• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,172 posts in this topic

I'm hoping to be largely "out" of my collection in 15 years so seems that I'm going to time it just right :shiftyeyes:. I'm treating it like a long term investment and hoping to realize a 20% return. Is that realistic? (shrug) Certainly obtainable for my early OO collection that I paid 25-60 cents a book for, not so much with the run of the mill moderns, so hopefully there is some type of balance in there. I'm hoping to make up that difference in the higher end books I do own. I'm never going to get rich off my collection, I'm just a small fish in a really big pond.

Fascinating thread though, and quite interesting to see all the red in the recent sales. I likely have overpaid for a few books in the past three years, so far the larger $$ ones I waited until late 2022/early 2023 to purchase seem to be maintaining or only realizing a small drop off. 

On 11/7/2023 at 3:14 PM, 1Cool said:

By the way - Roy only has 352 post until he hits 100,000 posts!  Will he hit this milestone this week??

Dude, I was almost at 104K at the start of the year. 

When Mike banned me from the Water Cooler (people got tired of being schooled) I lost over 3000 posts. 

On 11/7/2023 at 4:11 PM, MAR1979 said:

Or another multi-week banning? Whats the over/under?

Never again. :D

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/7/2023 at 2:08 PM, Book Guy said:

a friend of mine who is quite expert on that field and very dialed in to the market, including the top end. He made an interesting observation that digital generation collectors were very focused on showing off their collections online, Facebook, Instagram etc and that status was often a major motive for collecting. Bragging Rights...

This very forum is host to threads hundreds of pages long of people showing off their collections and acquisitions. Its the same in every forum dedicated to collecting I've ever been on. It's not just the younger collectors...

On 11/7/2023 at 9:22 AM, VintageComics said:

I just don't know at this point when the light will fade, but this is FAR too convenient a time to build a case that the sky is falling is during the single greatest asset correction in world history with record inflation, record energy prices, record number of wars yada, yada, yada. This is quite literally an unprecedented time in modern history and you can't draw hard and fast rules around this unprecedented time.

Agreed.  Right now we've been watching industry demand shift from "Superhero First Appearances" to older, less common books with above average cover art.  Because of that shift, I feel better than ever about the longevity of comic books as a valuable collectible.  A superhero first appearance is something I can show to other comic nerds and get a "wow" response.  Above average cover art in a golden age comic is something I can show to anyone I know and get a "wow".  Don't feel great about the short-term, but I feel good about the long-term.  

Edited by Nick Furious

On 11/2/2023 at 9:11 AM, VintageComics said:

Disney delaying the FF and X-men franchises are MONSTER factors in the decline of anything related to those two titles.

If you are banking on movies being the salvation of your specific comics, I certainly wouldn't hold my breath if I was a collector because haven't we all seen this scenario before and only good for the speculators and flippers who can timed the market perfectly. hm

Especially since movie or TV related comic books tends to have only a short term temporary rocket-like spike which is then followed by the rocket ship falling back down to Earth.  :Rocket:

On 11/2/2023 at 9:11 AM, VintageComics said:

Just imagine a Surfer story line is released through film?

Haven't we already seen a FF movie with a Silver Surfer story line built in there about some 15 odd years ago?  :gossip:

On 11/7/2023 at 10:58 PM, lou_fine said:
On 11/2/2023 at 12:11 PM, VintageComics said:

Just imagine a Surfer story line is released through film?

Haven't we already seen a FF movie with a Silver Surfer story line built in there about some 15 odd years ago?  :gossip:

Yeah. It was carp though (the fish Lizard2 loves, not the doo doo). 

Disney is so obviously going to redo the entire Marvel Universe. They didn't spend $100BIL to squat on it. 

Like I said, they are S-T-A-L-L-I-N-G until contracts expire so they can restart the franchises. They've just been biding their time with all of these other stinkers they put out.

