• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic collectors who have had serious, hobby-related friction with a significant other, how did it resolve?
2 2

289 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Randall Ries said:

I'm sorry about that. I hate the active alcoholics attitude. What a terrible disease. I'm SUPPOSED to feel bad for them, but I don't. Even when they turn around and go to AA, they are difficult to deal with. The disease will be with them forever.

I had a girlfriend who was a drunk. She could drink. She would not pass or black out. She could just drink. She would start Friday night and stay up all weekend. Drinking and smoking. A case of beer and a box of that horrible lighter fluid called "Franzia". Wine in a box? What the hell was THAT? "Ah yes. Poisonous and yet not tepid. Oh! It's the 1:45 hour! A FINE vintage." Gross. I hated the person she became. Monday and it was time to go to work. She would have to put wine in a runners bottle so she could come down slowly without getting the DT's.

She looked like young Lea Thompson when I first met her. By the time I had enough, she looked like 1977 Elvis Presley. Horrible.

We don't miss people like that. While they used us, we can use them as a lesson in what we DON'T want in our lives. Let them make someone else miserable. They will likely end up alone and sick.

After a year of that, watching it get worse and listening to her whine about how much she missed her ex-husband, she screwed up royally and I broomed her out of my house. You know: You try to be there for people when they need help. But some people don't need help. They need support to continue their diseases. Some people have said "A whole YEAR of that?" Don't get all uppity. Some people go through DECADES of that.

I've heard debates on if it constitutes a 'disease'. People are predisposed to all sorts of things, it doesn't make a disease- it's called a disease because of accountability issues. Cancer is a disease. Choosing to get wasted is selfish, even if the source motivation isn't.

13 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Wrong thread pal....:makepoint:

10 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

tenor-5.gif.72da5c56bf0018a551a3e10c4264

But I'll add my wife yadda yadda. 

Just shootin the breeze :tonofbricks:

5 minutes ago, kav said:

It can be where it wants!! :makepoint:

sometimes venting is the best medicine

sorry to annoy 

Screenshot_20210423-203122_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

How was she arrogant though? She was honest and upfront with you. Maybe she just really had time to assess her feelings and thought you guys had a better dynamic as conversational partners. 

@kavi think she found you,that text might be from her.....

So many wives stories here’s mine. 
was collecting before we met and continue collecting after marriage and kids never supported my hobby. Many many years later she came to a conclusion that We 🤔 have made great investment. she accepted my hobby and during pandemic 😷 now she wants me to teach her how to buy and profit on books. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 

5 minutes ago, MB1952 said:

So many wives stories here’s mine. 
was collecting before we met and continue collecting after marriage and kids never supported my hobby. Many many years later she came to a conclusion that We 🤔 have made great investment. she accepted my hobby and during pandemic 😷 now she wants me to teach her how to buy and profit on books. 😂😂😂😂😂😂 

^^

26 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

How was she arrogant though? She was honest and upfront with you. Maybe she just really had time to assess her feelings and thought you guys had a better dynamic as conversational partners. 

She wanted to call the shots and have what she wanted and disregard what i wanted.  "I want you as a friend"  "You're interesting to me".
Knowing i was romantically interested.  She wanted what she wanted, and screw what I wanted.  No decent chick will want someone as a 'friend' when they know the guy has romantic interests.  thats a cruel ploy to keep men around like puppy dogs.  I dont play that ****.

1 minute ago, kav said:

She wanted to call the shots and have what she wanted and disregard what i wanted.  "I want you as a friend"  "You're interesting to me".
Knowing i was romantically interested.  She wanted what she wanted, and screw what I wanted.  No decent chick will want someone as a 'friend' when they know the guy has romantic interests.  thats a cruel ploy to keep men around like puppy dogs.  I dont play that ****.

307514f023c6f7bca30cf01993526f54.gif

Basically she said "I want you as a friend-you are interesting.  But I dont want to date you"
My reply was essentially "Well I dont want you as a friend.  youre not that interesting.  I want to date you.  we're done here".

33 minutes ago, wisbyron said:

I've heard debates on if it constitutes a 'disease'. People are predisposed to all sorts of things, it doesn't make a disease- it's called a disease because of accountability issues. Cancer is a disease. Choosing to get wasted is selfish, even if the source motivation isn't.

All due respect, but that is a misinformed statement. Alcohol as a drug has addictive qualities. In fact, I'm not even going to go into it. That statement is ridiculous.

Women are much smarter at interpersonal relationships than men.  I'm sure she was used to toying with men to get what SHE wanted.
Not this cowboy.  I also always saw myself as some sort of vigilante to show hot chicks not all men can be toyed with.  It was a hobby of sorts.  As I said I have PLENTY of these stories.

51 minutes ago, kav said:

The GF that got free car repair also was featured in Playboy-but this was after we broke up.  She was one of those rare girls that was so attractive when she entered a room it fell silent.  Men gaped and women's eyes narrowed in anger.  Several car accidents happened from gawkers if you can believe it when she was just strolling down the street.

I'm serious when I say this, but on some level, that must have been a terrible burden on her.

Just now, Randall Ries said:

I'm serious when I say this, but on some level, that must have been a terrible burden on her.

very perceptive.  Other women HATED HER.  She never had female friends, didnt know what that was like.  I was in a restaurant once when this ugly woman threw a cream cup dispenser at her head, out of the blue.
She also could never have male friends-everyone wanted to get in her pants.  So, no friends.
It also made her think she could be a movie star, just because she was pretty.  So never went to college or anything, wasted her life.

4 hours ago, kav said:

One time I met this cute girl and she was fascinated by me.  We went out and made out a bit.  Few days later she calls up and says "I just want to be friends but I dont want to date you"  I replied "Well I'm kind of looking for someone to date so I wont bother you any more".  She said "But youre really interesting to talk to!  I still want to be friends!!"  I said "What do i get out of it?"  She said "What do you mean?"  I said you get someone interesting to talk to what do I get?"  Then I said bye and hung up.  She called back but I just let the phone ring like 20 times.  Game over.

Yes. Well, you are going over to the dark side, now. That's sociopathic. Sometimes, the greatest romances spring from friendship. At the very least, you might have made a great friend. But you'll never know because you went psycho on her.

8 minutes ago, Randall Ries said:

All due respect, but that is a misinformed statement. Alcohol as a drug has addictive qualities. In fact, I'm not even going to go into it. That statement is ridiculous.

As ridiculous as the cure is a 12 step program that forces you to believe in God?

Doesn't sound like any disease I've heard of

Course, what I know is not much 

Just now, Randall Ries said:

Yes. Well, you are going over to the dark side, now. That's sociopathic. Sometimes, the greatest romances spring from friendship. At the very least, you might have made a great friend. But you'll never know because you went psycho on her.

You are wrong but I am not going to explain it.  

4 hours ago, kav said:

I knew I could have just been her friend and waited for her to fall in love with me-I knew quite well how to accomplish this but I wanted to punch a hole in her arrogance.

Oh, man. You ARE a sociopath. Or a narcissist at the least. Oh wait. I'm wrong. Narcissism is tied into sociopathy. My bad.