• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 2/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, 1Cool said:

I'd think it really depends on how much money is still in people's wallets after they pay for their necessary items.  If wages go up to meet inflation that you would think discretionary stuff like comics wouldn't see too bad a hit.  It's when wages stay the same then something has to give and stuff like comics have to be the first to be cut.

Wages probably have gone up in relation to inflation for folks changing jobs, but not so much for those who are not moving. I got a COLA, but it was 4%, and I had not gotten one since 2019, so clearly not keeping pace. You need $1.16 now to buy $1 worth of 1/1/2020 stuff. And if you are like me and have a variable second mortgage, you are absolutely phu*cked. All the other inflation, for the most part, I have figured out. I am a master grocery shopper and grocery budgeter, so I am good in that department. I don't drive THAT much. etc

Edited by the blob

On 2/14/2023 at 11:42 AM, Robot Man said:

A lot of stuff like PCH and obscure GS books like these, sold themselves without any push or discount.

I am more than happy to undercut these folks and still make a decent profit. 

PCH priced at FMV is a steady seller for my small sideline business (I sell only a couple hundred or so GA books a year, maybe 20% PCH). It's always popular and it might even help that most books are common enough that there are always overpriced copies listed that make mine look cheap on ebay. I think the general heat  for PCH has subsided a little bit, with more run of the mill books off their 2021 highs, but for anything with a cool cover the market is still strong.

On 2/17/2023 at 1:15 PM, rjpb said:

PCH priced at FMV is a steady seller for my small sideline business (I sell only a couple hundred or so GA books a year, maybe 20% PCH). It's always popular and it might even help that most books are common enough that there are always overpriced copies listed that make mine look cheap on ebay. I think the general heat  for PCH has subsided a little bit, with more run of the mill books off their 2021 highs, but for anything with a cool cover the market is still strong.

I've noticed the same thing you have. That with very common (relatively speaking) horror comics, particularly ECs, there are a lot listed on eBay waaay above market value, presumably in hopes of an ignorant buyer taking the bait. And of course, they just sit there, because most PCH isn't hot enough to where a rich guy will take a copy at any pricepoint. A funny personal example of this is when I found a copy of Haunt of Fear #17 in my house. Knew absolutely nothing about vintage comics at the time but I gathered instantly that the comic is old. Immediately went to look up prices, and thought "Oh my god!! This comic is worth a fortune!" because I took the posted $1200+ listings at face value. HOF #17 is a book that will sell, but in mid-grade, definitely not for that much. I'm pretty sure those listings are still up on the site, and I found this book like 2 years ago.

Edited by L'Angelo Misterioso

On 2/22/2023 at 4:13 AM, Westy Steve said:

I thought I’d share this.  I was explaining to a coworker how prices on collectibles went up across the board due to Covid and they have since dropped back… But not to pre-Covid levels. Then it occurred to me that during Covid it’s reasonable that new collectors joined our ranks.  It likely was not just the Covid money, but Covid likely rekindled peoples interest in collecting comic books and other things. Here’s the interesting part. If you agree with that, then it’s reasonable to assume that many of these new collectors are still with us post Covid. This is why prices will not drop back to pre-Covid levels. There are more collectors now than there used to be. Demand is higher due to a larger collector base.

The spike in sport card prices, sent a lot of them over to our side.   The non existent population numbers, and broad price bands enticed enough of them to try the hobby.   A lot of the books that spiked, reflected a novice understanding of the hobby.   

On 2/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, Microchip said:

The spike in sport card prices, sent a lot of them over to our side.   The non existent population numbers, and broad price bands enticed enough of them to try the hobby.   A lot of the books that spiked, reflected a novice understanding of the hobby.   

And perhaps some of them stuck around because comic collecting is more awesome. 

On 2/21/2023 at 10:39 PM, Westy Steve said:

And perhaps some of them stuck around because comic collecting is more awesome. 

It's interesting to think about this in the context of the broader (and endless) debate about the long term health of the hobby. 

It would seem that comic collecting is healthier than ever. Those new collectors that flooded the market during Covid haven't fully left. Prices are still higher for many keys than I ever thought was possible. 

The doomsday folks have always said comic collectors would age out of the hobby. People who grew up reading comics would fade and comics would struggle to maintain value. 

I actually think the opposite is happening. The movies kicked off a new generation of comic lovers. Kids who started watching those movies 20 years ago are now 30 and entering our hobby with money.  

On 2/22/2023 at 8:35 AM, KCOComics said:

It's interesting to think about this in the context of the broader (and endless) debate about the long term health of the hobby. 

It would seem that comic collecting is healthier than ever. Those new collectors that flooded the market during Covid haven't fully left. Prices are still higher for many keys than I ever thought was possible. 

The doomsday folks have always said comic collectors would age out of the hobby. People who grew up reading comics would fade and comics would struggle to maintain value. 

I actually think the opposite is happening. The movies kicked off a new generation of comic lovers. Kids who started watching those movies 20 years ago are now 30 and entering our hobby with money.  