Edited by VintageComics

On 11/8/2023 at 12:10 PM, DC# said:

$100k at 5% CAGR for 15 years would be right at $200k (100% return).    A 20% return over that period would require a 1.3% CAGR (probably less than inflation).   So not a stretch to think you will hit 20% but also likely that all of us could make more by selling today regardless of market conditions/prices and moving the capital to other investments.    If it were only about the money.......

this reminds me, when it come to tangible assets of course there is no guarantee they hold their value much less keep up with inflation. I frequently watch Antique Roadshow reruns that show the estimated value from a range of shows from 2005 -2018 and then they show the updated value for 2023. So many things have gone down or stayed flat, and and it they stayed flat from 2007, well you lost money due to inflation, about 3/4 in fact.  My wife and I play the game of if it went up or down and by how much, and I'm probably right 75% of the time. The trend I see is mostly generational, as  those items were of cultural or practical importance to one generation, they peak after 50-75 years and then they drop off. American Comics are well passed their shelf-life date. We've spent the last 25 years with a moribund medium of cross-overs, reboots, death and rebirth, re-hash, gender and race swaps, and 17 different series that have Infinity Gloves, Garters, Gauntlets, Gum-ball Machines, and Garden Gnomes. What filled that void? The little device in your pocket (no not that one, the other one) and a side order of Manga. 

On 11/9/2023 at 9:21 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

The trend I see is mostly generational, as  those items were of cultural or practical importance to one generation, they peak after 50-75 years and then they drop off. American Comics are well passed their shelf-life date. We've spent the last 25 years with a moribund medium of cross-overs, reboots, death and rebirth, re-hash, gender and race swaps, and 17 different series that have Infinity Gloves, Garters, Gauntlets, Gum-ball Machines, and Garden Gnomes. What filled that void? The little device in your pocket (no not that one, the other one) and a side order of Manga. 

Just curious whether the 50-75 years is measured from the start of the era or from the start of widespread collecting?  For example, U.S. coin and stamp collecting were big in the middle of the 20th century, but the items had already been around for 150+ years.

So, if the 50-75 year estimate starts with the beginning of widespread collecting, comics would be about 1963 starting as widespread collectible, and we're in roughly year 60.

On 11/9/2023 at 9:45 AM, valiantman said:

Just curious whether the 50-75 years is measured from the start of the era or from the start of widespread collecting?  For example, U.S. coin and stamp collecting were big in the middle of the 20th century, but the items had already been around for 150+ years.

So, if the 50-75 year estimate starts with the beginning of widespread collecting, comics would be about 1963 starting as widespread collectible, and we're in roughly year 60.

That’s a valid question, some things were not hobby’s that became collectible. Like MCM furniture or uranium glass, while stamps, coins, matchbooks, trains, those were hobby’s that were “pursued” for pleasure until they were collected for profit. Comics seem somewhere in the middle. They certainly have done better than old National Geographic magazines! It’s also hard to pinpoint because collecting is mostly a post-war sign of middle class affluence by and large and many things became hobby’s to pursue with disposable income in a relatively short time frame. Your age and interests relative to that era (Silent Generation, Greatest Generation, Boomer, old Gen X really make it fuzzy. My contention is that Gen X is the end of that contiguous shared experience. 

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 11/9/2023 at 10:54 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

That’s a valid question, some things were not hobby’s that became collectible. Like MCM furniture or uranium glass, while stamps, coins, matchbooks, trains, those were hobby’s that were “pursued” for pleasure until they were collected for profit. Comics seem somewhere in the middle. They certainly have done better than old National Geographic magazines! It’s also hard to pinpoint because collecting is mostly a post-war sign of middle class affluence by and large and many things became hobby’s to pursue with disposable income in a relatively short time frame. Your age and interests relative to that era (Silent Generation, Greatest Generation, Boomer, old Gen X really make it fuzzy. My contention is that Gen X is the end of that contiguous shared experience. 

It’s funny you mention National Geographic. When I was a kid looking for other stuff, even junkyards knew to ask a lot for National Geographic. I recall prices for generic 40s issues being $3 to $5, and double that if they had a Coke ad on the back cover. The earlier all-text covers were $10 and up. The first issue was a holy grail worth $10,000 and up. It’s just remarkable what that same money spent on comics or pulps could’ve bought.

