• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,171 posts in this topic

On 9/16/2023 at 9:50 AM, Courageous Cat said:

I'd wait till spring and I wouldn't consign GA books to clink,  imo if you have 5k worth of goodies or more, HA is the place for GA, whereas SA/BA books tend to do ok at Clink. Super nice folks at Link, but the few times I did consign there, I felt HA gets better returns albeit higher commission unfortunately 

On 9/16/2023 at 6:03 PM, kimik said:

I would submit GA/SA/BA to Heritage right now. Clink prices have been weak for months now, and it is a better place to buy than sell. Heritage is getting better prices now even with the high BP based on my experience with the two sites this year. I can's speak to CC or Mycomicshop as I have not consigned anything there.

Try telling this to the consignor who consigned their CGC 9.8 copy of TMNT 1 to Heritage instead of the other Big 2 auction houses:  :gossip:

On 9/9/2023 at 6:52 AM, pubmonkey said:

I haven't been on top of things for last couple of weeks so just checking out hammer prices now:

CC: $155,520 - finished

CL: $131,000 - finished

HA: $90,000 5 days left  $120,000 - Finished

Quite a far cry from the $200,000+ in 2021...

Yep, the Heritage copy finished the lowest out of the 3 CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1 that have all closed since the last week of August.  :whatthe:

Also, if I remembered correctly, weren't most of those quarter million dollar sales or thereabouts for TMNT 1 coming from CC and not Heritage?  hm

As for GA, I believe it's really not a case of one size fits all as there have also been a lot of record breaking prices on GA being generated by CC in their Event Auctions and you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of trying to negotiate your fees downwards which seems to be the thing with Heritage.  :p

On 9/16/2023 at 10:29 AM, Number 6 said:

Do you happen to know if the $5,000 threshold is limited to just one category or can you get to that total combining categories, like comics and books?

On 9/16/2023 at 11:03 AM, Courageous Cat said:

5k is Ha's min per category. They prefer more than that, but I believe thats their bottom line. 

Is this something new in terms of Heritage's consignment requirements because this is the first time that I've heard of a minimum consignment threshold?  ???

Also, what do you mean in terms of "category"..............comic books and coins, or Golden Age and Bronze Age?  hm

On 9/16/2023 at 10:48 PM, lou_fine said:

Try telling this to the consignor who consigned their CGC 9.8 copy of TMNT 1 to Heritage instead of the other Big 2 auction houses:  :gossip:

Yep, the Heritage copy finished the lowest out of the 3 CGC 9.8 graded copies of TMNT 1 that have all closed since the last week of August.  :whatthe:

Also, if I remembered correctly, weren't most of those quarter million dollar sales or thereabouts for TMNT 1 coming from CC and not Heritage?  hm

As for GA, I believe it's really not a case of one size fits all as there have also been a lot of record breaking prices on GA being generated by CC in their Event Auctions and you wouldn't have to go through the hassle of trying to negotiate your fees downwards which seems to be the thing with Heritage.  :p

He said GA/SA/BA and TMNT is copper.  

On 9/17/2023 at 12:48 AM, lou_fine said:

CC now charge a Bidder's Premium on some auctions. They started a couple of years ago and I know a few sellers who stopped selling through them because of it. 

So it's a misnomer that Heritage only charges a buying premium these days. 

At this time Clink is the only auction house that doesn't. 

On 9/17/2023 at 11:03 PM, VintageComics said:

CC now charge a Bidder's Premium on some auctions. They started a couple of years ago and I know a few sellers who stopped selling through them because of it. 

That surprises me. I thought it was the sellers demanding the premium so they pocketed more. Why would they stop because of that? I still sold my Bat 1 thru CC; I just didn’t ask for a Buyers Premium 

From what I've been watching, Heritage is still the gold standard on golden age... a bit weaker on silver and later.  But it's been this way for a long time.

My experience has been that Heritage does have a minimum consignment threshold, but it has some flexibility depending on the material and relationship potential.  They also have a minimum per item average value per consignment which probably also has some flexibility.

