• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

In reviewing my personal collection's value month-by-month I have noticed a slowdown this past month.
Since I haven't added any new slabs to my 50 item PC it has been easy to track YTD growth.
I am utilizing eBay sold items to determine their FMV.

Jan to July              32.81% increase
January to February  .39% increase
February to March   6.98% increase
March to April         11.77% increase
April to May              7.21% increase
May to June             2.46% increase
June to July                .72% increase

20 hours ago, William-James88 said:

at the mercy of the buyer

In what ways?  I haven’t had any issues with buyers. To be honest it’s usually them having to put up with my errors as the seller.  I’ve pretty much exclusively been selling slabs so there’s that also.  

3 hours ago, ThothAmon said:

In what ways?  I haven’t had any issues with buyers. To be honest it’s usually them having to put up with my errors as the seller.  I’ve pretty much exclusively been selling slabs so there’s that also.  

Well with me it was toys. I said the backing card (the toy itself was mint) had shelfware but the person still wanted his money back because he couldnt tell the exact slight bend from the pics. He made a case, and paypal just gave him an entire refund. I lost everything, the toy the money, everything in that sale. So scew it. And even with slabs you can get an issue, I've heard of stories where even though the description is good a seller would say "the pics didn't show the scuffing properly, it needs to be reslabbed, please refund me 20$ for a reslabbing fee or I send the book back even though you said no returns". Just finding ways to get the book for cheaper. I just don't want to deal with it, especially being an international seller. So whatever, i'll sell my book through MCS, they take 10%, it's the same as e-bay (below 2500) and I don't have to deal with anything. Plus I only have to go to the post office once. I honestly don't see how e-bay is a better option.

Edited by William-James88

On 7/15/2021 at 1:23 PM, Motor City Rob said:

Ebay selling fee for managed payments with a basic store is 11.7% up to $2,500, and only 2.35% for any amount above $2,500. Seems like the best option for big books. 

Except the main problem here is that you generally have the wrong set of eyeballs on eBay, as it's generally not the ones with the big wallets that's willing to open them nice and wide for you.  :gossip:

4 hours ago, HotKey said:

20% drop since April. 

Screenshot_20210717-140720_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20210717-140619_Instagram.jpg

Been going even lower on eBay. Auction that ended today went for $2481, and the last auction previous to that was 3 days ago for $2450. And there were auctions a couple weeks ago even lower in the 2300 range. I sold one UF4 9.8 in June for 2850 BIN and have 2 more sitting at CGC so have been watching this price quite a bit lately… personally think it’s not at the bottom yet, but time will tell.

1 hour ago, wiparker824 said:

Been going even lower on eBay. Auction that ended today went for $2481, and the last auction previous to that was 3 days ago for $2450. And there were auctions a couple weeks ago even lower in the 2300 range. I sold one UF4 9.8 in June for 2850 BIN and have 2 more sitting at CGC so have been watching this price quite a bit lately… personally think it’s not at the bottom yet, but time will tell.

Like crypto,  it's going to keep going lower.  Markets are spooked

1 minute ago, Wolverinex said:

Like crypto,  it's going to keep going lower.  Markets are spooked

This may be good, because I have a con coming up....

I doubt any vendors there are going to get the "memo" lol by Sept. hahaha

I can hope to come home with good deals, maybe not "great," but at least hoping for "good!" 

On 7/16/2021 at 2:45 PM, ThothAmon said:

The main thing with Ebay after they decided to part ways with PayPal is the seller fee. I contact Ebay on multiple occasions inquiring about it and get one answer then another that's slightly different than last time. Then I relay that information here only to have someone else claim the fee is something entirely different. I don't know anymore (shrug)

Maybe it depends on the day of the week?

The only positive about Ebay is their huge marketplace. You can always be sure your item will get attention. Whether that attention results in anything is another story. Usually listing something on some non Ebay exchange amounts to having it out in Siberia to die a slow death. 

Another thing is the listings with fuzzy scans or sometimes severely angled slabs where you can't see sections of the book. Thankfully those are the exception but sometimes it's a book you really want but can't be sure what the hell it looks like :pullhair:

10 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

ASM122 9.8 hammered at 10.8k June 19th. Some current ASMs on HA are doing really really well! So not sure if everything is dropping. 

Yeah I haven’t seen drops on everything. Mostly just the copper/modern big keys.

I think we're going to see prices bounce back up.

Why?

