• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,294 posts in this topic

Wasn’t all that long ago spidy 238 9.8’s were $500.00 regardless of newsstand or not.  Spidy 300 9.8’s were well below $1000.00, I guess the tide has risen.   I sold a lot of 9.8 copies of both, like 20-30 copies before this run up.  That tide could still be retreating. 

On 11/30/2023 at 9:13 PM, Nick Furious said:

Next year we will realize that it had no business selling for $9,669.

The interesting thing to see is there are only 7 CGC 9.6's on the census.  Now I'm curious to see if some of the other 9.6's will somehow get shoved onto auctions to make whatever they can before "the price tanks". Of course, the irony of it all could end up being the dumping on the market ends up causing the prices to drop.  lol.

On 11/30/2023 at 4:56 PM, 1Cool said:

That book must be so plentiful that people don’t want it if it doesn’t have the add on tattooz, don’t want it unless it’s newsstand and now don’t want it unless it’s the Canadian printing.  CPV is new to me.  I thought it was that stupid company that will put a sticker on books that present really well.

Yeah, I heard that they give them away on Free Comic Book Day if they aren't CPV.  

Speaking of the “little sticker” - I noticed several books in this auction had no CVA sticker when the first preview images came up but then had CVA stickers at some point before the auction.    

Very curious as to how that worked.   Did clink ask clients before tagging their books?  These were not fresh slabs either.  

Edited by DC#

My favourite is still the December 2018 peak for Marvel Super-Heroes #13 CGC 9.4 when three copies sold for $12.4K, $11.7K, and $12.3K during the Captain Marvel movie hype bubble. The movie was released in March 2019 and by June it had dropped more than 50% in value.

On 12/1/2023 at 12:08 AM, DC# said:

Speaking of the “little sticker” - I noticed several books in this auction had no CVS sticker when the first preview images came up but then had CVS stickers at some point before the auction.    

Very curious as to how that worked.   Did clink ask clients before tagging their books?  These were not fresh slabs either.  

Yes, it costs to get those stickers. I got a phone call on a book saying it was eligible for the sticker and costs $50.00. I took it.

On 12/1/2023 at 1:11 AM, comicnoir said:

Yes, it costs to get those stickers. I got a phone call on a book saying it was eligible for the sticker and costs $50.00. I took it.

Just to clarify, It was Clink, not the sticker company, who called and told you your book was sticker worthy?

On 12/1/2023 at 4:33 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Just to clarify, It was Clink, not the sticker company, who called and told you your book was sticker worthy?

Are you implying CLink is affiliated with the sticker company?

On 12/1/2023 at 5:01 AM, 1Cool said:

Are you implying CLink is affiliated with the sticker company?

Yes, same as CC has their own affiliation. I just thought there was a little more separation between auction house and grading service than this

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 12/1/2023 at 4:28 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Yes, same as CC has their own affiliation. I just thought there was a little more separation between auction house and grading service than this

It is interesting.   Does CVA have a dedicated staff that audits incoming auction inventory for candidates?   Are they really just the same people?    Looking at CVA website does not really clear things up……

I know there have been other threads on this topic so apologies for derailing this thread.  

But even if ComicLink was the people producing the CVA stickers (not saying they are) then is it really a conflict of intertest?  The stickers are really just an opinion that a book presents very well and is not giving the books a boost in grades or even value if you don't agree with the sticker.  I don't really see the value in getting the sticker but I don't think the producers of the stickers need to be a stand alone company.

On 12/1/2023 at 7:47 AM, 1Cool said:

But even if ComicLink was the people producing the CVA stickers (not saying they are) then is it really a conflict of intertest?  The stickers are really just an opinion that a book presents very well and is not giving the books a boost in grades or even value if you don't agree with the sticker.  I don't really see the value in getting the sticker but I don't think the producers of the stickers need to be a stand alone company.

I don't disagree at all.    CGC is the critical, independent 3rd party validation service in this value chain.     But am curious about how many CVA designations have come from direct consumer engagement with the service or if all/most of CVA designations are a bi-product of coming through the ComicLink auction system.    

On 12/1/2023 at 2:11 AM, comicnoir said:

It was $20 when I said yes a couple of years ago. Inflation, I guess.

Based on what I was told at the time when I asked, people from CVA go through the books prior to each auction and selection ones that look really nice for the grade (understanding of course that they can only look through the slab). The owners of the slabs that are selected are contacted and they have the option of adding the CVA label for a price. I had a couple of books that definitely went for a lot more because of the CVA label and a couple of others that landed in the normal range. Overall it was a win for me at that time but if they are now charging $50 each it would an automatic no from me. 

Edited by Stefan_W

On 12/1/2023 at 1:49 PM, Stefan_W said:

It was $20 when I said yes a couple of years ago. Inflation, I guess.

Based on what I was told at the time when I asked, people from CVA go through the books prior to each auction and selection ones that look really nice for the grade (understanding of course that they can only look through the slab). The owners of the slabs that are selected are contacted and they have the option of adding the CVA label for a price. I had a couple of books that definitely went for a lot more because of the CVA label and a couple of others that landed in the normal range. Overall it was a win for me at that time but if they are now charging $50 each it would an automatic no from me. 

Wasn't it $3 when they first started?!?