My impression on the Comic Connect buyer's premium was also that it was seller driven... that it came into play in zero seller commission situations.  But I've never consigned to CC and I could be wrong about that.

I'm a fan of ComicLink and have been using them for at least twenty years... but I do feel that they've become a bit of a dumping ground in the last few years and there's too much weak material in each auction.  I used to scroll through every auction.  Now I lose interest after a few pages (usually happens when I get to Amaz Spidey... the listings are endless!).  I think ComicLink could use a bit more selectivity in what they accept. Maybe not to the point of Heritage... but 7.5 regular old moderns shouldn't be there.

Edited by EastEnd1

On 9/18/2023 at 12:03 AM, VintageComics said:

I'm just guessing, but my assumption is that they are passing on costs when the seller negotiates a lower commission on a premium collection.  This is the same principle they (and others) use when adding a 3% "premium" that just coincidentally happens to align with their credit card fees when buyers use credit cards.

So what I'm imagining is that they tell the seller they'll keep something less than 10% of the hammer price, but they (more than) make up for it with a buyer's premium.  You may remember that when they first started experimenting with this, they would sometimes say 5% and sometimes 15%.  These days it seems to be consistently 15%.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 9/16/2023 at 2:03 PM, Courageous Cat said:

First off, MCS? super, super nice folk, but unless you're sending a bunch of drek, I wouldn't do that. You are just setting yourself up for low $$ results. 5k is Ha's min per category. They prefer more than that, but I believe thats their bottom line. If it were me with SA/BA? Clink or CC. Best to you

But what are we talking about? 100 $50-75 type books? Or 20 $250-300 type books? Or 10 $500 type books? (Will HA even do the 100 $50-75 type books? I don'

I don't think they do well with lots?

Edited by the blob

So prices are lower

Screenshot_20230918-181308.thumb.png.0abb17513c672ef860030b8ebf9475cd.png

Not rare, warehouse copies found so not rare in 6.0-8.0

I think this sold over FMV

Screenshot_20230918-181243.thumb.png.1ee06eb35a75a2db3bc8f846d767849e.png

I think this book sold for over FMV?

Screenshot_20230918-181127.thumb.png.5e9f2125d88911ad197c2d105dce2240.png

A group of books, thinking it may normally sell cheaper because it's a group of not Uber high grade. My bid was a throw away bid and knew it wouldn't come close to winning.

But it appears this kit went for over FMV?

Maybe there are corrections on Key books worth a lot of money to begin with. But I'm seeing a different result in books I'm interested in and I see it regularly.

Its amazing that prices can be so much lower and yet I feel to buy things other than comics. Idk if fomo was hunting down the deals or not?

Still bin diving, and yet there is little that I'm in a rush as a planned purchase. I do have a list I'm saving for, and yet I welcome the sense of freedom to find a what I can on any given day as it comes. :)

On 9/17/2023 at 9:03 PM, VintageComics said:

On 9/18/2023 at 4:43 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That surprises me. I thought it was the sellers demanding the premium so they pocketed more. Why would they stop because of that?

Like Clark had correctly stated, why would the consignors stopped selling through CC because of the Buyer's Premium when they were the ones that asked for it just in order to squeeze an extra 1.3% out from CC's standard 10% auction commission fee?  (:

Or is it because they feel that there will now be less eyeballs on the CC Event Auctions because potential bidders/buyers are turned off by thei 15% BP and will not bother to participate in the CC auctions anymore, which I would somehow doubt?  hm  (shrug)

On 9/18/2023 at 5:24 PM, the blob said:

But what are we talking about? 100 $50-75 type books? Or 20 $250-300 type books? Or 10 $500 type books? (Will HA even do the 100 $50-75 type books? I don'

t think they do well with lots?

good question, I've only dealt with GA, Sorry, wish I could be of more help, but I'm pretty sure HA doesn't wish to deal with 20.00 books, but I could be wrong 

On 9/19/2023 at 5:34 AM, Courageous Cat said:

good question, I've only dealt with GA, Sorry, wish I could be of more help, but I'm pretty sure HA doesn't wish to deal with 20.00 books, but I could be wrong 

I think they deal with filtering out a lot of the low value stuff by having a minimum average per item value for each consignment.  So, for instance, if you consign ten $50 books along with ten $1000 books, that works out to an average of $550 per book and they'll likely accept all of them.  But I don't think they'd accept say 50 $50 books cause it would fail both the minimum overall value threshold and also the minimum per item value threshold (unless perhaps you have an established relationship with them of otherwise consigning big ticket books).    

