• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

amen! hopefully we can spread the word about this here because so many people are not aware of it. totally legal in texas to shill bid, therefore they do it legally. thats how i paid $9,000 for a $7,000 book. live and learn. 

Why bid early?  

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

That's just anecdotal evidence which totally falls apart as soon as anyone can show a book obtained for far less than the proxy bid (which I do below). Here are some of my purchases, some live, some proxy, 2 obtained for less than my proxy. I always bid guide or FMV so getting my comic for exactly what I bid makes perfect sense. As someone who is involved with stocks, placing a proxy bid just makes sense, since it not only removes any emotional circumstance of overpaying but it also ensures that you buy up all the possible deals. I am happy when I see that I got a comic at exactly my highest bid since that tells me that others also saw it worth that much but were worried of overpaying. They lost before they even started on the live bid.

image.thumb.png.4a4935192385fe20e926e3e1840a161c.png

Also man, if only it was the case that HA employees bid right up to your highest bid, I'd have so many nice books rather than losing out to just 1 incremental bid time and time again.

your books are very low dollar amount, therefore low priority for them. try pre- bidding on a 6k or over book and i am pretty confident you'll also experience the heritage texas shill bid. too many identical anecdotes on big books for this to be unfounded. i know two  dealers with the same story as mine, only worse. and numerous boardies. 

Just now, alexgross.com said:

so i am not wedded to my phone or computer during the live session, obviously-

Also true.  I hate waiting around for one or two books, but have had no success with proxy bidding.

5 minutes ago, zosocane said:

June 2021 and we saw eye-popping record prices across all ages on keys and semi-keys.  Let's see what July has in store for us.  i think more fuego, with no cool-down in sight.

59EzRCb.gif

6 hours ago, Artboy99 said:

some definite cooling on some books.

Check out Dark Knight Returns #1 cgc 9.8, and ASM 129

I think it depends on the grade. For ASM 129...the 9.8 just set an all time record selling for over 40k. It essentially doubled the previous record that was set a month earlier. The 9.6 just sold for the highest amount since April. The 9.4 also just had it's highest sale ever (not including a ridiculous Heritage sale in early June). The 9.2 also just had it's highest sale since April.

I don't see a cooling off for ASM 129.

33 minutes ago, Motor City Rob said:

I think it depends on the grade. For ASM 129...the 9.8 just set an all time record selling for over 40k. It essentially doubled the previous record that was set a month earlier. The 9.6 just sold for the highest amount since April. The 9.4 also just had it's highest sale ever (not including a ridiculous Heritage sale in early June). The 9.2 also just had it's highest sale since April.

I don't see a cooling off for ASM 129.

Actually, an ASM 129 sold on clink for $55.1K just a few weeks prior to the $40K sale on HA so the Clink sale is the record high price for this book.

since the sale of the $55.1K book, several 9.8’s have become available on Clink’s exchange and elsewhere.  The sellers were all asking in the neighborhood of $55K, but as the books remained unsold, they have started to lower their asking prices.  Unfortunately, no takers yet so clearly the asking prices need to be reduced further.

Prior to the $55.1K sale on Clink, ASM 129 in 9.8 sold for $33K on clink, and another copy also sold on HA for $33.6K.  Long story short, the book was reaching new record highs with each sale, culminating in the $55.1K record sale on clink.  That clink sale did NOT double the previous high water mark, but it was a huge upwards spike which has since deflated.

Edited by jjonahjameson11

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Actually, an ASM 129 sold on clink for $55.1K just a few weeks prior to the $40K sale on HA so the Clink sale is the record high price for this book.

since the sale of the $55.1K book, several 9.8’s have become available on Clink’s exchange and elsewhere.  The sellers were all asking in the neighborhood of $55K, but as the books remained unsold, they have started to lower their asking prices.  Unfortunately, no takers yet so clearly the asking prices need to be reduced further.

Prior to the $55.1K sale on Clink, ASM 129 in 9.8 sold for $33K on clink, and another copy also sold on HA for $33.6K.  Long story short, the book was reaching new record highs with each sale, culminating in the $55.1K record sale on clink.  That clink sale did NOT double the previous high water mark, but it was a huge upwards spike which has since deflated.

Thanks for the info. I don't know why GPA doesn't include CLink sales, but clearly the 9.8 value is even stronger than what GPA shows. That, coupled with the increases in 9.6, 9.4, and 9.2 trends, validates this book is still not cooling off (at least not in these high grades).

1 hour ago, Motor City Rob said:

Thanks for the info. I don't know why GPA doesn't include CLink sales, but clearly the 9.8 value is even stronger than what GPA shows. That, coupled with the increases in 9.6, 9.4, and 9.2 trends, validates this book is still not cooling off (at least not in these high grades).

GPA doesn't include Clink sales because Clink does not want them included. 

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

GPA doesn't include Clink sales because Clink does not want them included. 

Anyone know why?

Also not including what is becoming a leading auction house for these collectibles renders GPA almost useless.

21 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

The above is true.  CL has definitely stepped it up a couple notches up in terms of realized sale prices for GA books.  What once was a lagger because they were mainly considered to be the best auction house to consign SA and BA books, the recent results for GA books have been very strong. I'm very impressed.

I think most people caught on that CL was better for them selling wise, and have seen past the BS of the inflated selling figures of HA. So that brings bigger books to CLink, which brings in more collectors, which brings in higher prices and brings us to where we are now where you are better off consigning there. I will make fun of CLink's dated website and UI till the cows come home but that won't stop me from buying or selling there.

16 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

Anyone know why?

Also not including what is becoming a leading auction house for these collectibles renders GPA almost useless.

I think most people caught on that CL was better for them selling wise, and have seen past the BS of the inflated selling figures of HA. So that brings bigger books to CLink, which brings in more collectors, which brings in higher prices and brings us to where we are now where you are better off consigning there. I will make fun of CLink's dated website and UI till the cows come home but that won't stop me from buying or selling there.

Clink is definitely not user friendly. And I agree that them not playing with GPA hurts seller confidence in GPA values. 

I think of CL sales kinda like private sales where some maybe even most don't get reported. It's impossible to report every single comic book sale that exchange hands and also impossible to report them accurately. 

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Anyone know why?

I had a rather extensive discussion 6 years ago with one of the folks from Clink as to why they don't keep their sales info public, and the response that I received was so, um, 'non-sensical' to me (and I'm being very kind here) that I was left flabbergasted.

As for 'most people' having better results for comic sales via CLINK, I will say this:

For many years, I sold cgc books and OA via clink and HA.  On numerous (dozens) of occasions, the books were the same grade, same PQ. and I used to track the results to determine where I was getting the best results, even taking all fees into account.  During the first few years, it was too close to call, but over time, HA became the prevailing winner for me, 7 out of 10 times. 

For OA, it wasn't even close...HA had the best results by a landslide.  As a result, I stopped consigning with Clink and went all-in with HA.

Having said the aforementioned, both auction houses generate crazy prices and bargains in each auction.

45 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

I had a rather extensive discussion 6 years ago with one of the folks from Clink as to why they don't keep their sales info public, and the response that I received was so, um, 'non-sensical' to me (and I'm being very kind here) that I was left flabbergasted.

man, now I am more curious than before

18 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

It's important to note that the copy that sold for $55K was not only a Pedigree copy (and Peds generally fetch top dollar among collectors) but it was also a perfectly centered copy, which also fetches top dollar among collectors.

So it's REALLY hard to compare the $55K to any other copy until it meets these two criteria.