• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic collectors who have had serious, hobby-related friction with a significant other, how did it resolve?
2 2

289 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, kav said:

They started it!!!
I was just sharing!!!

Stop yelling at me Kav!! I'm deeply tormented and composing sonnets by candlelight. I can't bear grown men yelling at me! 

In all seriousness, let's just close this thread as things are getting heated. Everybody stay safe and have a good weekend. I mean it.

I've noticed any thread where discussions of meeting women or dating women happens, tops get blown.  People start with the "You shouldnt do that!" and the "You should do this!!".  The "youre a sociopath!" was a new one tho.

Just now, kav said:

I've noticed any thread where discussions of meeting women or dating women happens, tops get blown.  People start with the "You shouldnt do that!" and the "You should do this!!".  The "youre a sociopath!" was a new one tho.

1013721202_giphy-9(1).gif.ed095f92f2b974a57b6aa584407aa5b0.gif

19 minutes ago, kav said:

I'm old now but when i was young I had no problem whatsoever getting as many attractive girlfriends as i wanted.  I didnt need any advice in this area.

I bet you are ALREADY the Dapper Don of the nursing home. 

Edited by Buzzetta

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I bet you are ALREADY the Dapper Don of the nursing home. 

youre no spring chicken yourself!

On 4/22/2021 at 8:20 PM, kav said:

Definitely.  I was doing sound board for a local band and I watched a groupie come backstage with us and hit on the band members one by one in this order:
Lead guitar/vocals
Bass
drummer
then rejected by all she went to me.

The question is,,,, did you reject her?  And also was she a CGC 10 or a .5?

Just now, toro said:

The question is,,,, did you reject her?  And also was she a CGC 10 or a .5?

she was a CGC 6.2
I didnt have a chance to even talk to her as my GF that got free car repairs showed up to check up on me.

3 minutes ago, kav said:

I didnt have a chance to even talk to her as my GF that got free car repairs showed up to check up on me.

Worded like that, sounds like she was already getting tuned up. 

6 hours ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Oh man, has this thread delivered or what? It's only fair that I share my experience. It's long and I don't want the mobile users out there to sprain their thumbs scrolling past my word wall.

Hide contents

When my wife and I met, I was 30, and comics hadn’t been part of my life for about a decade. I stopped collecting when I began my undergraduate degree as I simply had no interest. Sometime in my mid 20’s, after completing my bachelor’s work, I sold them lock stock and barrel to The Great Escape in Nashville, TN, in what felt like a finality.

Some years later, my wife started a doctoral degree in music. As you musicians know, music is rather all-consuming. As you academics know, doctoral degrees are rather all-consuming. Put together, I had lots of time on my hands.

Even better, I had left the classroom to become an instructional technologist at a time and in a place when campus, and sometimes district, leadership didn’t know what to do with us tech coaches. So here I had a desk job with plenty of down time that I used for online gaming, and in the course of playing one particular game like a complete addict, I got to the know developers who would eventually hire me to do customer service.

During this time, I was really into Warhammer Tabletop Fantasy, which meant I spent a lot of time in places that had comics or were “comic-adjacent” for geek culture, pop culture, gaming, etc. So comics were in my peripheral vision, though this wasn’t enough to get me started again.

At this point, I had idle hands, excess time, no children, a full-time k12 job with benefits, and extra money from the side gig. So what triggered the urge to collect again? The Marvel Cinematic Universe, baby. Oh man, you guys were there. That was fun, right!

So I hit the ‘Bay and away I went! I started where I left off years earlier and got a CGC 9.2 copy of New Gods #1, from @mycomicshop. From there, geesh, I won’t bore you, but I was really into buying and soon thereafter, selling as well. (Click my profile and check my kudos thread, it’s embarrassingly long! I used ComicLink and of course eBay as well).

To my regret, I had begun abusing alcohol and weed because, well, I liked it, and I probably have a genetic predisposition to addictive behaviors. My wife wasn't a partier, but grad school electronic-music types made things fun. What do we call those late night drunk purchases? Oh, and I was doing Tae Kwon Do. And got a second master's degree. How the cluck did I do all these things? Geesh.

As my wife approached the end of our degree, we decided it was now or never for a baby. For what it’s worth, we thought it was never after we had difficulty conceiving. But we did, at the last tic of the biological clock.

Sarah, oddly enough, had an interview for a position in my hometown, where she and I had lived before moving for her degree. I obtained an interview at the local magnet school, and because she was pregnant, we decided that should either of us have a job offer, we’d return to the ‘Boro. Sarah did not get the job, I did, she had the baby and became a mom.

So if you’re following this far, you will have realized that I had lost the extra time and, while I still had my moonlighting job, our finances were shifting with the move and impending birth of our kid. Not everything changed. For instance, my collecting compulsion didn’t change, nor did my substance use. Nor the TKD, but an injury would take care of that for me after I limped through black belt testing, though the same injury has incurred great cost over time.

Then, I changed careers. Education caused me great anxiety that I never controlled or treated, or let myself really recognize to be honest. I parlayed the instructional technology thing into an ed tech job, but began working as a contractor. This was a big drop in income, even with the second job, not to mention health care costs, costs exacerbated by a hip injury and deteriorating lumbar disc.

Perhaps the sports injury was a physical manifestation of my overall crash. I had reached a point playing fast and loose with consumer credit to buy and sell that I could no longer sustain. I quit drinking and had to explain to my wife, who approached financial matters by looking at the ten-foot-pole in front of her and complaining how heavy it would be to lift it and keep me at distance, that I had crapped up our finances.

I sold the bulk of my collection, spasmed back into some buying sprees with commission money or extra income, and finally sold almost everything off in waves.

So, dear readers, how’s my marriage these days? You’d have to ask her, I suppose, but we just returned from a vacation in the Blue Ridge mountains of North Georgia. I still don’t drink, though I do use D8 thc (it’s just so right). I am now a full employee working just one gig for the gaming company for whom I had moonlighted for so long. We weathered the pandemic together and no longer need a ten-foot-pole to discuss matters of comics or finances.

She has, with her usual good grace, made my peace with my now reasonable and properly focused comic collecting hobby. To be honest, my experience collecting keys from the advent of the MCU to whatever the clickety-cluck is happening now makes it super easy to collect in the shallow end of the pool.

I sit at home, working on games, spending about $100 to $150 a month on comics, eating my D8 gummies. I get laid like once or twice every three months, my seven-year-old talks incessantly, we invest properly and have stabilized our finances, though this pandemic can't end soon enough. What more could a guy want in life? Besides that Hulk #181 that I bought as a blue label 5.5 and had pressed into a 7.0? Other than that, and maybe the X-Men #1, blue label 1.0, I'm complete. Right? ;) 

Hold up. Let me get this straight.....you really  pressed a 5.5 hulk 181 to a 7.0???