Edited by EastEnd1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:20 PM, southern cross said:

So prices are lower

Screenshot_20230918-181308.thumb.png.0abb17513c672ef860030b8ebf9475cd.png

Not rare, warehouse copies found so not rare in 6.0-8.0

I think this sold over FMV

Screenshot_20230918-181243.thumb.png.1ee06eb35a75a2db3bc8f846d767849e.png

I think this book sold for over FMV?

Screenshot_20230918-181127.thumb.png.5e9f2125d88911ad197c2d105dce2240.png

A group of books, thinking it may normally sell cheaper because it's a group of not Uber high grade. My bid was a throw away bid and knew it wouldn't come close to winning.

But it appears this kit went for over FMV?

Maybe there are corrections on Key books worth a lot of money to begin with. But I'm seeing a different result in books I'm interested in and I see it regularly.

Is there something about that collection or any specific issue in that run? I agree, a lot selling like that for guide is pretty wild if they are just a bunch of rando 5.0 books. I have a long box of romance books like that.

Thanks for the responses. 

Yeah, I have a couple of books that would be in the $1000 range, maybe a handful in the $400-$500 range and the rest probably $100-$250 range. And none of it really the kind stuff that would make them jump and say ‘we want that in our auction’. 

Just to clarify:  when I mentioned sending them to MCS, I meant sending them to be listed as BIN.  I agree, I’d get slaughtered at auction there. 

It just seems like Clink has gotten back to where it was pre-pandemic:  stuff picked up at decent prices and then flipped and sold on eBay for more. Great if your a buyer…though it never seems to work for me when I decide to bid on something. 

On 9/19/2023 at 5:34 AM, Courageous Cat said:

They do in a lot, I think, not so much individually.

They're a little weird, I tried to consign the full art to Lobo 2 from Dell (of note because it was the first comic series devoted to a black hero, but Heritage just viewed it as 23 pages of generic Dell art, didn't see why anyone would care about the historical significance) and they would not take it because they did not see it cracking $750. Needless to say I put it up on ebay and it quickly sold for about $2000. And for years I have been getting inquiries about it (probably because I posted about it here). Probably worth $5000 now.

Auction houses are weird. I have two signed large photos from Lord Snowden (Anthony Armstrong Jones)  -- Princess Margaret's Husband who was featured in some of these crown bio movies -- that were gifted to my mother eons ago. I figured they'd be an easy $1500 a pop based on his other sales but none of the auction houses in NYC wanted to deal with them on their own, they probably would have if I had 10 more though. I actually have not tried Heritage, dunno how they are on photos. 

Edited by the blob

On 9/19/2023 at 11:34 AM, Number 6 said:

Thanks for the responses. 

Yeah, I have a couple of books that would be in the $1000 range, maybe a handful in the $400-$500 range and the rest probably $100-$250 range. And none of it really the kind stuff that would make them jump and say ‘we want that in our auction’. 

Just to clarify:  when I mentioned sending them to MCS, I meant sending them to be listed as BIN.  I agree, I’d get slaughtered at auction there. 

It just seems like Clink has gotten back to where it was pre-pandemic:  stuff picked up at decent prices and then flipped and sold on eBay for more. Great if your a buyer…though it never seems to work for me when I decide to bid on something. 

Are they slabbed?

On 9/19/2023 at 8:28 AM, the blob said:

Is there something about that collection or any specific issue in that run? I agree, a lot selling like that for guide is pretty wild if they are just a bunch of rando 5.0 books. I have a long box of romance books like that.

Yeah, the Lovers spanking cover. But that's just one book in that lot I can see of note.

Edited by southern cross