Edited by PopKulture

On 11/9/2023 at 12:03 PM, PopKulture said:

It’s funny you mention National Geographic. When I was a kid looking for other stuff, even junkyards knew to ask a lot for National Geographic. I recall prices for generic 40s issues being $3 to $5, and double that if they had a Coke ad on the back cover. The earlier all-text covers were $10 and up. The first issue was a holy grail worth $10,000 and up. It’s just remarkable what that same money spent on comics could’ve bought in comics or pulps. 

I never really understood why most magazines have zero collectability but comics became such a major collectible.  Time magazines to old Playboys to National Geographics to Home and Garden - all but a handful of issues are basically worthless even when they are 50 - 60 years old.  

On 11/9/2023 at 11:06 AM, 1Cool said:

I never really understood why most magazines have zero collectability but comics became such a major collectible.  Time magazines to old Playboys to National Geographics to Home and Garden - all but a handful of issues are basically worthless even when they are 50 - 60 years old.  

Playboy has been crashing hard for years now. Various issues of Time have held their value solidly, with many new “key” issues arising because of society and technology, like the now-valued Steve Jobs or Bill Gates early covers. The 40s and 50s celebrity and sports star issues are still in demand. 

At one time, many magazines were treasured for their ads, which were commonly framed and used as decor, and that has definitely fallen by the wayside. I haven’t been in anyone’s house for years and seen an Old Dutch ad.  :nyah:

On 11/9/2023 at 7:21 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

this reminds me, when it come to tangible assets of course there is no guarantee they hold their value much less keep up with inflation. I frequently watch Antique Roadshow reruns that show the estimated value from a range of shows from 2005 -2018 and then they show the updated value for 2023. So many things have gone down or stayed flat, and and it they stayed flat from 2007, well you lost money due to inflation, about 3/4 in fact.  My wife and I play the game of if it went up or down and by how much, and I'm probably right 75% of the time. The trend I see is mostly generational, as  those items were of cultural or practical importance to one generation, they peak after 50-75 years and then they drop off. American Comics are well passed their shelf-life date. We've spent the last 25 years with a moribund medium of cross-overs, reboots, death and rebirth, re-hash, gender and race swaps, and 17 different series that have Infinity Gloves, Garters, Gauntlets, Gum-ball Machines, and Garden Gnomes. What filled that void? The little device in your pocket (no not that one, the other one) and a side order of Manga. 

If you bought AF#15 5.0 or Showcase #4 5.0 in 2005 at around $5k and $3k respectively - you would have had around a 15% annual return by start of 2023.   That is compared to around a 9% annual rate for the S&P 500.   Even a common ASM #252 in 9.8 would have generated around 12% annually over that time.      As they say - past performance is not a guarantee of future performance - but that was a good period of time for at least some books if not a lot of books.      

That period had drivers (superhero film boom, COVID liquidity boom) and drags (2008 financial crisis, post COVID bust).   But the unknown is the impact of generational dynamics that everyone has been debating and how long they might last.    I am personally a little skeptical that books will see double-digit annual returns from today over the next 15 years.   With no expertise whatsoever, I would think 5-7% annual growth would be surprisingly good.      

Another example of how some, more rare collectibles are doing well still.    PSA 10 of a Luke Skywalker "rookie card" just sold for a what I believe is a record $78k.   Only 9 cards at this grade.  Previous high according to PSA site was $55k back in 2021 - and the card was a bargain back in 2019 at $5k-$7k.   

And the only PSA 10 of the rookie sticker went for $58k (last sold in 2018 for under $7k)

Screenshot2023-11-09at6_13_37PM.thumb.png.c61dd04d2586852811d592c40768ccc8.png

Screenshot2023-11-09at6_15_12PM.thumb.png.8cd837ce544a4542de42a9975662a7dc.png

Screenshot2023-11-09at6_18_35PM.thumb.png.62317000561566272e845a9c1c0d798c.png

Edited by DC#