages vs lesser quality. White mountain, Spokane , River city, Aurora, Cosmic Aeroplane, etc.. will usually get me to pony up a bit more. Probably a bigger premium if it’s a 40’s or 50’s pedigree vs SA and BA books but I still go harder for one. 

So I guess I’m in the minority ?

My adventures with pedigrees usually involve Atlas books. Often the only high grade Atlas books ARE pedigrees. I really like Circle 8's for them. I have paid a premium, but how much of that premium is Ped and how much scarcity ? To generate a multiple I think the pedigree has to be truly exceptional ... not just structure, but PQ, Gloss, suppleness, lack of foxing, tanning, and rust .... The Churches qualify. The Spokanes, Salidas, White Mountains, ...these are all examples that I would bid more aggressively for. I'm sure there are others, it's just that those are ones I have actually owned and experienced at one time or another. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu