• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic collectors who have had serious, hobby-related friction with a significant other, how did it resolve?
2 2

289 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Why would you want to date someone uninteresting?

A brilliant unattractive woman wont get many dates.  A vapid gorgeous girl will get plenty.  It's just the way it is.  Women are attracted to personality, men are atracted to form.  They are visual creatures.  Thats why men's magazines have pictures of women, and women's magazines also have pictures of women.

37 minutes ago, kav said:

She wanted to call the shots and have what she wanted and disregard what i wanted.  "I want you as a friend"  "You're interesting to me".
Knowing i was romantically interested.  She wanted what she wanted, and screw what I wanted.  No decent chick will want someone as a 'friend' when they know the guy has romantic interests.  thats a cruel ploy to keep men around like puppy dogs.  I dont play that ****.

She could have said she only wanted to be friends because she wasn't interested in you.  That's a pretty common way for anyone, male or female, to avoid a romantic relationship and let the other person off easy.  I suspect we've all heard it or used it at least once in our life.  God knows I've heard it too many times.

Or she may have actually wanted to be friends but wasn't interested in you romantically.  It happens all the time when someone likes someone but isn't attracted to them physically.  That doesn't make her indecent and it doesn't mean it's a cruel ploy and that you interpret it that way is disturbing.

You posted in another thread that you didn't have any friends other than some guy at a LCS who actually didn't like you.  I'd like to kindly suggest that you spend some time thinking about the relationships you're in or the lack of relationships in your life, and your attitude towards other people.  Life isn't easy, people aren't easy, relationships take effort and understanding and I think we all struggle with relationships.

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

She could have said she only wanted to be friends because she wasn't interested in you.  That's a pretty common way for anyone, male or female, to avoid a romantic relationship and let the other person off easy.  I suspect we've all heard it or used it at least once in our life.  God knows I've heard it too many times.

Or she may have actually wanted to be friends but wasn't interested in you romantically.  It happens all the time when someone likes someone but isn't attracted to them physically.  That doesn't make her indecent and it doesn't mean it's a cruel ploy and that you interpret it that way is disturbing.

You posted in another thread that you didn't have any friends other than some guy at a LCS who actually didn't like you.  I'd like to kindly suggest that you spend some time thinking about the relationships you're in or the lack of relationships in your life, and your attitude towards other people.  Life isn't easy, people aren't easy, relationships take effort and understanding and I think we all struggle with relationships.

I have the friends I want to have and am very happy.  Mental disorders come with unhappiness.  I dont have that.  I am fine.
I never said I dont have any friends, just that i dont have any friends I can leave my comics to.
I have never had any problem getting girlfriends or making friends.  I can be choosy.  I chose to get away from that chick, and it made me happy.  She kept calling, so I wasnt the one that was left unfulfilled.  

38 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

There IS no cure for alcoholism. It's maintenance for the rest of ones life if they choose to remain sober. AA is only one avenue. There are many treatment methods these days. The Friends Of Bill W just happened to be the first to recognize alcoholism as a disease. And they at first suggested looking to God for help but the bottom line was to find something bigger than self to look up to. Whether it was God, another person, an ideal or even a goal or several goals. Addiction - while a natural reaction to pleasure center neurons interacting with a foreign substance - is classified as a disease.

Ahh, got it. It was classified, therefore it is. Nothing has ever been classified as a disease or illness falsely. 

6 minutes ago, kav said:

A brilliant unattractive woman wont get many dates.  A vapid gorgeous girl will get plenty.  It's just the way it is.  Women are attracted to personality, men are atracted to form.  They are visual creatures.  Thats why men's magazines have pictures of women, and women's magazines also have pictures of women.

But attractiveness is subjective. There's all sorts of famous people considered really gorgeous that do nothing for me- people have different tastes, right?

5 minutes ago, thehumantorch said:

Ps the best advice is advice that is asked for.

2 minutes ago, kav said:

I have the friends I want to have and am very happy.  Mental disorders come with unhappiness.  I dont have that.  I am fine.
I never said I dont have any friends, just that i dont have any friends I can leave my comics to.
I have never had any problem getting girlfriends or making friends.  I can be choosy.  I chose to get away from that chick, and it made me happy.  She kept calling, so I wasnt the one that was left unfulfilled.  

I'm out.  Good luck

1 minute ago, thehumantorch said:

Good luck

Dont need it.
Lott assumptions about me here.

Just now, thehumantorch said:

Ps, I just want to be friends

Yeah, I'm surprised how bitter this thread became and people getting annoyed with each other. While I'm delighted to see someone use 'Bye Felicia' and also amazed that someone thought my comment to Kav that his memoirs as a gentleman and lover was a literal suggestion (I don't know Kav and was joking with him), I think everyone should chill and not be offended that we, you know, disagree on some things. We disagree. Doesn't mean we need to snip at each other.

Just now, wisbyron said:

Yeah, I'm surprised how bitter this thread became and people getting annoyed with each other. While I'm delighted to see someone use 'Bye Felicia' and also amazed that someone thought my comment to Kav that his memoirs as a gentleman and lover was a literal suggestion (I don't know Kav and was joking with him), I think everyone should chill and not be offended that we, you know, disagree on some things. We disagree. Doesn't mean we need to snip at each other.

I merely posted an anecdote about myself, that I am fine with, and happy with, and the judgments started.  I'm a 'sociopath'.  I need to seriously reconsider things.  I am just fine folks and this is the way i do things.  That's my right.

I'm old now but when i was young I had no problem whatsoever getting as many attractive girlfriends as i wanted.  I didnt need any advice in this area.

2 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

Calm down Fonz! Let's get back to comics. 

They started it!!!
I was just sharing!!!