• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 10/22/2023 at 11:52 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

I see this all the time. Big auction houses bringing in hefty prices while virtually the same book sells at almost the same time for 20% less on eBay. But WOW, that's a huge difference. In related news, I've been picking up bargains on eBay for the past month. Big buyers giving up on that site?

What are the page qualities?

How do the books look up close? 

Any chipping on the cheaper one? Larger or obvious defects. 

$10K price swing is possible for a difference in eye appeal. 

I remember when a boardie here bought an FF #1 with White pages and he paid something like double or triple market value for the book. 

He posted it here and said he was thrilled to buy it because it was so WHITE. 

Sometimes all it takes is being in the right or wrong place at that time. 

I see this all the time. Big auction houses bringing in hefty prices while virtually the same book sells at almost the same time for 20% less on eBay. But WOW, that's a huge difference. In related news, I've been picking up bargains on eBay for the past month. Big buyers giving up on that site?

Poor choice to sell a book like that on eBay. Fees, potential for chargeback, book gets lost/damaged. Buyers factor in the risk in their bid as well.

On 10/22/2023 at 8:52 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

i certainly have not used feebay for a long time. perhaps i should since there seem to be deals, and their policies dramatically favor the buyers, and screw the sellers. this was quite a deal- 

Edited by alexgross.com
edited

I have also picked up a couple books I thought were pretty good GA deals recently. Of course, the PCH, GA keys and usual gang of suspects have seen some remarkable prices especially lower grade copies. I have no idea on other ages other than GA which sees no indication of slowing up. 

On 10/23/2023 at 10:59 PM, whomerjay said:

Poor choice to sell a book like that on eBay. Fees, potential for chargeback, book gets lost/damaged. Buyers factor in the risk in their bid as well.

Thats it in a nutshell.   The bay is not the place to be buying or selling big ticket items.  

I''m surprised the Hulk #1 was only a 20% margin under the Clink result.

On 10/22/2023 at 10:34 PM, VintageComics said:

I remember when a boardie here bought an FF #1 with White pages and he paid something like double or triple market value for the book. 

Wow, surprised that they would have crack it out to verify the White pages, but always good to enjoy a book the way it was ment to be enjoyed. (thumbsu

On 10/22/2023 at 10:52 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

The site has been terrible for years. Shocked they even have a big buyer following anymore. Most people don't want to lock up 5 digits on a gamble and would rather have a sure thing.

On 10/23/2023 at 7:59 AM, whomerjay said:

The fees on ebay are extremely competitive for big books. If you have a store, it's 12.5% for the first $2500 but only 0.025% for any amount above that. Plus a 10% discount on fees if you’re top rated. That is one of the best fee structures of any platform. 

I don't necessarily see that as trend. I see just as many ebay sold prices outperforming the big auction houses. But I do agree this difference is significant. 

On 10/23/2023 at 7:26 PM, lou_fine said:
On 10/23/2023 at 1:34 AM, VintageComics said:

Wow, surprised that they would have crack it out to verify the White pages, but always good to enjoy a book the way it was ment to be enjoyed. (thumbsu

He didn't crack it out to verify them. He cracked it out to enjoy them. 

It was @peewee22

On 10/17/2023 at 11:38 PM, Microchip said:

Time to get into... WTH!!   Even DarkHawk costs real money to collect!!!

image.thumb.png.c0aaea485ce0ec4d6c5b1c55c7483f3f.png

The fact that guys are paying more than $50 for this book stagers me :preach: 

Wait, so Darkhawk #1 really isn't worth that?  One of my favorite comic book YouTubers has done me dirty even after I liked, commented, and subscribed?! :ohnoez:

Edited by Telegan

On 10/23/2023 at 10:51 PM, Telegan said:

Wait, so Darkhawk #1 really isn't worth that?  One of my favorite comic book YouTubers has done me dirty even after I liked, commented, and subscribed?! :ohnoez:

Well, from that chart you posted, it's clearly worth $50 if you are buying a graded and slabbed CGC 9.8 copy.  (thumbsu

If it's a raw book that you are conidering buying and then submitting to CGC hoping to get it back as a CGC 9.8 certified copy, then probably NOT worth $50 because there's also a good chance it could come back as a 9.6 copy or possibly even lower and what is it worth in those grade?  hm  :tonofbricks:

On 10/24/2023 at 12:13 AM, Microchip said:

Dam you Taika Waititi!!!!

From high of $2,500 speculating dollars for the variant, all the way down to "no one was bidding" sale of $18 doh!:facepalm::shy:

Not sure why Taika Waititi deserves any of the real blame here when it's probably due entirely to the crazed lunatic bidders who brought into and live in the triple whammy fantasy world of movie hype, CGC 9.8's, and variant covers who jacked the book all the way up to those unsupportable $2,500 heights and now it has fallen back down to the real world that we all live in.  hm  (shrug)

Usually just buying into one of these disappearing pots of gold is a financial danger to your wallet longer term, but to buy into all three of them with your one shot is almost a sure fire way to lose not only your shirt, but also you pants at the same time, especially if you brought in at the height of the crazyness or waited too long until the magical rainbow started to dissipate before selling.  :tonofbricks:  :tonofbricks:

On 10/24/2023 at 1:17 PM, lou_fine said:

Not sure why Taika Waititi deserves any of the real blame here

It's because the movie was bad....:gossip:

Though, I suspect there's no way the book could have maintained those prices even had it been a cinematic masterpiece.  

On 10/24/2023 at 1:06 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, from that chart you posted, it's clearly worth $50 if you are buying a graded and slabbed CGC 9.8 copy.  (thumbsu

If it's a raw book that you are conidering buying and then submitting to CGC hoping to get it back as a CGC 9.8 certified copy, then probably NOT worth $50 because there's also a good chance it could come back as a 9.6 copy or possibly even lower and what is it worth in those grade?  hm  :tonofbricks:

FYI, I didn't post it - I just quoted it.  My comment was only in sarcasm to one Mr. Swagglehaus. :D  I, personally, have no interest in the comic - especially at that $160 price.  Or do I?  Hmm....  There is a reason Darkhawk #1 is worth that much, and it's the same reason why bull-runs in comics, crypto, stocks, etc. all start and keep going.  It's just speculation fueled by FOMO and hype (even the meme-tastic sarcastic joking hype in the case of Darkhawk #1).  I know people that have bought that book just to be silly.  It's like if you mock and joke about something enough, it generates interest into buying it or something.  It's crazy.

I mean, if you want to take it further, why is any comic book worth $5, $50, or $500?  "Because it's the first appearance of Superman!"  Yeah, and?!  Something is of value to someone because they placed that value on it.  Similarly, I once valued X-Force #1 ... many times. I learned.  Sorta.  lol.  If someone's looking to make tons of money off their 27 copies of Darkhawk #1, then they'll learn, too.