Today, I got a government check for $500.  Can't figure out why it was so much, as I have a 16 year old and a 17 year old who turns 18 next month.  Perhaps they are paying attention to the 18 year old's birthday, or the age calculation is based on the beginning of the year...just not sure.

Anyway, yeah...I know it's an advance on a tax credit, but it's a generous advance that shows up monthly and people are too stupid to save it for tax time.  The tax credit was doubled and the advances are supposed to be about half of the entire credit, so to me, as a gainfully employed, decently paid guy, it's free money.

Edited by Westy Steve

Convention pricing at Comicpalooza, but *wow*. I’m mostly a Marvel guy, so I didn’t look at a whole lot of DC books, but some drew my eye. $7,500 for Hulk 181 at 3.5, $1,100 for ASM 1 Golden Records Reprint, $30k for Hulk 1 (don’t remember the grade), She-Hulk 1 at $700 raw, ASM 300 in the 5-8k range (CGC 9’s), Eternals 1 for $100, Batman: Harley Quinn for $1,000, ASM 361 for $700-2,000. 

I’m pretty much convinced that I’m priced out of the hobby at this rate. I can continue collecting new books, but I think I’m hosed on keys & back issues for the foreseeable future.

13 hours ago, BabaLament said:

Convention pricing at Comicpalooza, but *wow*. I’m mostly a Marvel guy, so I didn’t look at a whole lot of DC books, but some drew my eye. $7,500 for Hulk 181 at 3.5, $1,100 for ASM 1 Golden Records Reprint, $30k for Hulk 1 (don’t remember the grade), She-Hulk 1 at $700 raw, ASM 300 in the 5-8k range (CGC 9’s), Eternals 1 for $100, Batman: Harley Quinn for $1,000, ASM 361 for $700-2,000. 

Sounds as though these are really convention prices whereby the dealer knows that any interested buyers will be asking for big discount on them. hm

As for the ASM 1 GRR, was it still sealed with the book and record together?  I know that I have a couple of these in my collection somewhere, but can't remember which ones I have or whether they are still sealed or not  :facepalm:,  as I imagined the sealed ones should in theory be worth a lot more money.  :wishluck:

@lou_fineNo record, just the comic book. I was extremely tempted to pick it up, but the vendor had an "oops" when he was setting up, and dropped his display. The slab was cracked/shattered, which is no big deal to have it re-slabbed, but I didn't bring a huge bankroll to the show, and $1,100 would have put a big dent in it. Not a whole lot of discounting going on; I talked with a couple of vendors that I've done business with over the years, and got a lot of "movie/TV show bump + speculator market" reason(s) for some books going high. I think its getting into silly territory. Power Pack 1 for $300 (no, this is not a joke), Moon Knight 1 for $1,000+, Kazar 1 for $100, West Coast Avengers 1 for $100, Hawkeye 1 for $100; I just don't see it on a lot of these books, even with Disney+ series and whatnot. I did see some bargains out there; a Tomb of Dracula #10 for $300 (meh condition), a Namor 1 for under a grand; but most of the good stuff was just too high priced for my budget.

A big discussion with a group of local comic peoples (we met for lunch; when it comes to over-priced, the comic vendors can't hold a candle to the restaurants at the GRB Convention Center) was Shang-Chi & Moon Knight. Werewolf By Night has been getting silly priced for a while even before the movie announcement, and the jump on Moon Knight 1 is somewhat mind boggling, but Marvel Special Edition 15 (first appearance of Shang Chi) isn't rocketing up in price nearly the same way. Anyone have a reasonable explanation?

Edited by BabaLament

7 minutes ago, BabaLament said:

@lou_fineNo record, just the comic book. I was extremely tempted to pick it up, but the vendor had an "oops" when he was setting up, and dropped his display. The slab was cracked/shattered, which is no big deal to have it re-slabbed, but I didn't bring a huge bankroll to the show, and $1,100 would have put a big dent in it. Not a whole lot of discounting going on; I talked with a couple of vendors that I've done business with over the years, and got a lot of "movie/TV show bump + speculator market" reason(s) for some books going high. I think its getting into silly territory. Power Pack 1 for $300 (no, this is not a joke), Moon Knight 1 for $1,000+, Kazar 1 for $100, West Coast Avengers 1 for $100, Hawkeye 1 for $100; I just don't see it on a lot of these books, even with Disney+ series and whatnot. I did see some bargains out there; a Tomb of Dracula #10 for $300 (meh condition), a Namor 1 for under a grand; but most of the good stuff was just too high priced for my budget.

Moon knight 1 or Wwbn