• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are Custom Label Series more valuable than the regular series?

13 posts in this topic

I just bought a Wolverine limited series 1 Custom Label Series 9.6 and it made me wonder will these Custom Label Series hold more value in the future because there will be less of those than the regular slabs or does it not really make a difference?

In my opinion, which has no research regarding sell prices, etc... They are less valuable for resale purposes because they move most of the "key" label info to the back. If I personally had the choice when buying an already slabbed/graded book: Between a custom label and a universal of the same grade, I'd pay a little more for the universal. (A LITTLE MORE)

That being said, for my own collection of books I'm slabbing with no intention to sell, I sometimes go with the custom labels because I like the look.

So: Contradictory and unhelpful. Take it as you may.

I’d go on eBay and do sold price comparisons 

To me Custom Labels should be shunned by collectors. They are just an effort to boost sales on the part of CGC - basically a "manufactured collectible". They really have nothing to do with comics or grades. I'll take a plain old Universal Blue Label any time over a label manufactured by a corporation to promote hype.

On 4/23/2021 at 8:26 PM, Tcla75 said:

I just bought a Wolverine limited series 1 Custom Label Series 9.6 and it made me wonder will these Custom Label Series hold more value in the future because there will be less of those than the regular slabs or does it not really make a difference?

Does not make a difference.

I think generally.... as with most stuff.... It depends.  The book, the grade, the custom label, the rarity of the label or the grade, possibly the signature, the age, the selling venue, everything.  And just because it's worth a bit 'more', still doesn't necessarily mean it's worth more as the additional cost of the custom label.

I think most people will tell you not to get a customized label thinking that it's an extra avenue for potential profit, although it is possible in very specific circumstances you might luck into some additional value.  If you like it for yourself (and can afford it), get it.  If not then don't.