• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,119 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, VintageComics said:

It's important to note that the copy that sold for $55K was not only a Pedigree copy (and Peds generally fetch top dollar among collectors) but it was also a perfectly centered copy, which also fetches top dollar among collectors.

So it's REALLY hard to compare the $55K to any other copy until it meets these two criteria.

So, the one that sold for $40K on HA is from the Oregon Coast Collection with perfect centering and white pages.  
anything else you’d like to add?

45 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

So, the one that sold for $40K on HA is from the Oregon Coast Collection with perfect centering and white pages.  
anything else you’d like to add?

It is coming across like you are offended by people that aren't agreeing with your opinion. This is intended to be a fun topic for discussion. Always good to consider other people's perspectives, even if you don't agree.

I took a look at the Heritage book and it is far from perfectly centered, in my opinion. Definitely some wrap-around on it. Also, I don't believe the Oregon Coast Collection is considered a pedigree, unless it's part of the Pacific Coast pedigree. Anyone know?

Based on this, it makes sense why the CLink copy sold for so much more than the Heritage.

1 hour ago, Motor City Rob said:

It is coming across like you are offended by people that aren't agreeing with your opinion. This is intended to be a fun topic for discussion. Always good to consider other people's perspectives, even if you don't agree.

I took a look at the Heritage book and it is far from perfectly centered, in my opinion. Definitely some wrap-around on it. Also, I don't believe the Oregon Coast Collection is considered a pedigree, unless it's part of the Pacific Coast pedigree. Anyone know?

Based on this, it makes sense why the CLink copy sold for so much more than the Heritage.

Not in the slightest!  I know Roy for a long time and he’s good people

9 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:
10 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

Not in the slightest!  I know Roy for a long time and he’s good people

I think some of your posts sound aggressive but you probably don't mean them that way.

But I was going to say the same thing as MCR - the Oregon Coast copy is NOT an official Pedigree (and it may not be as well centered just going by what MCR has said - I didn't look at the copy).

I'm still leaning towards my point that it was an anomaly at $55K because of those two characteristics and not indicative of the market as a whole.

Whenever I look up prices on GPA to price stuff up I always notice that certain peds (like Twin Cities, Mass, etc) fetch incredibly strong prices for late silver and bronze books and that is what I based my opinion on.

Additionally and anecdotally, I had a customer ask me about 2-3 weeks ago for what they should be paying for an ASM #129 9.8 and I threw out the number that they are currently going for now, even though I knew that the Mass copy had just fetched $55K. It was just a gut feeling but I guess I was right since they seem to have settled in that range.

A similar thing happened with Hulk #181 where someone paid $50K for a 9.8 that was from the 'Mile High 2 collection" (Admittedly not a ped but def an outlier sale at the time) and then subsequent copies never hit that range (I sold 2 x CGC 9.8 copies in the mid $30's knowing there was no way I was going to get $50K for them at the time).

Anyway, I don't care if I'm wrong or right, just stating my own perception based on my experience and what I see happening. To each their own.

Markets been on fire 🔥 can’t buy much :( but did manage a few got a supes 28 was hard to price it as not many sales In that range. Also grabbed a x men 2 and remembering it for a lot less 

523DCED8-AD2C-49BC-8C3E-AC6A9EB9C975.jpeg

49984E84-BD47-4590-A3CE-C9061B470E51.jpeg

On 6/29/2021 at 10:09 AM, 500hpAudiS4 said:

If it was the one with the top right corner missing a piece, unfortunately I ran you up a little during live, but was not the only one bidding, it jumped a good amount in a few minutes. 

1 hour ago, PKJ said:

If it was the one with the top right corner missing a piece, unfortunately I ran you up a little during live, but was not the only one bidding, it jumped a good amount in 

Yup that's the one. Missed the Oregon auction unfortunately but wasn't sure what the other bidders max was.

On 7/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Dark Knight said:

I think of CL sales kinda like private sales where some maybe even most don't get reported. It's impossible to report every single comic book sale that exchange hands and also impossible to report them accurately. 

If HA can report everything to GPA why can't Clink? Or couldn't Clink at least report the auction results? They don't do it because it requires some work on their end. It's actually in their interest to have their impressive results publicised publicly for the community to see instead of having them just fade into oblivion and forgotten about! I mean what's the point??? Yeah they can feature a few record sales or near records on their front page but that's just a few. What about the rest? 

CC reports to GPA but it takes them forever. Anyway, its never a good idea to hide information for anybody regardless of it being Clink or just some random buyer. Information helps everybody! Clink should consider what's best for the hobby instead of being lazy and selfish! 

5 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

For Roy - from Stan’s soapbox.

April 1972.

1824DA20-092B-4FE9-85A6-B9B9BA4B8D26.jpeg

My favorite new sayins is "Looking for progress over victory"

Stan was a man ahead of his time.

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

If HA can report everything to GPA why can't Clink? Or couldn't Clink at least report the auction results? They don't do it because it requires some work on their end. It's actually in their interest to have their impressive results publicised publicly for the community to see instead of having them just fade into oblivion and forgotten about! I mean what's the point??? Yeah they can feature a few record sales or near records on their front page but that's just a few. What about the rest? 

CC reports to GPA but it takes them forever. Anyway, its never a good idea to hide information for anybody regardless of it being Clink or just some random buyer. Information helps everybody! Clink should consider what's best for the hobby instead of being lazy and selfish! 

I think because Heritage has a special relationship with CGC their results get scraped automatically because their results are usually posted within a day or two.

CC manually sends the info over because their stuff takes more time, and CC also doesn't send EVERYTHING over. They're actually selective about which results get posted to my knowledge.

Heritage posts everything.

Clink believes their results are proprietary and don't want them shared. It's been that was since Day 1

Go Collect does have results from all 3 but from what I understand it takes them much longer to get these results (not sure why)

14 hours ago, HighVoltage said:

For Roy - from Stan’s soapbox.

April 1972.

1824DA20-092B-4FE9-85A6-B9B9BA4B8D26.jpeg

I just read Abraham Riesman's biography of Stan Lee, True Believer, in which he suggests Stan was so averse to conflict, that he used this basic argument for every issue. It became less about being a peacemaker and more about avoidance over time...