I agree with this. But you don’t need good demographics. It could be like my Porsche 356. When I was in college I really wanted one and they cost about $8000. After I got out of school and started making good money they were about $15,000 and I should’ve bought one because at the time I could afford one. Today they’re like $80,000 minimum and I can’t justify that. (FYI: In all honesty I could sell one of my town houses to buy it, but that would be stupid.)  My point here is that kids today I don’t even know what a Porsche 356 is. And it’s not something they would want because it’s not fast or reliable. It’s the same pool of guys who are chasing that car.  But over time, some of those guys got wealthier than I did and so they can afford them or they bought them and won’t sell. Demand didn’t really increase. Supply didn’t increase and the number for sale may be lower. But what changed is the difference in wealth levels in the top 10% of the people who are willing to buy them or at least hang onto them. There are 10 guys who want one for every 1 car, so if you’re not in the top 10% you’re out of luck.

On 2/22/2023 at 6:35 AM, KCOComics said:

I have very little data to support my viewpoint - but my personal examples are of my step-son (21 and in the military) and step-son-in-law (Periodontist) - with normal expendable income. Both are HUGE comic movie nerds (of Marvel, DC and Indy stuff) and I have always tried to encourage comics and comic collecting. Both are patently not interested in comic books, back issues, trades or even digital stuff - just the movie universes. To me, it seems odd that you'd be so nerdy about the movies but not interested in the other peripheral stuff that goes with them.

On 2/22/2023 at 1:49 PM, Dr. Balls said:

I have very little data to support my viewpoint - but my personal examples are of my step-son (21 and in the military) and step-son-in-law (Periodontist) - with normal expendable income. Both are HUGE comic movie nerds (of Marvel, DC and Indy stuff) and I have always tried to encourage comics and comic collecting. Both are patently not interested in comic books, back issues, trades or even digital stuff - just the movie universes. To me, it seems odd that you'd be so nerdy about the movies but not interested in the other peripheral stuff that goes with them.

It's a good point. 

But I also think not everyone who read comics collects comics.  My uncle read every comic the day it came out.  He is in his 70s now and during marvels most prominent years (61 -65) he was buying every FF, ASM and Avengers comic from the local drug store.  It's frustrating because I'll show him pictures of ASM 1 and FF48 and he's like "oh yeah, I owned that" and can even remember the stories. 

He turned 16, got interested in girls, met my aunt and never read, thought about or looked at a comic again until his annoying nephew started asking questions.   Over the years my grandmother threw them all out.  Point being, there will be millions and millions of movie fans, just as there were millions of comic readers.   Only a small fraction will turn into collectors. 

But I think it will keep the hobby going just as it has for the last 50 years. 

On 2/22/2023 at 2:11 PM, KCOComics said:

He turned 16, got interested in girls, met my aunt and never read, thought about or looked at a comic again until his annoying nephew started asking questions.   Over the years my grandmother threw them all out.  Point being, there will be millions and millions of movie fans, just as there were millions of comic readers.   Only a small fraction will turn into collectors. 

But I think it will keep the hobby going just as it has for the last 50 years. 

Agreed... I've been saying this for about forty years now (cause these debates about the longevity of the hobby have been going on at least since I started in the 1970s)... comic book collecting as a hobby will only collapse when the superhero itself collapses.  Absent that, there will always be a sufficient number of fans that will gravitate to the original source material.  I'm a great example from fifty years ago... I was a huge Superman fan from the old George Reeves TV series well before I bought my first comic (well, actually my mother bought it when I kept whining while she was shopping at Woolworths :bigsmile:).

Edited by EastEnd1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:40 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:
On 2/22/2023 at 2:27 PM, VintageComics said:

You have a Porsche 356?

Gulp. :cloud9:

No

Read the post :makepoint:

I misunderstood. He should have written "It could have been like the Porsche 356 I wanted".

My bad. 

On 2/22/2023 at 3:21 PM, VintageComics said:

I misunderstood. He should have written "It could have been like the Porsche 356 I wanted".

My bad. 

He still wants it.  But refuses to trade one of his extra houses for it.

Try to keep up 

On 2/21/2023 at 6:00 PM, Microchip said:

On 2/21/2023 at 7:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Let me fix that for you..................a lot of the books that spiked, reflected a novice MISunderstanding of the hobby.  :facepalm:

On 2/22/2023 at 8:35 AM, KCOComics said:

Even without the movies, I don't think comic book values will tank just because people are aging out of the hobby and the medium is losing mainstream favorability. Maybe a lot of these bronze age speculator keys will crash, but a lot of Golden and Silver age comics will hold their value. Some have said "Well, besides Batman, Superman, Spiderman, and Cap, everything else (like PCH, GGA, and obscure heroes) will crash." But, really old comics will always have value due to 1) cultural and historical significance 2) they're cool antiquities that aren't artificially scarce 3) there will always be people who are into vintage art, ephemera, and propaganda, and comics appeal to enthusiasts in those avenues. Most people today have no nostalgic connection to a bulk of Golden Age series, yet they're still in extremely high demand. Comics will do just fine, with or without the comic movie craze.